Redsea reefer G2 525XL overflow drain pipes backwards

teethdoctor23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I installed my overflow drain pipes backwards in the overflow box on my new Redsea 525 XL.

The main drain pipe from the overflow box into the sump is where the emergency drain pipe should be. This means the drain valve is being completely bypassed. I didn’t realize the instructions showed the view from the back on the overflow, not the front. Now I can’t unscrew the drain pipes.

Any tips/solutions?

71004270013__2711099A-3FBD-4E34-B6C8-1BD319362C8E.jpeg IMG_1302.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel bad - I did the exact same thing when I first setup my tank. You can unscrew them (which is what I did) - it may just involve draining the water from the overflow at this point so you can disconnect the overflow pipes and loosen the nuts holding the overflow pipes in-place in the bulkhead (it's been a few years so I'm just going off memory).

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep... drain the tank so its a bit under the weir and get the shop vac out to remove the water from inside the overflow. then you can switch them. If you don’t have a shop vac, now is the time to get the Home Depot 5g bucket vac.

BaldAndBeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so glad I stumbled onto this post. Was just filling my tank, browsing others with similar tanks and this made me realize I had mine on backwards as well. Luckily I only had a small amount of water in the overflow box, so wasn't too difficult to switch.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back