RedSea Reefer 425 G2

Mark-Stover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to buy my first good size reef tank after several years of haunting the forums and reading everything I can get my hands on, not to mention watching every video from BRS etc. I'm interested in the RedSea 425 G2, but I have to ask, and I know this is probably a taboo subject (RedSea wouldn't reply to me when I asked)...with all the great redesigns that they put into the G2 series, did they fix the issue of their tanks busting seams? I'm so nervous about it, that although it looks great, I'm thinking another vendor (Waterbox or Cade) would just be safer and better for my peace of mind. Thoughts?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seam issues were really only on the larger tanks (625 and up) due to issues with cabinet support. So yes, you'll be perfectly fine with a Red Sea. A Cade is also a great upgrade, so I wouldn't hesitate there, either. Waterbox - I'd pass.

OP
OP
Mark-Stover

Mark-Stover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seam issues were really only on the larger tanks (625 and up) due to issues with cabinet support. So yes, you'll be perfectly fine with a Red Sea. A Cade is also a great upgrade, so I wouldn't hesitate there, either. Waterbox - I'd pass.
Thanks for the reply. Just curious, why not a fan of Waterbox?

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox and original model ResSea. The Waterbox is fantastic. The Red Sea is good. I’m sure the newer Red Seas are even better.

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the recommendation for Red Sea. Had a reefer350 for years and no issues other than the gate valve which sucks but the new ones are an improved design. I like the Red Sea sumps much better than the waterbox ones, and since you can’t get the tanks without the sumps that was a deal breaker for me on the waterbox.

You do see the RedSea seam busting horror stories online but I’d say that’s just the bad stories getting the most attention, and I’d say statistically with the number of tanks RedSea sells, it’s a small percentage of their sales. Also, as the other user pointed out, the main seam issues were with larger tanks and buckling in the middle with their plywood cabinets. The newer, larger sizes have steel cabinets.

OP
OP
Mark-Stover

Mark-Stover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the recommendation for Red Sea. Had a reefer350 for years and no issues other than the gate valve which sucks but the new ones are an improved design. I like the Red Sea sumps much better than the waterbox ones, and since you can’t get the tanks without the sumps that was a deal breaker for me on the waterbox.

You do see the RedSea seam busting horror stories online but I’d say that’s just the bad stories getting the most attention, and I’d say statistically with the number of tanks RedSea sells, it’s a small percentage of their sales. Also, as the other user pointed out, the main seam issues were with larger tanks and buckling in the middle with their plywood cabinets. The newer, larger sizes have steel cabinets.
Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate the advice. It looks to me as if RedSea has all the features I need, has tried to fix the issues they had, and has made some great enhancements with the G2. I love the sump design. Not to mention the price is the best of the ones I’m looking at. I think I’ve made my decision…then again .

parclife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently making the same choice… for £300 cheaper and the improvements the reefer seems the sensible choice to the Waterbox.. have you ordered yet?

OP
OP
Mark-Stover

Mark-Stover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently making the same choice… for £300 cheaper and the improvements the reefer seems the sensible choice to the Waterbox.. have you ordered yet?
No, not yet. Have a few other more important hinges to pay for first, but I have decided to go with the redsea. I hope to order it in the next couple months.

OP
OP
Mark-Stover

Mark-Stover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really doesn’t matter which one you get because in a year from now you will want a bigger tank :)
I haven’t even bought it yet and already want a bigger one, but nothing bigger is gonna fit.…unless I can get rid of the wife’s China hutch, but that won’t be happening.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friend of mine has a 525 g2 and it seems built 100x’s better than the original red sea reefer tanks! The original ones leaked due to a poorly designed stand which sagged causing the seams to break!

Back