Reef cam for low light continuous recording?

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Has anyone used a live cam for low light continuous aquarium videography?

I want to use it remotely enjoy my tank as well as knownif something happened, who did it!

At one time i had 3 big wrasses - a green bird wrasse (8 inches) a red corris wrasse (8 inches) and a pink face (6 inches) .. all fat! And lived with other tanks, angels (dwarf). One day my red corris was floating dead with scales all ruffled and green bird wrasse with big bump on his beak but not cuts anywhere else. No one else had any other issues ...

I could nevwr find what happened... i have a Nestcam IQ ... but that was tunred off ... and it does not record with good details t9 see which fish is fighting whio ...

I want to buy a low light continuous recorder. Any suggestions and/ or experience to share?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a cheap Little Elf camera off Amazon that I can remotely check-in on my fish with. It isn't the highest quality, but it serves the purpose it was intended for. In terms of fish fighting, I just hung a mirror and a lot of them now spend a certain amount of time interacting with themselves.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I bought a cheap Little Elf camera off Amazon that I can remotely check-in on my fish with. It isn't the highest quality, but it serves the purpose it was intended for. In terms of fish fighting, I just hung a mirror and a lot of them now spend a certain amount of time interacting with themselves.
I have a nestcam and I can view the aquarium but the quality is not good. I am wondering if there are options that has good quality video feed!

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Anyone used a DSLR connected to a Laptop with any "Live streaming app" ... any such arrangements so the Video feed is accessible from anywhere (at least on wifi) and is High res video.

I found a setting in Nest cam that I just increased to 3x ... lets see if this solves.

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Nest cam…also. The time of day matters. Early morn and evening not so hot :). Like you have also noticed…

I also tried GO PRO camera it seems do a little better on the light /video.

Last edited:

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an idea , I just taped my orange filter over nest cam to see if it helps when lighting heads into bluer spectrum

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7:15 and still looks decent. (Lights go off at 9:00) It won’t show well at night when lights are off. But, decent during day… add an orange filter to your nest came and you may get more time out of the day for viewing.

Next month the aquarium will have 1st birthday!

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Generally I don't record, but I have Wyze cam set up about 4.5 ft from my 125. I can view my tank anywhere I have WiFi.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220308-212844_Wyze.jpg
    Screenshot_20220308-212844_Wyze.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 49

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Generally I don't record, but I have Wyze cam set up about 4.5 ft from my 125. I can view my tank anywhere I have WiFi.
Well, I guess the video under blue light wouldn't upload.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i like this idea... would help to be able to record/view my gecko tank as well since he's nocturnal!

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My nest cam with setting changed to higest the video is good.

I need to figure out the "filter".... if anyone has right one, it be good to know why product and how you are using it.

Btw, nest cam is for $99 on google store.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back