Reducing spotting on the sand etc.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had Radions XR39s gen 3s I successfully made and fitted my own diffusers. I even sold them on eBay. Some months ago I upgraded to 2 x Orphek Atlantic's V4s onmy D-D 1500 pro reef. In order to reduce light spill my Orpheks are 10" off the waters surface. The slightly downside is I get some spotting on the sand esp red.
I have seen a DIY diffuser fitted to an Orphek compact but it was fitted 1.1/2" below the light. To my mind and experience this is to far away from the light source and would reduce PAR too much and even scatter the light.
too much.
I have a design of diffuser in mind that will fit close to the light, about 1/4" off the light. I am confident this will eliminate spotting on the sand. Any thoughts o the above.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the "disco ball effect"?
I guess the only way to really know would be to get a PAR and spectrum meter and test the diffuser on the Orphek that you don't think is good. Then test the one you're designing.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the "disco ball effect"?
I guess the only way to really know would be to get a PAR and spectrum meter and test the diffuser on the Orphek that you don't think is good. Then test the one you're designing.
U fortunately I don't know anybody with a PAR meter. However the manufacturers of the diffusers state there is a 11% reduction in PAR which isn't so bad in truth.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

Back