Reef Aquarium Fact #151 Mr Clean Magic erasers makes cleaning glass easy INSIDE and OUT.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's Inside Mr. Clean Magic Eraser?

Melamine. On its own, melamine is just an organic base in the form of white crystals. But when combined with other compounds, it can transform into a plush foam—the Magic Eraser—with a sandpaper-like microscopic texture.

Formaldehyde. (Are you flipping kidding me? Inside the tank?) This stuff is best known as the smelly liquid that's used to preserve dead animals for decades and possibly forever. By itself, formaldehyde can be dangerous and sometimes lethal—irritating the skin, corroding internal tissue, and even causing cancer.

Sodium Bisulfite. ... Alone, this stuff has antimicrobial properties; it’s excellent as a preservative for winemaking. Here, it can help boost resin production, but it’s best used sparingly—sulfite-modified foams are less stable and can emit formaldehyde under certain conditions.

IMO.... everyone using this INSIDE the tank is nuts.

You might be getting away with murder in the short term.....but the long term effect inside a tank, you're nuts dealing with Formaldehyde...Would you take 0.1ml of liquid Formaldehyde and dose your tank week-in week-out with it? You cant be serious....Heck throw in some Ajacks while you're at it. Lol

I will not subject my $2000+ coral collection and $1000 fish collection just for having "clean glass" because its "easy".... That'll be like me drinking and swallowing 2ozs of hydrogen peroxide every morning to clean my mouth but in 6mos burn a hole in my stomach

Last edited:

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Melamine. On its own, melamine is just an organic base in the form of white crystals. But when combined with other compounds, it can transform into a plush foam—the Magic Eraser—with a sandpaper-like microscopic texture.

Formaldehyde. (Are you flipping kidding me? Inside the tank?) This stuff is best known as the smelly liquid that's used to preserve dead animals for decades and possibly forever. By itself, formaldehyde can be dangerous and sometimes lethal—irritating the skin, corroding internal tissue, and even causing cancer.

Sodium Bisulfite. ... Alone, this stuff has antimicrobial properties; it’s excellent as a preservative for winemaking. Here, it can help boost resin production, but it’s best used sparingly—sulfite-modified foams are less stable and can emit formaldehyde under certain conditions.

You might be getting away with murder in the short term.....but the long term effect inside a tank, you're nuts dealing with Formaldehyde...Would you take 0.1ml of liquid Formaldehyde and dose your tank week-in week-out with it? You cant be serious....Heck throw in some Ajacks while you're at it. Lol

I will not subject my $2000+ coral collection and $1000 fish collection just for having "clean glass" because its "easy".... That'll be like me drinking and swallowing 2ozs of hydrogen peroxide every morning to clean my mouth but in 6mos burn a hole in my stomach

Chemical formula of water... H2O

Hydrogen, highly flammable gas. Odorless, tasteless, colorless. The explosive limits are from 18 to 60% hydrogen in air. It's flammable from 4 to 75% in air.

Oxygen, reacts with almost everything as am oxidizer. Toxic to breathe pure oxygen. Makes almost everything instantly flammable due to oxidation properties.

Anyone who puts those chemicals in their tank are just asking for trouble. I will not subject my house and family to the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide. We are completely free of that dangerous chemical here. I'll not have it.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm... i have been using it over and over without issue.. infact.. i have to fight to keep my fish away from it.. one angel took and nip and.. yes he ate it and did not spit it out. Must be similar to ocean sponge LOL

fredk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From wikipedia:

Formaldehyde does not accumulate in the environment, because it is broken down within a few hours by sunlight or by bacteria present in soil or water. Humans metabolize formaldehyde quickly, converting it to formic acid, so it does not accumulate in the body.

Base reactions
Cannizzaro reaction in the presence of basic catalysts to produce formic acid and methanol.
I suspect there will be a few basic cabalysts present in salt water given its Ph.

I also suspect that, unless the material breaks down very quickly you will only ever have trace amounts released into the aquarium while using the pad.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it for like on a min or two between my shark magnets and the glass. It turns green from the hard algae and I toss it. I do use a razor to slice the product into smaller thinner pieces.

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What would you recommend?

WARz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formaldehyde is not and has never been an ingredient in Magic Eraser. One ingredient in Magic Eraser (formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer) contains the word 'formaldehyde' in its chemical name. However, this ingredient is not formaldehyde and poses no health or safety risks

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny this came up again.. i just pulled my cleaner out of the tank and had forgotten that I had an ereaser between it and the glass. was in the tank for at least two weeks. No issues.

Doobie65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "magic eraser" is an abrasive foam made from Melamine Polymer. The 2 active ingredients in making said polymer is melamine and formaldehyde. In its hardened state, melamine resins are used to make many household items such as plates, bowls, and a variety of utensils.
This myth has been DEBUNKED! No formaldehyde in this product.

WARz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of those green scrubbers on a pole. I pulled off the green scrubber and have been using the magic eraser sheets on it. Work fantastic.

20200618_195335.jpg

Shannon Califf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some mineral haze crap on my front panel that I cant' get rid of. I just pickedup magic eraser and came on R2R to make sure its Reefsafe. My tanks only 8 month I can't take this haze in the front panel - I know I can't be the only one with this problem! I clean my glass every other day with a flipper and my sand line with a blade! I've never experienced haze on glass tank before until this one. Only thing different is this is my first Starphire glass tank!
Did u get the haze removed? I have the same thing on mine. Its driving me crazy

Seahorse Cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for reefers who use the Magic Eraser with a magnet scraper (usually slicing the eraser in half to make it thinner): Now they’re available in sheets! Perfect for use with a mag scraper.

247F9815-9270-4DAF-B719-E1279AC5AEBA.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing! Although I'm not sure why they didn't include an aquarium on the packaging!!! :)

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use these? It does say it has anything added but wanted to double check with yall

Attachments

• 147A2E85-795B-440C-B3AA-59B04AE67712.jpeg
    147A2E85-795B-440C-B3AA-59B04AE67712.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 49

coralsandfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemical formula of water... H2O

Hydrogen, highly flammable gas. Odorless, tasteless, colorless. The explosive limits are from 18 to 60% hydrogen in air. It's flammable from 4 to 75% in air.

Oxygen, reacts with almost everything as am oxidizer. Toxic to breathe pure oxygen. Makes almost everything instantly flammable due to oxidation properties.

Anyone who puts those chemicals in their tank are just asking for trouble. I will not subject my house and family to the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide. We are completely free of that dangerous chemical here. I'll not have it.
kakakakak you got me good....dihydrogen monoxide sure is dangerous

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back