*Reef-A-Palooza 2021!* cpl ques??

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fellow reefers!
Is anyone going to this year's show?? I got tix to go last year a bc it was canceled they transferred to this year. I wasnt sure if I was going go with everything going on but bc Ive been stuck home for the past yr I said why not. This will be my first show. So I have a cpl ques from a newbie going for the first time.
So first ques is what do you do if you want to buy some coral? (I'm traveling to FL from Boston by plane) Do I have to bring some sort of portable tank or cooler with heater and air?? And then is it possible to fly back home with the tank/cooler on plane w you? Or do u buy some and they can ship to you afterwards? Or is each vendor different. I just want to know what to expect and be prepared.
Second, I see that this years show is in 2 blocks each day. Is there certain things/vendors happening on certain days or does it not matter which day you go. I plan to go both days buy I didn't know if it matters which block you attend or if it is the same both days.
Lastly, say you bought a coral on sat. will it make it if I'm flying back mon night? Or can they hold it till Sunday? Are there any tricks or advice you guys have for traveling with all this stuff and any other advice in general about what to expect this year would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys
;Smuggrin

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will be there for most of the show. Here are a couple of threads that you may find helpful:

Keeping the temperature consistent is key!

Kirch899

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fellow reefers!
Is anyone going to this year's show?? I got tix to go last year a bc it was canceled they transferred to this year. I wasnt sure if I was going go with everything going on but bc Ive been stuck home for the past yr I said why not. This will be my first show. So I have a cpl ques from a newbie going for the first time.
So first ques is what do you do if you want to buy some coral? (I'm traveling to FL from Boston by plane) Do I have to bring some sort of portable tank or cooler with heater and air?? And then is it possible to fly back home with the tank/cooler on plane w you? Or do u buy some and they can ship to you afterwards? Or is each vendor different. I just want to know what to expect and be prepared.
Second, I see that this years show is in 2 blocks each day. Is there certain things/vendors happening on certain days or does it not matter which day you go. I plan to go both days buy I didn't know if it matters which block you attend or if it is the same both days.
Lastly, say you bought a coral on sat. will it make it if I'm flying back mon night? Or can they hold it till Sunday? Are there any tricks or advice you guys have for traveling with all this stuff and any other advice in general about what to expect this year would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys
;Smuggrin

This will be my first year going to Reef-A-Palooza, I would assume you would have to get corals shipped (I could be wrong). Also, many vendors hold items until you a ready to leave, I have experienced this at other shows I have attended.

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my first year going to Reef-A-Palooza, I would assume you would have to get corals shipped (I could be wrong). Also, many vendors hold items until you a ready to leave, I have experienced this at other shows I have attended.
I assumed the same thing w shipping but I was talking to sum1 at my LFS and they said every1 brings their own coolers w a frag rack, heater and bubbler inside. So I was like watttt I needa figure this out soon before I go so I don't get stuck down there and not be able to buy anything.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are TSA approved containers that many people have used without issue, but it is TSA so nothing is truly guaranteed.

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are TSA approved containers that many people have used without issue, but it is TSA so nothing is truly guaranteed.
I agree. It kind of makes me not want to even risk buying any corals just incase I get a douchey TSA officer who is having a bad day lol. There has to be a safe way to fly home w them. It's one of the main reasons I'm going.
Ugh well I hope to figure all these ques out before the show!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please dont end up on that tv show where ppl almost got away with it. I saw one where a guy had illegal birds tied to his body. Lol. Yes the airport caught him. Or they end up in a mexican prison. Lol.
Be careful please. Call ahead.
D

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The building an obsession insulated containers are tsa approved
I was just going to post this!

I've flown home from florida with frags in this container. TSA had me take the container out, they checked what was in the container, and the fluid to make sure it was only salt water, and I was on my way.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To your other question.
The reason they have 2 time blocks for each day is because of covid gathering restrictions. Only so many people allowed at a time. Nothing will be different for each block. Same vendors.

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if I should try and change my flight home. I had originally wanted to stay an extra day and leave Monday night but forgot that it might be too long for any corals i may get to stay in my hotel room lol. I didn't even think about that until I saw a lot of ppl up here say they were flying out Sunday night right after show. Makes sense now that I think about it lol ;Facepalm

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insulated cooler with a heat pack. I bought corals on saturday morning, and drove home on monday. They were fine left in their bags. I just left them in my hotel room window on saturday and sunday so they got some light. When we left on monday they were still warm and polyps were open in the bags.

I just put them in an insulated cooler with a fresh heat pack. All day saturday, all day sunday, and basically all day monday in a bag(10 hour drive home), and all corals made it.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Insulated cooler with a heat pack. I bought corals on saturday morning, and drove home on monday. They were fine left in their bags. I just left them in my hotel room window on saturday and sunday so they got some light. When we left on monday they were still warm and polyps were open in the bags.

I just put them in an insulated cooler with a fresh heat pack. All day saturday, all day sunday, and basically all day monday in a bag(10 hour drive home), and all corals made it.

All good tips! What type of corals did you get? Do you think that any types would have struggled with this approach?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good tips! What type of corals did you get? Do you think that any types would have struggled with this approach?
I would think delicate SPS might suffer, and I wouldn't do any clams or livestock, but as long as they are kept warm... We have certainly read on these forums of corals arriving late in the mail for a couple days and surviving. Maybe I just got lucky? IDK

I bought a mint chip pavona, green slimer, bubble gum digi, pink tipped aussie elegance, and some SPS I forget the name of from jason fox. Nothing major or super delicate, but both types of corals represented.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back