Reef Flux & Macro Algae & is no algae achievable

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not your heavy bioload that helped, it was the 3 tangs.

First, I haven't always had 3 tangs in this tank. The 3rd went in about 7 weeks ago. Hippo tangs are NOT algae scrubbers the way other Tangs are. The Yellow, nibbles all day but can hardly be the single source of missing algae.

I'm sorry, but your thought does not hold water.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Further, since the Yellow Tang was one of the very first fish to go into this tank, long before the algae outbreak, again, I feel you are mistaken.

@Susan Edwards One of the things I have learned in all of my years of aquarium keeping, is that the numbers we are all so focused on, are really not as important as we have been led to believe.

What keeps an aquarium looking the way we want, is biodiversity. I don't mean 20 different species of fish, or 200 different corals... What I mean is the microscopic biology that is what actually maintains our mini-ecosystems.

We all know full well that we need a thriving bacterial colony in order to process ammonia and nitrites. This is just the smallest and first step to creating the eco-system we are all after.

I personally feel that FAR too much emphasis is placed on targeting numbers, rather than achieving the microbial colonies that are absolutely necessary to achieve a thriving system.

We need to clear our minds of all of this accepted nonsense and begin to wrap our minds around the fact that it is what we CAN'T see that is what drives our systems.

A system that is as diverse as possible in the microbial realm, will essentially take care of itself. Algae is a microbial network that generates a colony that eventually will be seen with the naked eye. What if we have the natural predator for this life form to attack it at the single or small multi-cellular level? In effect, we would eliminate the issue before we ever even know we have it!!

How is THAT for a thought to wrap your mind over?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh by the way, in answer to your original question.... Remove your macro-algae and put it into a garbage can or something with a heater and a powerhead. Then you can treat your algae issue with FluxRx or whatever. Once the treatment is finished and you have cleared out the chemicals, you can replace the macro-algae to the system with no issues.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I haven't always had 3 tangs in this tank. The 3rd went in about 7 weeks ago. Hippo tangs are NOT algae scrubbers the way other Tangs are. The Yellow, nibbles all day but can hardly be the single source of missing algae.

I'm sorry, but your thought does not hold water.
Really...I don't take advice from people who think 16 fish including 3 tangs in a 50 gallon is a good plan and then tell people wild theories with zero science to back them up. Those aren't good life decisions of a knowledgeable and experienced reefer.

Tangs eat algae and quite a bit of it. The last tank I had that had 3 tangs, they would mow down half a sheet of nori in about 15 minutes. That is the hair algae equivalent of a baseball sized chunk of hair algae. They are pretty darn good at turning an algae outbreak into stupid high nitrates.

Last edited:

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone think room lighting at 5 feet (led bulb from a ceiling fan) contributes? My par meter measured like 1600 near tank. Thinking of moving both "on" lights to my desk side and none directed toward tank in case. Or am I reaching here
Room light will have almost no effect. Sunlight can if the tank is near a window, but room lighting is only gonna add maybe 5 PAR if it's pretty darn bright.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Further, since the Yellow Tang was one of the very first fish to go into this tank, long before the algae outbreak, again, I feel you are mistaken.

@Susan Edwards One of the things I have learned in all of my years of aquarium keeping, is that the numbers we are all so focused on, are really not as important as we have been led to believe.

What keeps an aquarium looking the way we want, is biodiversity. I don't mean 20 different species of fish, or 200 different corals... What I mean is the microscopic biology that is what actually maintains our mini-ecosystems.

We all know full well that we need a thriving bacterial colony in order to process ammonia and nitrites. This is just the smallest and first step to creating the eco-system we are all after.

I personally feel that FAR too much emphasis is placed on targeting numbers, rather than achieving the microbial colonies that are absolutely necessary to achieve a thriving system.

We need to clear our minds of all of this accepted nonsense and begin to wrap our minds around the fact that it is what we CAN'T see that is what drives our systems.

A system that is as diverse as possible in the microbial realm, will essentially take care of itself. Algae is a microbial network that generates a colony that eventually will be seen with the naked eye. What if we have the natural predator for this life form to attack it at the single or small multi-cellular level? In effect, we would eliminate the issue before we ever even know we have it!!

