Reef Currents April 1, 2017 Houston, TX (ReefCurrents.org)

Steve Tyree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed their is a Cajun restaurant down the street from the hotel. Has anyone eaten there? Any good? I'm always up for a trying a new to me Cajun place.
Sounds cool. Will have to find that one. There is a fairly good and cheap breakfest place just down the road. Has an airport theme.

OP
OP
O

OceansX

Coral Websites
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind saying, how many people are you expecting to be in attendance....

You can never really say, but this year we have sold much more in pre-sales than when we had an attendance over 400 by a large margin, and could possibly sell out of Full Passes. I guess people are excited by the vendor, raffle and speakers this year :)

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
++me :)

Been years since I been to one and just recently slowly getting back into reefing. Looking forward to this.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your last show ?

About 10 years ago. It was held @ The Westin within the Houston Galleria. Last time I got an H&S Skimmer Type 200-3xF2001. Funny part when looking back, the skimmer is still brand new/unused till this day (currently sitting in the unused sump too :oops:).

Steve Tyree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QU
About 10 years ago. It was held @ The Westin within the Houston Galleria. Last time I got an H&S Skimmer Type 200-3xF2001. Funny part when looking back, the skimmer is still brand new/unused till this day (currently sitting in the unused sump too :oops:).
That was a long time ago. Might have been when Houston did a MACNA

Steve Tyree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I will try to trade a plate of fried catfish for a bounce!
Funny story about the bounces. Was at WWC after they got the first bounce in. Victor WWC showed it too me and I could not figure out why anyone would want one. But Victor knew. Boy was I wrong. Nowadays that would have to be some real good catfish. If you bring in some blackened swordfish steaks, we might be talking.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dallas sufferred the Macna curse. After doing a Macna, the club members can get exhausted. After their Macna in 2012, the next Next Wave was just too big. Especially for economic conditions. Also unfortunately the CFM was just too busy to really spend a lot of time on that event. Dallas will be back some day.

True, and from what I understand there was a lot of internal club issues and things got ugly. As long as Uchin can keep up the Texas Coral Fest swaps I'll be happy.

Steve Tyree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, and from what I understand there was a lot of internal club issues and things got ugly. As long as Uchin can keep up the Texas Coral Fest swaps I'll be happy.
Did not know about the internal club problems. But me and Dirk were talking about what happened at the end of the last Next Wave. That is where he coined the curse term. We knew exactly what was coming the next few years. So CFM pulled out. Into that vacumm the Fest came, but CFM is not a part of the Fest. We did try to save that Next Wave. Marc called me 2-3 months out, chewed my butt off and lite a fire under me. Lol. Worked hard on it then. Got it from 40% booths reserved to about 75%. That was not enough. Attendance also collapsed.

Steve Tyree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not know about the internal club problems. But me and Dirk were talking about what happened at the end of the last Next Wave. That is where he coined the curse term. We knew exactly what was coming the next few years. So CFM pulled out. Into that vacumm the Fest came, but CFM is not a part of the Fest. We did try to save that Next Wave. Marc called me 2-3 months out, chewed my butt off and lite a fire under me. Lol. Worked hard on it then. Got it from 40% booths reserved to about 75%. That was not enough. Attendance also collapsed.
Addendum. Went over the history of that Dallas event. And actually we did two Next Waves after that Macna in 2012. So we gave it about as good as a fight as we could. Actually thought Dallas had beaten the problem in 2013. Even complimented Drew about that. But things were contracting even that year though. At any rate, Reef Currents is alive and stronger than ever. Lets forget about that history and look forward to a great Texas reefing event !

clownfish chris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, all booth are sold out! We are looking forward to our best and largest event ever! We have nearly 100 raffle items.

Steve Tyree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tickets_675x350.jpg

JF-2 675x350.jpg

Joe_Y 675x350.jpg

Laura_B 675x350.jpg

See the ReefCurrents.org website for more details. Don't miss this one!
FYI - Was pointed out to me that Joe Yaiullo's 20,000 gallon tank has been setup for more than one year. Dont know how long, but can we get that image corrected ?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my vendor area ticket a couple of days ago along with 100 raffle tickets. Hoping I can make myself get up at 5am so I can be there by the 11am opening. Hopfully I can walk away with a raffle item, but I'm very unlucky when it comes to raffles. I was very disappointed at the 1 MACNA I attended because I bought something like 400 tickets and didn't when anything and people around me said they only bought like 25 to 50 and they were winning multiple items.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my streak of not winning at the raffles continues. It wouldn't be so bad if there weren't people winning 3 or 4 different times. Just drills home how unlucky I am at these things.

The show was great though, good job everyone. Lots of vendors and some really good prices. Talking to a couple of vendors that I knew and they said foot traffic was really good. I only had a couple of corals on my "list" but I came home with a dozen. Hopefully Dallas can get their big show up and going again in the next couple of years.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back