• Other (explain in comment)

Votes: 22 16.4%

• Total voters

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will activated carbon remove these amino products from tank? Should gac be removed ?

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every morning with the fishes food dipped in it. AB+ is my personal product of the year.

Jeffbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if anyone has read the research Amino Acid uptake in corals. It suggests that uptake is a Diurnal event. I've been dosing in the evening, but I think I will be switching to a time after lights on. Also, it seems the uptake is a linear event that suggests we should be dosing over a longer time scale than I believe most of us do. Interesting topic!

Uptake of dissolved free amino acids by the scleractinian coral Stylophora pistillata Renaud Grover1,*, Jean-François Maguer2, Denis Allemand1 and Christine Ferrier-Pagès1 1Centre Scientifique de Monaco, Avenue Saint Martin, MC-98000, Monaco and 2Laboratoire de Chimie Marine, Institut Universitaire Européen de la Mer, Place Nicolas Copernic, F-29280 Plouzane, France

"In summary, our results show that DFAA can represent an important source of nitrogen for corals at in situ concentrations (200–500·nmol·l–1), with uptake rates as high as those measured for DIN at the same concentrations. DFAA uptake by Stylophora pistillata shows no discrimination, allowing the uptake of any available amino acid through the animal membranes, depending on the DFAA concentration in the surrounding water. A ‘light-enhanced amino acid assimilation’ process (Al-Moghrabi et al., 1993) has been confirmed, suggesting DFAA uptake is a diurnal event."

Attachments

• jeb012807p860.pdf
    371.9 KB · Views: 32

Reefernewbean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, is it useful to dose it while not using a skimmer?
Best practice to turn off all return pumps, and only dose the main tank with spot feeding&or broadcasting. Leave the tank for 30min-1hour and come back to turn on your return pump to get things going again. Skimmer will remove most anything added to the tank. It will remove ab+ to an extent.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back