How is THAT for a thought to wrap your mind over?
I agree on the microscopic biology and biodiversity and that we need it. It's finding ways to get it and keep a balance! I know I seem like a worry-wart but after the disaster/failure of tank 2 (actually got it looking good a month or so before the upgrade lol's), I am determined to not make the same mistakes on this larger system! And that does translate into being more ocd.... aka worry-wart!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Room light will have almost no effect. Sunlight can if the tank is near a window, but room lighting is only gonna add maybe 5 PAR if it's pretty darn bright.
I was just surprised that the par was so high when I took the meter out of the tank!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no3 levels is not a direct cause of algae - the actual biological mechanism is actually a lot more complicated and has to do with the delicate balance in the microfauna/health of reef/grazers/autrotroph and heterotroph bacteria. they are often correlated with higher excess nutrients because an unhealthy system often results in it. Think of it this way - in ocean no3/po4 levels are barely detectable, and yet we have algae growing, and most of the time when algae "grow out of control" are in bad water conditions that's causing reef dieoff and deminishing biodiversity that upset that balance.

this is why some tanks have 1ppm no3 and still ahve algae issues, and other tanks have 20ppm no3 and no algae issues.
I am bookmarking this post to share on future threads!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh by the way, in answer to your original question.... Remove your macro-algae and put it into a garbage can or something with a heater and a powerhead. Then you can treat your algae issue with FluxRx or whatever. Once the treatment is finished and you have cleared out the chemicals, you can replace the macro-algae to the system with no issues.
That's an idea too. It is so hot where I live, I wouldn't need a heater. I turn all heaters off in the summer.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an idea too. It is so hot where I live, I wouldn't need a heater. I turn all heaters off in the summer.
The problem with moving your macro and then putting it back after the flux treatment is there's a chance some bryopsis is mixed in and you will be adding it back to your system...

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really...I don't take advice from people who think 16 fish including 3 tangs in a 50 gallon is a good plan and then tell people wild theories with zero science to back them up. Those aren't good life decisions of a knowledgeable and experienced reefer.

Tangs eat algae and quite a bit of it. The last tank I had that had 3 tangs, they would mow down half a sheet of nori in about 15 minutes. That is the hair algae equivalent of a baseball sized chunk of hair algae. They are pretty darn good at turning an algae outbreak into stupid high nitrates.

You are free to decide whatever you wish. I honestly could care less if you believe me or not!

I have over 35 years of aquarium keeping that I base my decisions on. I never stated that 16 fish in a 55g was a good plan. I have always, since day 1 of adding the yellow Tang to my 55g intended to move it to the 180G once it was large enough to defend itself against the larger fish in that tank. same with the Hippo and Blue Stripe. They are in this tank for the simple reason that they were small enough to coexist with the other fish in this system.

As it happens. The new upgrade will house all 3 nicely for at least another couple years so they will stay in the new 135.

My tangs ignore nori. Every time I have placed it into the tank, it simply melts away and adds to the detritus of the tank. Perhaps they scavenge some, but overall, I end up netting out the uneaten nori and tossing it in the trash.

In all honesty, I actually believe that I have a high level of biodiversity in my system that directly relates to why I have no algae issues in my tank. As I stated above, it is the microbial diversity that matters most, not the fish or CUC or anything else. If a problem can be solved on a cellular level then it is never a problem that we can see.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with moving your macro and then putting it back after the flux treatment is there's a chance some bryopsis is mixed in and you will be adding it back to your system...

This is true... And here is where we come right back to the microfauna diversity point. Once the main outbreak is gone, whatever may be left in the macro-algae "should" be minimal enough for the system to handle on its own.

As Susan said.. where do we get these microbial animals? In honesty, I don't know. I am unaware of a commercial product that is available to introduce these organisms. I am not so vain as to say that my tank is all my own doing. It is entirely likely that I simply blundered into success.

That said, I am going to run with what works for me. I am going to defy what is accepted doctrine and reuse my dirty nasty sand as-is in my new tank. MY tank... not yours. I don't need anyone telling me how they think I am completely wrong here. Save your negativity for disciplining your children, not me. I am going to go with my gut and I don't care one bit what anyone else thinks. If I fail I fail.. if I succeed then I can give a firsthand viewpoint to my belief that the boundaries we have been conditioned to accept are simply mythical.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said, I am going to run with what works for me. I am going to defy what is accepted doctrine and reuse my dirty nasty sand as-is in my new tank. MY tank... not yours. I don't need anyone telling me how they think I am completely wrong here. Save your negativity for disciplining your children, not me. I am going to go with my gut and I don't care one bit what anyone else thinks. If I fail I fail.. if I succeed then I can give a firsthand viewpoint to my belief that the boundaries we have been conditioned to accept are simply mythical.
Ok, for the record, here's the comment you were replying to... In what universe is this "negative"???

"Erin1971Texas said:
The problem with moving your macro and then putting it back after the flux treatment is there's a chance some bryopsis is mixed in and you will be adding it back to your system..."

(And my quoted comment above was a reply to Susan, not you!)

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies @Erin1971Texas ,
My post went from a reply to your comment to a bit of a rant on my end. I am sorry if you felt it was an attack aimed at you. This was not my intention.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back