RedSea No3Po4 Too Good to be True?

UraniumPotato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I started a nano 5-gallon softies and LPS reef tank with live rock and regular sand 3 months ago. The tank cycled well, currently, an Ocellaris and a cleaner shrimp along with a snail are its only inhabitants. Got some Zoas, mushrooms, GSP, Xenia and a Torch.

Two weeks ago my nitrates were reading 10ppm on the Salifert kit. Since then, I started using RedSea NoPoX, (0.4 ml per day) and within the span of less than a week, my nitrate has dropped to zero on the Salifert kit...

My filtration consists of a skimmer and a chaeto in fuge.

I think I'm feeding quite heavily. The clown fish gets frozen food every day and I spot-feed 2 ml of RedSea AB+ every single day. Why is nitrate still so low?
My Xenia is also wilting following a growth spurt, probably because the nitrate dropped so fast. GSP also doesn't open much. But excellent growth from Mushrooms, Zoas, and even the torch.

Should I reduce the NoPoX dose or just feed more food? And the Chaeto shares the same light as the corals. It is a breeder box HOB.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works - and yes, it can work that fast. Yes, I would definitely reduce NOPOX (maybe every 2nd or 3rd day), test and adjust accordingly. You don't want to bottom-out your nitrates and phosphates for extended periods.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back