Martin.P.Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a red planaria breakout and treated it with flatworm exit. Treatment was good as only did half recommended measure but severely under estimated the amount of worms in tank. Toxin from dead worms has wiped everything out, only bits of coral flesh sticking out from rocks. Have totally changed the water to get rid of toxin but kept rock in to keep good bacteria, not looking good though and new water has turned a little yellow....need emergency help to sort out water and rocks. No fish or inverts survived.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add prime to the water, run a TON of carbon right now, and continue with your water changes. Try and suck up as many of the red planaria as you can right now- they will continue to realase toxins as they decompose and continue to fuel ammonia release/bacteria that will consume oxygen.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ensure you don't cause more damage with your water changes- make sure temperature and salinity match.

Also, add an air stone if you can. Aim some powerheads at the surface and keep your skimmer going. Need to keep aeration up for the drop off in 02.

OP
OP
Martin.P.Smith

Martin.P.Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add prime to the water, run a TON of carbon right now, and continue with your water changes. Try and suck up as many of the red planaria as you can right now- they will continue to realase toxins as they decompose and continue to fuel ammonia release/bacteria that will consume oxygen.
Ok no worms left as cleared them out now, should I try to remove remnants of soft corals etc ?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, I would temporarily move the surviving soft corals into a tank of fresh saltwater (matching salinity/temperature) as you continue to run plenty of carbon and perform water changes on the tank. This assumes you have a spare heater and powerhead for the second tank. You will likely need to change out your carbon frequently and I would monitor your ammonia levels from your dead fish/inverts.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the specific action to take is called a rip clean. its take tank apart and clean it using a certain order of ops

reassemble with all new water

only goods remain

100% of bads gone, one pass.

a mere water change is 1/10th the benefit of total tank surgery. benefit: skips cycle you can instantly re begin.

right now you have rocks with accumulations. shake them mid tank, a massive cloud comes off.

your sand, = cloudy when disturbed.

you'd put back snowglobe clean sand. rocks that cast off literally nothing when swished in a five gallon bucket of old tankwater you drained out during the change. total cleaning, bottom to top, all new water. the filtration biofilm are not affected by the loss cascade

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything is dead, then firstly, I'm really sorry for your loss. However, now, there's no need to rush. No need for carbon, massive water changes, aeration etc. I would do what brandon429 has suggested and take the time to do a full rip clean. If there are any pests like aiptasia or vermetids, now is the time to go after them. ALL of them. Take out each rock and remove everything from it. Dead or dying coral flesh, pests, etc. Leave the coralline and do NOT bleach nuke the rock. You still want your bacteria colonies. Vacuum out all the sand and rinse in the garden.

Starting from new gives you a lot of options that are not available while there is lifestock in the tank.

CrayHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a thriving 60g cube due to using FWE. I started over and have been much more diligent about dipping and QT'ing everything - fish and coral. Good luck.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are folks that have used FWE on a running reef tank, but I think it most unwise. Better to employ a biological control. If the tank is all dead, then not much point in doing water changes. Start over I’m afraid.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back