Reef Flux preventative dosage?

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 14 mo old (upgrade not totally new). I've treated it 2x's with reef flux and am about to do a 3rd run. The algae is bryopsis for the most part. Maybe all of it. I have rocks where it comes back. Certain ones first. Other rocks with no algae and have never had algae, others only if I let it go before treating. So it is a recurring issue on parts of my tank but not all. Each treatment seems to leave me with clear rocks. 1st time I still had some but I waited 5 weeks the 2nd time.

Last time I left the treatment for 5 weeks and just used carbon and purigen to remove. No water change. Typically no3 stays under 20 and po4 either bottoms out or under .2 Mostly .06-.1 When I have this algae issue, usually my numbers have bottomed out.

Right now, no3 is .3 and po4 0 yet I know the tank must have and that the algae is consuming.

Tanks is 240g (220 approx minus rock/sand) . I have 3 bottles. Each treats 100g. Should I be using more than 1 capsule per 10 gal? Or do another full dose after 3 weeks?

I read somewhere here where someone was dosing RF as a preventative. I'm thinking I may need to do this. At least for a while. This is frustrating as I'm right on top of things in my tank

Picture is from July and Aug.
20220825_151003.jpg
20220725_113157.jpg

20221006_165159.jpg

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From various posts I have been reading, if it were me I would start feeding more and remove it by hand until your nutrients go up. And then make an assessment.

You have a beautiful tank by the way!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used reef flux and flux rx in the past and I have had different results. I don't use fluconazole anymore because of it. I would not use it a a prophylactic treatment. I think that would be a misguided venture. Potentially settling you back further than you may possibly gain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From various posts I have been reading, if it were me I would start feeding more and remove it by hand until your nutrients go up. And then make an assessment.

You have a beautiful tank by the way!
Thanks. I can't remove by hand. It doesn't pull or scrub off. And those spheres of rock are too fragile. Too much presure and they break. Not to mention to many coral too close. I'm a short person so even reaching in while on a stool is difficult as I can't work and see thru the front glass lol's. I'm knocked way too many corals down trying to manuever in there. One drawback to my rockscape. I'm dosing neo phos again and feeding 2-4 times a day. 2x's frozen and pellets 1 or 2 times a day

I'll be cutting my chaeto in half tomorrow. Don't want to take it out as it is too hard to find. M ine is very healthy!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used reef flux and flux rx in the past and I have had different results. I don't use fluconazole anymore because of it. I would not use it a a prophylactic treatment. I think that would be a misguided venture. Potentially settling you back further that you may possibly gain.
I've had good results everytime I use but am having trouble keeping it gone.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I can't remove by hand. It doesn't pull or scrub off. And those spheres of rock are too fragile. Too much presure and they break. Not to mention to many coral too close. I'm a short person so even reaching in while on a stool is difficult as I can't work and see thru the front glass lol's. I'm knocked way too many corals down trying to manuever in there. One drawback to my rockscape. I'm dosing neo phos again and feeding 2-4 times a day. 2x's frozen and pellets 1 or 2 times a day

I'll be cutting my chaeto in half tomorrow. Don't want to take it out as it is too hard to find. M ine is very healthy!

That's why correcting nutrients is so important. Because each time you kill it it's just going to come back

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used reef flux and flux rx in the past and I have had different results. I don't use fluconazole anymore because of it. I would not use it a a prophylactic treatment. I think that would be a misguided venture. Potentially settling you back further that you may possibly gain.
This is why if it were me, I would work on nutrients and physical removal first.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is likely a fair chance over time this will fix itself by improving nutrient levels. I know you want it gone now, and so would I. If I had a tank as beautiful as yours, I would be very hard-pressed to add a bottled solution. I would be scared to death that I would damage my progress.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Physical removal is not always an option so sometimes the hammer needs to be brought in. I would just make sure that all other cuc was considered prior to dropping that hammer. Also, slow and steady wins the race. Anyone who doubts this never stuck it out to experience the win.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why correcting nutrients is so important. Because each time you kill it it's just going to come back
My nutrients are normally within a good range no3 in the 10-20 range or even lower and po4 .06-.1 Often I have trouble keeping them in a good range. Right now they are both either zero or almost zero. I can't go any lower. Once the algae is gone, then I'll have to watch it.

Since Sept, after the last treatment, no3 was 21-23 for a few days ( week or so) and then under 15 and then even lower. Po4 hit .2 twice in that time, which could be test errors as all following tests were under .1

I dose nopox, and when there are nitrates I also dose zero and bio booster. Not doing right now, though there has to be nitrates in the tank for the algae. Have chaeto as well. Nutrients are usually very controlled.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nutrients are normally within a good range no3 in the 10-20 range or even lower and po4 .06-.1 Often I have trouble keeping them in a good range. Right now they are both either zero or almost zero. I can't go any lower. Once the algae is gone, then I'll have to watch it.

Since Sept, after the last treatment, no3 was 21-23 for a few days ( week or so) and then under 15 and then even lower. Po4 hit .2 twice in that time, which could be test errors as all following tests were under .1

I dose nopox, and when there are nitrates I also dose zero and bio booster. Not doing right now, though there has to be nitrates in the tank for the algae. Have chaeto as well. Nutrients are usually very controlled.
I guess it makes sense the nitrate would Spike after the algae die off. I was interested lately to see some people talk about dosing nitrate and phosphate in some cases, in order to control algae blooms. Or beat the ugly stage. The consensus I have been getting lately is that it is not good to have zero nutrients.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Physical removal is not always an option so sometimes the hammer needs to be brought in. I would just make sure that all other cuc was considered prior to dropping that hammer. Also, slow and steady wins the race. Anyone who doubts this never stuck it out to experience the win.
My thought. Last 2 times I waited and tried other methods and it got worse. I have a decent cuc, but of course can always use more. Trouble with broyopsis, is nothing touches it. No cuc, no algae eating fish. I have an algae eater, foxface, 2 tangs and coral beauty. None will touch it. Even the urchin does not.

Slow and steady yes, but also on top of things. Easier to correct if done early as I'm seeing the algae spreading pretty fast. My last tank was a disaster. Took a year after neglect to get it good. Then I upgraded lol's

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it makes sense the nitrate would Spike after the algae die off. I was interested lately to see some people talk about dosing nitrate and phosphate in some cases, in order to control algae blooms. Or beat the ugly stage. The consensus I have been getting lately is that it is not good to have zero nutrients.
Agree. Zero not good. And with algae like this, hard to say what my true numbers are. I'm feeding heavy again and adding neo phos just in case

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back