Reducing evaporation with acrylic light fixture panels?

Humble_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200208_123256.jpg

Anybody ever use these to cover a frag tank? I have a 24x48 frag tank that I need to reduce evaporation on. My lights are at 50%, so Im assuming a mild reduction in par would be okay if I just crank up the lights to compensate.

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be more expensive, but I would go the clear Plexiglas route. Just my personal opinion, but I think over time you would be unhappy with a lid you cant see through. I think these would work, but having a clear top will give you more predictable measures to set your lights to.

OP
OP
Humble_Reefer

Humble_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be more expensive, but I would go the clear Plexiglas route. Just my personal opinion, but I think over time you would be unhappy with a lid you cant see through. I think these would work, but having a clear top will give you more predictable measures to set your lights to.

Good point. Probably worth the extra $50 in the long run...

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi use 3/8 glass won't bow easy to clean won't fog after time from lights jmo

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use Plexi (acrylic) for lids. Use Lexan (polycarbonate) instead. Similar optical properties, but acrylic absorbs water and will start to bow unless you get it cut unnecessarily thick. Polycarbonate doesn't absorb water, so it'll remain unbowed. It will attract dust and salt creep, but it doesn't have much effect on PAR (you lose maybe 10%, so just dial up your lights a bit to compensate).

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good idea with the PC. Much better plastic.
I'm kinda kicking myself right now.... I work in the plastics industry.... lol I should know better.

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am thinking about getting a sheet of clear PC for my 75 gallon as well as the sump to reduce evaporation. How often do you find yourself wiping them down?

OP did you go this route? Have any pictures or advice on how theyre doing?

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use Plexi (acrylic) for lids. Use Lexan (polycarbonate) instead. Similar optical properties, but acrylic absorbs water and will start to bow unless you get it cut unnecessarily thick. Polycarbonate doesn't absorb water, so it'll remain unbowed. It will attract dust and salt creep, but it doesn't have much effect on PAR (you lose maybe 10%, so just dial up your lights a bit to compensate).
Why not using using glass instead of polycarbonate?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This post is spot on ... Different materials have different absorption properties (or whatever the word is)
Anyway, indeed whatever light passes through changes its spectral properties...
I wanna say FAMA or TFH had a table of different materials and their effects on PAR or Lumens or whatever it was back then
Basically you can’t just slap a piece of glass over the tank and not expect some loss of light

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to design and build a lid for my 230 gal rimless peninsula.
While researching and quoting materials I found conflicting information.
The plastics store close by recommended acrylic for my application and I saw articles like this https://www.acplasticsinc.com/informationcenter/r/lexan-vs-acrylic
that seem to favor acrylic's properties over plucarbonate's for my application. Plus, I have seen acrylic tanks and never polycarbonate.
Nevertheless I have seen a few messages in R2R that state polycarbonate is better.
Can anyone elaborate on the benefits of polycarbonate over acrylic for aquarium lids?
Reference articles along with anecdotal evidence would be extra helpful.
Thanks

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, unless 1" thick either will bow,even with supports,go low iron glass?? :)

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They recommend 3/8.
A 4 by 8 sheet of acrylic goes for $150 and polycarbonate for $250.
I'm thinking about splitting the lid in 3 sections and using some sort of double layer for the frame to improve rigidity, specially for the middle section.
I plan to make each section convertible between mesh and acrylic lid so I can control evaporation.
I'm not confortable working with glass and I think the intricate design will require plastic.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use Plexi (acrylic) for lids. Use Lexan (polycarbonate) instead. Similar optical properties, but acrylic absorbs water and will start to bow unless you get it cut unnecessarily thick.

Was about to make this very point!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to the greatly reduced oxygen exchange caused by any solid top, I got rid of them completely years ago. Sure, there is some evaporation, but at least IMO it is a small price to pay for a healthier tank. In addition, because anything you cover the tank can and will affect the amount of useable light that reaches the tank, I find that anything more than a simple screen top just costs me more in lighting - both upfront (having to purchase more powerful lights) and long term(your electric bill)

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the feedback. I was worried about the evaporation making my basement more humid than it already is but with winter upon us I think I won't mind the extra humidity. I've been running Neptune ATO without issue.
Thanks to your feedback I have changed my mind, now I'm planning to make a DIY mesh top with polycarbonate frame.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back