Reef Décor: Do you decorate the space around your aquarium?

Do you decorate the space around your aquarium?

• The room decor is fully focused on the reef.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • The area around the reef tank has a coastal/ocean theme.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • There are a few reef-related decorations.

Votes: 39 15.4%
  • The decorating is not related to the reef.

Votes: 102 40.2%
  • I don’t bother decorating.

Votes: 70 27.6%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reef Décor: Do you decorate the space around your aquarium?
Whether your reef tank blends into the room or is the centerpiece of the space, choosing how to decorate the area around the aquarium is something to consider. The aquascaping doesn’t always stop at the edges of the tank! Some people choose a coastal/ocean theme or add a few pieces of reef related artwork, while others choose décor that is unrelated to the reef. Let’s talk about how you decorate the space around your aquarium!

Pro Tip: Think about your fish and other reef inhabitants when creating the space around your reef tank. Flashing lights, music with strong bass, candles, and other elements that affect the environment in the room can have negative impacts on the livestock in your care. Also, when decorating it can be helpful to consider the people that share the space with you!

SwissFragReefer_RoomDecor.jpeg

Photo by @Swiss Frag Reefer

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My tank is in the living room which has matched decor and it also makes the tank a focal point opposed to art work or reef items that make it somewhat a distraction. i do have items on my canopy

condo1.jpg

Decor on top

1685970468634.png

Last edited:

Sharkie_Conch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our house is slowly gaining more and more reef/ocean themed art and decor just because it's what we like.

Our main tank sits near our entryway, which has framed photos from our dive adventures displayed as well as a nook where ocean themed glass art, pins, photos, and decor are displayed on shelves.

Our small tank has a coconut octopus and a plaster seahorse above it along with a framed clownfish card.

We used to have a big shark painting by a local artist above the tank, but when we added lights to the upgrade tank we had to move it, so now it's above the tv.

Our daughter's nursery is ocean themed as well. Diving and reefing are our main hobbies together, plus we got married in an aquarium, so I enjoy being surrounded by what we both love.

NkSde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m putting my hydroponic specimens in my fish room free fertilizer during fw changes lol. Also have the dogs playing poker poster hung up.

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The area around the tank isn't decorated - yet!

I've got a bunch of really old printed underwater pictures that my grandpa took. Sea lions, garibaldi, abalone, sheepies. All cool California coast stuff. They're in these cool, bulky, square wooden frames that have aged pretty well. Would love to get those up near the tank. Also have a neat wooden ray sculpture from Costa Rica. The statues of divers made out of scrap metal and hardware. My old handmade speargun from when I was like 10 years old.

All ocean themed. All full of great memories. Would love to make it all look nice around the tank.

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decorate my tank to match the room. So my bedroom tank has purple plumbing to match the bedroom, and my living room tank has teal plumbing.......

Except for the new red sea tank which came with all red and black stuff....so I'm not sure if I'm going to replumb the tank or redecorate the room.. ..

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is in the living room which has matched decor and it also makes the tank a focal point opposed to art work or reef items that make it somewhat a distraction. i do have items on my canopy

condo1.jpg

Decor on top

1685970468634.png
LOL, the decor gets lost on that massive tank. Need bigger fish up there! :)

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The display doesn’t have any reef related stuff outside the aquarium. We also don’t have a TV in the great room so it’s probably my favorite place to hangout with the kids. I down-sized during my move for a number of reasons. Looking forward to filling up that whole wall with an aquarium… eventually.

BF871914-D809-4C5F-A0FF-FE82CD1729AE.jpeg

Note: the filter socks I pulled out last night while doing the skimmer… I’m dying lol

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m taking over our entire formal living room. People are lame and never hang so I figured, why not turn it into a chill fish room! Thinking about a couple lounge chairs and a little bit of ocean/nature themed art work. Oh and 2 or 3 tanks.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My whole house is fish/river/ocean themed.

The display side of my tank is framed with driftwood. I'm planning to do the kitchen side as well with a fossilized tile coffee bar which houses my sump.

I think I'm up to a dozen mermaids/mermaid themed signs inside and outside of my house.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

condo1.jpg

Decor on top

1685970468634.png
That chair looks comfy as heck.

I only have a pic of my wife and family on a cruise off of Kihei on a catamaran above my tank. It's small and tangentially ocean related and I'm smiling like a doofus. I would like to add more reef/ocean stuff but there's a fine line between tasteful and garish seaside cottage kitsch. Not that I'm judging anyone; my interior styling sense is about the same as inert liverock

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back