Reef Aquarium Fact #265 Different types of corals can grow(graft) together to create an infusion of

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #265

Different types of corals can grow(graft) together to create an infusion of color variations!

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

Grafted Montipora Capricornis
limitededition_graftedmontipora.jpg

image via WWC

Grafted LPS Chalice
7553149354_796bbd80ba.jpg

image via KLR

Grafted Palys
DSC03873_edited.jpg

image via Dace

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reality when we are talking about coral grafting we are not using the correct terms. grafting truly means to grow 2 corals together. when we use the term in the hobby we are talking about an infection of one color pigment from one coral to the other.

there have been some attempts at growing the corals together (true grafting) especially with montipora
untitled.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anybody got any pics?

Dan Rigle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo credit ,Felicia McCaulley..coral magazine,sept/oct.2012

196341_347885028642388_1709027392_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow that's a beautiful piece!

coralfish keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like an INTERESTING study taking two of the same type but different monties like a red and purple slice and glue the underside together and seeing what happens like grafting a plant . It would b a gr8 way to get new colors and aquacultured corals

Last edited:

Dsdaley77

*REEF ADDICT*
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of Grafting and Infection. A place local to me has been experimenting with all sorts of grafts and such. Problem for me is buying them because most are "one of a kind" and carry a "one of a kind" price ;) lol

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

Maybe you would explain the difference in all three? :)

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
grafting- an infection of one color pigment from one coral to the other. this has been seen in many differnet corals including sps and paly's
chimera- genetically distinct colonies are able to join together and form "super-colonies", which increases their survival! great article on it CORALZOO news: Coral chimeras

hybrid- when corals release eggs and sperm in the ocean it is possible to corals breed Example would be a staghorn and elkhorn can combine to make a totally new bush looking coral read more and see pics here Hybrid Corals Befuddle Experts - ScienceNOW

i think we need to list another category, and that would be man made grafting where you are gluing to differnet colors of a similar coral together (eg the red and green monti's grown together above)

bob

Last edited:

Inverted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool!

Maybe you would explain the difference in all three? :)

I think Bob did a fine job :) although used a slight different definition of a graft than I had intended. I was using "grafting" as "uniting" two or more corals in proximity in an attempt to "fuse" them. What I was getting at was that when we "graft" or place corals together, we are hoping to get a stable fusion or "chimera" where the two actually grow together. The difference key I think is that just because we "graft" two corals doesn't mean they grow together, often the separate, or one grows over the other, or kills the other, or they kill each other etc...

A chimera though, is still really two separate organisms on a genetic level, as opposed two a hybrid, where there is a genetic combination of two organisms. We probably aren't trying to genetically combine corals gametes in a Petrie dish. So, for the purpouse of this thread, I think we are talking about grafting and graft-chimeras. I'm personally especially interested in seeing what success people have had with stable chimeras?

Also, hopefully posting RK stuff is okay? Here is a neat article fromEeefkeeping on grafting.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/nftt/index.php#0

grafting- an infection of one color pigment from one coral to the other. this has been seen in many differnet corals including sps and paly's
chimera- genetically distinct colonies are able to join together and form "super-colonies", which increases their survival! great article on it CORALZOO news: Coral chimeras

hybrid- when corals release eggs and sperm in the ocean it is possible to corals breed Example would be a staghorn and elkhorn can combine to make a totally new bush looking coral read more and see pics here Hybrid Corals Befuddle Experts - ScienceNOW

i think we need to list another category, and that would be man made grafting where you are gluing to differnet colors of a similar coral together (eg the red and green monti's grown together above)

bob

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on your corrections

and posting outside links especially for educational purposes is allowed. one of the great benefits of this forum comapred to that other place :bigsmile:
I think Bob did a fine job :) although used a slight different definition of a graft than I had intended. I was using "grafting" as "uniting" two or more corals in proximity in an attempt to "fuse" them. What I was getting at was that when we "graft" or place corals together, we are hoping to get a stable fusion or "chimera" where the two actually grow together. The difference key I think is that just because we "graft" two corals doesn't mean they grow together, often the separate, or one grows over the other, or kills the other, or they kill each other etc...

A chimera though, is still really two separate organisms on a genetic level, as opposed two a hybrid, where there is a genetic combination of two organisms. We probably aren't trying to genetically combine corals gametes in a Petrie dish. So, for the purpouse of this thread, I think we are talking about grafting and graft-chimeras. I'm personally especially interested in seeing what success people have had with stable chimeras?

Also, hopefully posting RK stuff is okay? Here is a neat article fromEeefkeeping on grafting.
Coral Fusion and Grafting by Justin Credabel - Reefkeeping.com

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back