RedSea ReefLED 90 - First Setup and not working

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Just returned to the hobby after 15 years and bought a redsea max 170. Finally got everything set up and ready to go except for the ReefLED 90 that came with the aquarium.

Let me preface this by saying I've already contacted RedSea and am waiting to hear back from them, but wanted to check the forums to see if anyone has had this specific problem.

I was having a bunch of connectivity issues where the light wouldn't connect to my home wifi (for the record my wifi strength is good as I have a mesh system at home with complete coverage all over). I tried multiple times over the last 24 hours to get this to work. Somehow it even showed up in my device manager in reefbeat, but it must not have been actually connected because the lights would not come on when i scheduled them. I decided to delete the device from reefbeat and try doing a factory reset followed by unplugging the light for a good minute or so. Held the button down for 15 seconds and the reset seemed to have gone through. Unplugged the light and waited. Plugged the light back in and now both the plug and the gear lights are a solid red. To my surprise, I now cannot put the light in AP mode! I've tried holding down for 5 seconds. Tried to do another factory reset. Tried unplugging for 5 minutes and plugging back in. Nothing seems to work here. Anyone have any suggestions here or did i possibly get a bum unit?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Just returned to the hobby after 15 years and bought a redsea max 170. Finally got everything set up and ready to go except for the ReefLED 90 that came with the aquarium.

Let me preface this by saying I've already contacted RedSea and am waiting to hear back from them, but wanted to check the forums to see if anyone has had this specific problem.

I was having a bunch of connectivity issues where the light wouldn't connect to my home wifi (for the record my wifi strength is good as I have a mesh system at home with complete coverage all over). I tried multiple times over the last 24 hours to get this to work. Somehow it even showed up in my device manager in reefbeat, but it must not have been actually connected because the lights would not come on when i scheduled them. I decided to delete the device from reefbeat and try doing a factory reset followed by unplugging the light for a good minute or so. Held the button down for 15 seconds and the reset seemed to have gone through. Unplugged the light and waited. Plugged the light back in and now both the plug and the gear lights are a solid red. To my surprise, I now cannot put the light in AP mode! I've tried holding down for 5 seconds. Tried to do another factory reset. Tried unplugging for 5 minutes and plugging back in. Nothing seems to work here. Anyone have any suggestions here or did i possibly get a bum unit?
Sounds like a bum unit.

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a bum unit.
For posterity I found a different way to do a hard reset on this forum. Hold down the settings button and unplug and plug in the unit 3 times. Still had massive troubles getting it connected but after another 2 hours of fiddling with it it magically connected. I still get connection errors but am at least able to turn the lights on.

DeepSouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still had massive troubles getting it connected
I have had my 90's (three of them) for a year with lots of connectivity problems. On one light I had to take apart the unit to take out the bios battery to get the unit to do a hard reset. I had repeated problems getting the units to connect (kept saying I had network problem) I switched from android to an apple device and got it to work.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These lights seem no bueno, lots of issues connecting and staying connected.

1606334385488.png

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These lights seem no bueno, lots of issues connecting and staying connected.

1606334385488.png
I got it working but it took an hour of setting up, deleting, trying to reconnect, deleting, reconnecting, hard reset etc. it was super irritating to say the least. Eventually it took and it works fine now, but the app leaves a lot to be desired in terms of user friendliness in my opinion. Especially on the gyre they sell. I’m actually thinking of switching to a mp10

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I just worked with Red Sea on this.
I bought two reefwave's and two reefLEDs and 3/4 of them worked flawlessly.
I poste on the red sea fb group and was directed to their contact/support page on their website. They have phenomenal support. Honestly, just fill out the form and let them contact you (less than 24 hours), in short my controller was just not working and they mailed me a new one for free! Awesome support, I would really recommend reaching out.

DamWop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having an issue finishing the setup for one of my lights. I’ve reset Them a few times , unplugged them as well. It makes to very last step as it’s connecting to network and says try again or proceed. Here is what it looks like. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My other light connects without issue.

Attachments

• 3A48DE7B-A44B-45C0-AABB-2B64615325A0.png
    3A48DE7B-A44B-45C0-AABB-2B64615325A0.png
    113.6 KB · Views: 24
Back