Reef Breeders Photon V2+ Apex Integration Issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm setting up a 48" Photon V2+ with 6 channel Apex control. I have watched the setup video (multiple times) and everything has gone well with the exception of setting the zero voltage point. The first time I did it, the reds and greens stayed lit when everything else was off. Repeated the process and now all channels are staying lit at 10% or less intensity when they should be off. I've repeated it several more times (light on, wait for it to cycle, all bulbs off, push button once) and all channels remain at ~1-10% intensity when they should be off. Although not a deal breaker, I would like to figure out how to get to true 0% intensity.

Also, will the light perform the same cycle-through-all-channels setup every day during startup under Apex control?

Thanks,

Mike

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite our best efforts the Apex VDM is constantly sending out very low voltage signals, even when the VDM slot is set to off. After further testing we recommend setting your zero point at the 1% or even 2% mark depending on how many lights you are running per VDM channel and how much interference your Apex is putting out.

When I say set your zero point at 1%, I mean the following:

1: First, open your apex dashboard, and select the VDM channels controlling your light. Then setup a program for each channel like this- 2 points only, both 1% power, from 00:00 to 23:59. Save an upload these to your apex for all channels, then be sure to set those channels to AUTO.

1643648417549.png

2: After that is done, plug your light in, and let it run through the startup sequence in full (all 6 channels come on from 0% to 100% then off one by one). With the VDM hooked up to the Photon VDM Integration kit, and all VDM channels set to AUTO, press the button on the VDM integration kit to calibrate your unit.

3: Set all VDM channels to the OFF position in your apex dashboard. If the lights are fully off with no low-power flashing, then your unit is now calibrated. If there is still some residual flashing in the OFF position, repeat steps 1-3 at 2%, then 3% power.

The most we have ever had to do was 2%, with a bank of 4 lights per VDM module, 8 lights total. Since the signal is split up multiple times, tiny amounts of residual voltage from the apex VDM have a greater chance of turning the lights on at low power when they are supposed to be off. Calibrating your unit's zero point at a higher % counters this.

Once the zero point is set, you can proceed to link the red and green LEDs to other control channels. (optional).

1: Unplug all ethernet cords from your light, and position yourself where you can see inside the ethernet ports on your light.

2: Press and hold the button on your Photon-Apex VDM Integration Kit for about 3 seconds. After release, you should see all 6 indicator LEDs flash a few times.

3:
A: Press the button again to begin the linking process. The first (Red) LED should flash.

B: Press the button again to link it to CH3 (Royal Blue LEDs), once more to link to CH4 (white LEDs) and so on. When finished, wait about 5 seconds, and all LEDs will flash again to indicate the channel is paired.

C: After no input for 3-5 seconds the second (Blue indicator LED, Green channel on Photon) indicator LED should blink. Repeat step 3B to link the Green LED channel.

D: You can link both CH1 and CH2 to the same channel, link just one of them to another channel, or leave them independent. If they are independent, they will remain off unless you use a 3rd ethernet cable, and 2 additional VDM channels to control them individually.

4: To reset the channel linking, simply press and hold the button on your Photon VDM Integration Kit, and repeat step 3A, then instead of choosing a channel to link to, simply let the controller time out. Once that is complete the linking will be undone.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back