Reef Breeder Photon V2 over a 90

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m debating picking up a used one of these fixtures. I can find tons of info about mounting height over 24” front to back, but not 18”. I have a standard 90 gal mixed reef….mainly LPS, zoas, , a few SPS, Ricordea, etc. I also use a canopy so my height would be limited. What would the optimal height be?

rickmc3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check BRS videos, they've done a lot of testing with these lights. I have some mounted 8" above one of my tanks. I used a par meter to dial them in and ended up lowering them for best coverage.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 50" ReefBreeders Photon V2 mounted inside my canopy. It is about 10 inches off the waterline. I have used the fixture for a little over 2 years now and also have a 90 gallon mixed reef with mostly acropora on top, montipora in the middle, and zoas, ricordeas, blastos, etc. towards the lower third. I went with the 50" after measuring the brackets my son had mounted inside the canopy and needed the extra 2 inches of fixture length.

My biggest word of caution would be if you mount the fixture inside your canopy, don't be tempted to use anything even close to maximum intensity. I know this from experience! I ramp up to a maximum intensity of about 50% on the blues and white, which happens at 3:00 p.m., and then start ramping down.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back