Reducing nitrates and phosphates in a cycled tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thakki
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Why are your Phosphates so high to start with? I imagine from the Rock cure and in that case wait until it drops on its own. You can get it down with a large waterchange later before you turn on the lights.
 
My situation is the opposite of yours, my NO3 is off the charts. Too purple to read on the Red Sea NO3 test. PO4 is zero on my Hanna meter. I’m 2.5 months into my cycle. Tanks have cycled. To do large water changes wouldn’t be easy. I have 500 gallons total in my system. I hooked up my ATS and started dosing KH2PO4. My NO3 levels are coming down and I have algae starting to grow on the ATS screen. Been watching the BRS and WWC videos. I’m going to do the 4 month cycle as per the videos. Just sent a water sample to Triton to see where things are with the water. Started with dry rock, but I also have some 3+ year old rock in my temporary tanks and some LR from KP Aquatics that I’m going to move into the new setup in the next couple of weeks.

Good luck with your setup.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new