Reef Hungriee!

Hungriee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the fish hobby in January 2008 beginning with a half moon betta, freshwater nano fish then slowly progressed into planted aquariums and got obsessed with plant aqua scaping and eventually was hooked onto discus and discus breeding. After having success with all these I decided to find a new challenge. In 2009, the chaos began.

I picked up my first saltwater tank which I still currently have as of today but am slowly progressing in tearing it down as I will be moving to my new house by the spring of this year, 2010 and will be planning an upgrade.

One of the first regrets I had in the reef hobby is picking such a horrible sized tank and not going with the largest tank possible. I picked a 37G tank (30"L x 12" W x 22"H) - yes! what was I thinking lol. Even though I admit I had some rough obstacles in the hobby, from picking the wrong equipments to having chemistry issues to buying the wrong livestock but I still enjoy every moment of this reef hobby especially joining this reef community and my local forums where I've built a new network of friends.:tongue:

So to start off, my tank is a mixed reef and currently run the following equipment:

Tank: 37G (set up as room divider "peninsula-style" - viewable 3 sides)
Light: Sundial 4x24W T5HO + 4 Current PowerBrite LEDs 460nm
PH: 2x Koralia 4 + 1x Koralia 3
Return: Eheim 1260
Skimmer: MSX 160
Sump: 20G Long with 3 chambers
(Skimmer>Fuge (Chaeto, mangroves,DSB and live rock)>Return)

As this tank is in the breakdown phase as I prepare to move, most of my corals are either gone to other hobbyist or are all resting on frag racks as they will be making the move this Spring 2010.

Prior Fish:
Sailfin Tang, Yellow Tang, Hippo Tang (the Tang Police moved them to better families)

Existing Fish:
PJ Cardinal
Ocellaris Clowns
Purple Firefish
BlueSpot Jawfish

Attachments

• FULLTANKSHOT.jpg
    FULLTANKSHOT.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 126

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey i made the move form fresh water, I have probably spent more in the last year on my shallow reef tank set up, than what I have spent in fresh water stuff in 15+yrs. but I love it, and it is quite a learning curve, I think that is part of the appeal is the challenge. I know bigger is better, but I think there is a reasonable limit, once you get so big, the power company will own you . I like your set up in the picture, it has a good balance of color.

OP
OP
H

Hungriee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey i made the move form fresh water, I have probably spent more in the last year on my shallow reef tank set up, than what I have spent in fresh water stuff in 15+yrs. but I love it, and it is quite a learning curve, I think that is part of the appeal is the challenge. I know bigger is better, but I think there is a reasonable limit, once you get so big, the power company will own you . I like your set up in the picture, it has a good balance of color.

Thanks for the compliment. I agree the bigger it is the more power and larger equipment is needed and it does catch up with the bills.

Ill post more pictures once I figure how to post pics w/o thumbnails

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey bud... good luck with your tank upgrade... looked like the 37g was a colorful reef... I'm sure the new tank will be better... :)

OP
OP
H

Hungriee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture of one of my discus females

This is a red pigeon strain discus. She's now about 6" big, when she was bought at 1.5" and have dropped discus eggs very often.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
H

Hungriee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey bud... good luck with your tank upgrade... looked like the 37g was a colorful reef... I'm sure the new tank will be better... :)

Hey Marvin,
Thanks for the kind words. I am quite excited about the tank upgrade but the upgrade won't be too large for now as funding is limited after the house purchase.

Your tank & corals are my inspiration man!

OP
OP
H

Hungriee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank shot

another front view

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 106

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back