Reef Building

divingbelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, let me start with being completely honest....I..Know...Nothing!
That said...I work at a resort in the Maldives, I would like to start a small personal project of trying to build ...a smidge at a time...new coral in the area. This is not for profit in any way. I just need suggestions on how to start and what might be good areas/depths, what kind of surface should I try anchoring the corals too, how do I handle the corals so as not to damage them, etc. Sorry the list is long. Even if no one has the patience to help me out, perhaps some websites with descriptions, or suggested books? Please keep in mind I will not be farming in an aquarium, but rather in the open sea.

With my gratitude,
divingbelle

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha come on you guys let's give him information he needs :)

Also do you have any good discounted rates at the resort for us?

hehe AC smart person ;)

Now, to build a reef of your own in the ocean, I by no means have done this before or have any information from experience, just actions I would personally implement.

Start with testing the ocean water in surrounding areas, even check temperature.
I would say Magnesium, Alkalinity, PH, calcium, and phosphates. This would determine if coral could even live. Look into Elos and Saliftert test kits, my recommendation.
After you test the water we should continue this little chat :)

PM me if you would like, this sounds like a-lot of fun!

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you're only planning to use corals endemic to your waters. Introducing foreign species would be a big no-no...

birdsnest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some neat propagation techniques by hanging corals from string. You could set a line anchored on both ends with large stones and have two bouys suspend a what would look like an underwater clothes line. Just hang the corals by a thread and they should grow in all directions. You can get the idea here Coral Culture in Suspension by Anthony Calfo - Reefkeeping.com

This would be the best way to propagate stony corals and grow some reef builders. As the corals grow just fragment pieces and put them in places back on the reef in need of a coral. Upkeep would be minimal provided you find a nice location.

Location wise a lagoon or someplace within the reef line would be an ideal spot. Maybe in like 20ft of water so you could have a good range of depth to hang corals.
Keeping the corals in the depth range they would be collected from might be the best idea but putting them higher in the water column may promote faster growth.

I could ramble all day about this reoccuring daydream. Just never able to make it back to Fiji. Anyway, do you need permission to do this even if your intentions may be to give back to the reef. And I do hope that is your plan to have a personal coral prop station that you populated the reef crest with to help in the formation of heaving perfectly groomed 6ft robot waves that came rolling in one after another.

p.s. Please post some pictures if you are able.

birdsnest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+++1 only use local animals that are locally collected and nothing non-native. You would be doing more harm than good if you went that route.

OP
OP
D

divingbelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have plenty of endemic corals...i wouldn't dare bring in foriegn stuff! trying to help not harm...oh...and i'm a gal :p As for work, nope, we are in low season...won't be bringing in new help...discount...what discount...i don't even get a discount...but i DO get to dive every day :) Thanks for the idea of hanging corals, i will look into that info further.
thx divingbelle

meisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search Ken Nedimyer on the web..hes had good luck starting new patch reefs with Acropora and other species. Also the reef ball foundation, not too familair with their work but appears to be along the lines of what you are thinking (other resorts have used these techniques to start small patch reefs as well).

First, make sure you check your local regulations about harvesting corals. Even though you aren't really "taking" them the regs probably still apply. Also check the rules about setting permanent things into the ocean....you don't want to put your artificial reef in the middle of a navigation channel or on a underwater cable line.

If you are talking about moving corals from one local spot to a nearby local spot it just a matter of creating a hard bottom substrate in shallow enough water and transplanting a few corals over to see what takes. Consider the environment where you are wanting to start your little reef and find animals living in an equivalent place for your founder stock. That will increase your chances of success IMO. Other animals (free swimming fishes first, then species with planktonic stages later) will find your reef and gradually colonize.
Underwater epoxy works great in our tanks, same applies to reef restoration (Ken's technique is outlined in the NY Time article I think).

Good luck and keep us happy with pics!!!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back