Reducing nitrates and phosphates in a cycled tank

Thakki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is the best way to reduce nitrates and phosphates in a newly cycled tank other than water changes. Started the cycle with all live rock...no signs of ammonia...nitrate is at 4ppm and phosphates is 0.36 ppm. No fish or corals in the tank yet and no lights yet...I am sure if I start the lights I will have algae issues...so I was thinking if I can run gfo to reduce the phosphates? Or any other means other than doing water changes...I want to go brs-wwc recommendation of 3 to 4 months without live stock...just let the tank take its course of action...but I am worried if I start the lights with so much nutrients its possible that algae might take over...any suggestions?

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the biggest reasons for the four month cycle is so that you can use things you otherwise wouldn't with livestock in the tank. Gfo is rather pricey to remove po4 with no livestock. Could easily just dose something like phosphate rx or po4-e to remove the po4

Just my .02

OP
OP
Thakki

Thakki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good idea...looks like WWC does exactly that on their systems.

OP
OP
Thakki

Thakki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just let it be honestly if your going hands off and not feeding the tank.
The bacteria will eat it.
Leave the lights off. Don’t introduce any means for alge to get in like corals.

I thought bacteria will only consume ammonia...nitrates and phosphates need to be removed or exported...am I missing something?

OP
OP
Thakki

Thakki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe that's what @Ryanbrs was saying is that this method allows you to remove excess nutrients, treat cyano, etc without fear of negative effects to livestock

So you are saying...remove excess nutrients using chemicals or water changes until the lights are turned on?

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are saying...remove excess nutrients using chemicals or water changes until the lights are turned on?

Water changes will be sufficient to reduce the PO4 levels. The No3 levels will slowly come down on their own as the anaerobic bacteria colonies build and start to consume it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought bacteria will only consume ammonia...nitrates and phosphates need to be removed or exported...am I missing something?
We use nopox and other carbon dosing to reduce Po4 by increasing the amount of bacteria in the tank yes?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a tank that is not fed will starve itself out.

You could carbon dose , and if the Po4 isn’t where you want it by the time you are ready for Coral, I agree, lanthanum would be the easy way to go.

Organic Carbon dosing will lower no3 first , then Po4 and build a strong bio filter.
Do use caution imo, as ULNS seem to be a magnet for dinos of late.

OP
OP
Thakki

Thakki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, a tank that is not fed will starve itself out.

You could carbon dose , and if the Po4 isn’t where you want it by the time you are ready for Coral, I agree, lanthanum would be the easy way to go.

Organic Carbon dosing will lower no3 first , then Po4 and build a strong bio filter.
Do use caution imo, as ULNS seem to be a magnet for dinos of late.
Are you suggesting I run biopellets for next two months? That way taking care of no3 and po4 ?

OP
OP
Thakki

Thakki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At the same I can dose small amount of no3 and po4...to address uln tank issues.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you reduce and increase at the same time.

OP
OP
Thakki

Thakki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why would you reduce and increase at the same time.
To avoid ultra low nutrient issues...I have been there...there were times I struggled to raise no3 in my tank to 2 ppm without algae boom in my old tank.

OP
OP
Thakki

Thakki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want the increase to be very manageable if possible...not sure if it can be managed.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Play it by feel and see how it goes.
In your tank , I’d consider lanthanum for the Po4 , and no3 should build naturally.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 75 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back