Reef Injuries - whatcha got??

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i was just installing a new pump on my mixing station and needed to cut a pipe down. I Pull out the dremel and I’m cutting away when it slips and runs straight between my fingers. Four stitches and a lot of profanity later and it’s finally all hooked up.

So…what have y’all done to yourselves while “enjoying” this hobby???

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry about your accident. Hopefully you are feeling better.

How did the mixing station come out?

hey thanks. Wasn’t too bad. I was more upset at myself for making the mistake.

Station came out ok. Classic case of trying to improve something that was working just fine, and it spiraled out.

I had a working pump and just wanted a bigger one for speedier water changes. The new pump is a beast but I had to redo all the plumbing and then of course the outtake tube is positioned oddly so I had to really hack up the pvc. You all know how it goes. It was definitely prettier before when everything was designed around the pump. I ended up replacing a lot of pvc with tubing to account for the difference in positioning, so not as clean looking.

But it’s up and running now!

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Huge rashes due to bristle worms. Thought I got some in my eye at one point but luckily I didn’t. Also allergic to the cold so I get itchy anyways in the tank:mad:

Ive always been more concerned with biological injuries. I wear gloves in the tank, but with poly toxins and rogue worms etc - it always seems a little dangerous to be in there too long.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin in eye while fragging some utter chaos. Never thought I would get squirted in the eye. Landed me at the doctor and blurred vision in right eye for about a week. Not to mention the pain in my eye. Felt like welders flash for about a week. Had to wear an eye patch for a few days because my eye was so sensitive to
light.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was stung in the wrist by a dwarf Lionfish years ago in a customers tank. It was a tank I stocked and serviced for some time. The guy was never home so he'd just leave a key for me. Apparently he had just added the fish over the weekend and didn't bother to tell me. It was under a rock I picked up. I wanted to cut my hand off. Fortunately, I didn't suffer an anaphylactic reaction or I probably wouldn't be here.

Last edited:

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much of an injury but Ive been scratched and pricked by a couple different things inside the display. Vermitid snails come to mind, those skinny tube worms can be edgy and hard too.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Ive always been more concerned with biological injuries. I wear gloves in the tank, but with poly toxins and rogue worms etc - it always seems a little dangerous to be in there too long.

If that scares you check out image search on fish tb in humans LOL

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. People really need to take the potential dangers within tanks more seriously (says the guy stung by a lionfish). I was more careless myself years ago. It always kills me when I hear people tell new reefers "just wash your hands and you'll be fine".

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Repeatedly poked a Fireworm. What was I thinking?!
9192BA74-0ABE-42A9-9E63-FF71984B645E.jpeg

I eventually removed the worm, which was torn into 6 pieces in the process (don’t worry, all of them were retrieved).

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I eventually removed the worm, which was torn into 6 pieces in the process (don’t worry, all of them were retrieved).
Are you saying that you repeatedly poked it with your finger?

LaxFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I grabbed the bristle worm thinking it was something else… needless to say wasn’t a very good idea

ARTRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little cut on my thumb while rinsing algae scraper stick blade. Thank god no stitch required.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know, knock on wood, but I’ve been keeping reef tanks for over 20 years, and I’ve never had any issues from putting my hands in the tank, at least not from toxins or bristle worms (and I’ve touched a fair few of them). I have been severely stung by this weird little anemone I had years ago (very knowledgeable lfs owner didn’t know what it was, nor did I, it was about an inch and half wide and it looked sort of like the under side of a lion’s mane jellyfish or a fluffier version of a sea apple’s tentacles, only it was pastel blue, pink, and yellow), it blistered up pretty bad and looked almost like a chemical burn. I also had a dime size chunk of flesh taken out of the back of my hand by an undulated trigger, like a half sphere with the diameter of a dime, still have a gnarly scar from it. Pretty sure it swallowed the piece of meat.

Back