Reef Factory Smart Roller

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

Are any of you one of the lucky ones who've been given a Smart Roller prior to release to try them out? I have a number of questions that I am dying to ask :p

I am about to pull the trigger on a new roller mat- I am heavily invested in the Reef Factory ecosystem already, so it should be a no-brainer to wait, however, patience is not my strong point!

Cheers!

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading a thread from back in May or June last night about roller mats possibly bottoming out nutrients, and you commented that it was the reason that you were still on the fence about them. You came back later to say that you had picked up a reef mat and your water had never been clearer. After 6+ months of use, what are your thoughts? I am trying to decide if a reefmat is right for the future of my tank but am worried about the reefmat stripping too many nutrients from the refugium.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading a thread from back in May or June last night about roller mats possibly bottoming out nutrients, and you commented that it was the reason that you were still on the fence about them. You came back later to say that you had picked up a reef mat and your water had never been clearer. After 6+ months of use, what are your thoughts? I am trying to decide if a reefmat is right for the future of my tank but am worried about the reefmat stripping too many nutrients from the refugium.
For me, the ReefMat had zero effect on my nutrients (either the 500 or 1200 I later upgraded to). I have a very high bio-load (47 fish, 250+ inverts) so I wasn't necessarily expecting it to drop as others have reported.

The fleece is also 200-microns whereas the filter socks I'd been using prior were 100-micons, so that probably explains some of the discrepancy.

Water is still clear - and I'm getting between 25-28 days per fleece roll. I also added an ozone system over the summer which has helped as well.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Red Sea ReefMat.
Well, that's great - not really the point of the thread though ;) But thank you for your input!

As covered in the initial post, I am heavily invested in Reef Factory's ecosystem already and aim to continue this way..

I am currently using a Clarisea SK3000 but it is on its last legs- and I have no room for the Red Sea one.. Too bulky in its design for the Cade sump

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many days were you getting on the 500 fleece roll?

The larger micron size is the first thing that caught my attention on this particular roller mat.

I'm leaning towards putting my refugium on a separate plumbing loop from from my sump which I hope will keep that system thriving.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many days were you getting on the 500 fleece roll?

The larger micron size is the first thing that caught my attention on this particular roller mat.

I'm leaning towards putting my refugium on a separate plumbing loop from from my sump which I hope will keep that system thriving.
5-6, max. But again, lots and lots of (growing) fish.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, so you are getting almost 5x more time between changes with the 1200.
It's literally twice the area as the 500 rolls, but yes - I think the larger design/footprint has a bearing on it as well.

ItsNotAboutOil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Reef factory user here: I'm a big fan of their products not lucky to have been selected for the smart roller but I don't have any patience and decided to go with red sea mat 1200. if you do decide to get the smart roller, please let us know how it works. like what's been said above the footprint of the red sea 1200 is bigger than that of the smart roller. i have the 1200 in my cade sump at the moment

Attachments

• sump3.jpeg
    sump3.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 144
OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Reef factory user here: I'm a big fan of their products not lucky to have been selected for the smart roller but I don't have any patience and decided to go with red sea mat 1200. if you do decide to get the smart roller, please let us know how it works. like what's been said above the footprint of the red sea 1200 is bigger than that of the smart roller. i have the 1200 in my cade sump at the moment
I am using the Clarisea 3000 in the filter sock section, it fits perfectly! Reading on the specs of the Reef Factory one, it should fit in there as well- although quite a bit wider..

I reckon it would force me to be creative with the plumbing but i am planning custom plumbing on the Cade anyway ;)

Oh- and nice to find another scottish based reefer on here!!

NoviceReefKeeperAustralia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

Are any of you one of the lucky ones who've been given a Smart Roller prior to release to try them out? I have a number of questions that I am dying to ask :p

I am about to pull the trigger on a new roller mat- I am heavily invested in the Reef Factory ecosystem already, so it should be a no-brainer to wait, however, patience is not my strong point!

Cheers!
Hey man I got the reef factory roller and it really is the best one on the market.

The footprint is small, the app is amazing and im getting min 5 months out of a roll.

Check it out here:

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man I got the reef factory roller and it really is the best one on the market.

The footprint is small, the app is amazing and im getting min 5 months out of a roll.

Check it out here:

Thanks Pal, looks smashing! Just a shame I can not fit it in my Cade sump without taking over the space for my refugium :(

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the ReefMat had zero effect on my nutrients (either the 500 or 1200 I later upgraded to). I have a very high bio-load (47 fish, 250+ inverts) so I wasn't necessarily expecting it to drop as others have reported.

The fleece is also 200-microns whereas the filter socks I'd been using prior were 100-micons, so that probably explains some of the discrepancy.

Water is still clear - and I'm getting between 25-28 days per fleece roll. I also added an ozone system over the summer which has helped as well.
How big is your tank and how much you use per day?

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between the reef mat and the reef factory which one clean the best and which one hold longer?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back