Redsea or waterbox

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never buy a LARGE tank with an aluminum stand, to flimsy. I would put a large tank on a steel stand but manufactures wouldn't build that because shipping is to much and it rusts if not maintained correctly .

I would never buy a any tank with a Plastic Plexiglas sump. Period.

What kind of salt do you like? :cool:

gregrobjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love waterbox. I have a 10g cube and it is very nice quality!
I agree Waterbox have a great design especially at 120g size where the Top up tank next to the sump is 10g and the piping is better standards and flow box is glass with 2 flow pipes at each sides not the front.

I have a Redsea for the last 2 months at 55g. Decided to change it end of this year to 120g 5ft or 6ft long.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own the red sea 650 Peninsula its a very beautiful tank . I have the 750 xl aswel but never filled it as we moved and had a perfecr spot for a peninsula tank.

IF i was looking today I prob. would go with the WB I believe there stands are all plywood the stand on the 650P to my surprise is not 100% plywood :(

one reason i went PnP was the clean look of the stands I wanted the sexy white stand.

another option is a custom tank from glasscages and either build your own stand or have a cabinet maker build one.

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Waterbox have a great design especially at 120g size where the Top up tank next to the sump is 10g and the piping is better standards and flow box is glass with 2 flow pipes at each sides not the front.

I have a Redsea for the last 2 months at 55g. Decided to change it end of this year to 120g 5ft or 6ft long.
I would go with 6ft, the best size! I’m planning a prostar 230 build for the end of this year. Choosing the prostar because of the cost, A LOT cheaper!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miss my marineland 120g. I drilled it myself. 1 hole. Glass holes overflow box kit. Return simple up and over with a 45 on the end.

I will say. Glass is heavy duty. Resistant. Low iron glass can be very clear....seams.
You have seams.

Acrylic tanks and sumps have bonded seams. No silicone between. Can be polished to be more clear imo than any glasd tank can be.

If thick and high quality can be a tank too but easily scratched. Lol
D

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a previous Red Sea owner I wouldn’t buy a tank from them again. The stands are really low quality compared to the premium that you pay.
If I was going for a turnkey system today I would give Cade a look. They aren’t represented in Europe but from afar they seem to be the best of the bunch.

gdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a great thread! thanks everyone for sharing!
I will be getting the RS, even if the plumbing is a bit better in WB (and I do prefer metric), the larger sump and the aluminum supporting the weight is the clue for me

gregrobjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with 6ft, the best size! I’m planning a prostar 230 build for the end of this year. Choosing the prostar because of the cost, A LOT cheaper!
As anyone had D-D The Aquarium Solution Ltd aquarium before because I told there Weir is in the one corner of the tank and gives a better flow...

John734

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do not buy a Waterbox. In my experience worst company I’ve ever had to deal with.
You’re better off going with glasscages and having a stand made!
Waterbox are crap Chinese aquariums

John734

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know it sounds petty, but I bought a brand new waterbox still in the crate from a fellow reefer here on the forums. He did not have the plumbing kit for it. which are specific to this brand being 20mm and 25mm and in a very thin walled pvc. Ask the company if I could purchase one and they said no, not unless I was the original owner. Ask them for a replacement kit for the water box that I personally bought from them last year they also said no.
So if you ever happen to move or need to sell your aquarium, the resell value will be junk, because they will not stand by their product one bit after it’s sold.

John734

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And really, all waterbox is a retail store. They don’t make anything here for their tanks, everything comes from China.
I ordered a tank from them earlier this year only to cancel it later. They said it was in stock,then a week later I get an email saying it isn’t. Then they tried to switch me over to buying a bigger tank which was in stock. Very deceptive, Felt like a bait and switch tactic.

gregrobjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And really, all waterbox is a retail store. They don’t make anything here for their tanks, everything comes from China.
I ordered a tank from them earlier this year only to cancel it later. They said it was in stock,then a week later I get an email saying it isn’t. Then they tried to switch me over to buying a bigger tank which was in stock. Very deceptive, Felt like a bait and switch tactic.
Have you heard of D&D solutions aquariums?

John734

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have you heard of D&D solutions aquariums?
Next tank will be a glass cages without a doubt , i’ve seen a couple now in person and they’re really nice quality, inexpensive and obviously customizable!!
By getting a big box store aquarium you really lack the ability to customize anything. You’re stuck with their aquarium ,their plumbing set up, their cabinet and the rest of their issues.
Mark my words, in a year or two everybody’s gonna be complaining about waterbox quality. They cannot keep up with demand so usually quality suffers, along with their customer support.

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next tank will be a glass cages without a doubt , i’ve seen a couple now in person and they’re really nice quality, inexpensive and obviously customizable!!
By getting a big box store aquarium you really lack the ability to customize anything. You’re stuck with their aquarium ,their plumbing set up, their cabinet and the rest of their issues.
Mark my words, in a year or two everybody’s gonna be complaining about waterbox quality. They cannot keep up with demand so usually quality suffers, along with their customer support.
Me and my new 220.6 hope that you're wrong :|

John734

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
7D247869-B62F-4809-9918-6A7FDBE47E18.png
This was a week or so after I ordered earlier this year (I canceled my order ) and this is their response to me asking if I could purchase the plumbing kit

Attachments

• D029EA9B-3941-4C4E-B3EF-D533B4A691E1.png
    D029EA9B-3941-4C4E-B3EF-D533B4A691E1.png
    220.4 KB · Views: 61

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7D247869-B62F-4809-9918-6A7FDBE47E18.png
This was a week or so after I ordered earlier this year (I canceled my order ) and this is their response to me asking if I could purchase the plumbing kit

The first tank they sent me had a crack in it. They replaced it quickly, which was great. The manifold in their plumbing assembly has a leak.. I tried to repair but failed. I sent them an email asking for a price to buy a full assembly as I need a new manifold and figured it would be safe to have a backup for the rest of the plumbing as well. They responded in a relatively threatening manner by saying it was against their policy to send plumbing for the broken tank and that they were reporting me to their claims department. I even called last week about my plumbing issue and the rep told me to email them if I ended up needing the plumbing. I called them out on this via email and have not yet heard back. Was very satisfied with their CS team up until this point.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back