Reef Injuries - whatcha got??

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently cut through the top of my thumb (through the nail) with a rusty razor so then had to go get a tdap vaccine as it had probably been over 10 years since my last.

Also years ago when I was a noob... a glass heater broke inside a mixing 5g bucket of salt. I had a stainless steel bowl sitting on it as a cover... a laptop on that. Thought the tingling was weird. It was mixing in the bathroom. I decided to take a bath... touched the bowl from inside the bath... a jolt traveled up my arm and flipped the CGFI in the bathroom. True story. I am less reckless now!

Last edited:

REM2021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learned the lesson about water and electricity. Twice.

Fun side story, I've run in dozen mud run/obstacle races including a certain one where they shock you. Neither of my tank shocks were anywhere near as bad as the big finale shock obstacle. Luckily, reefing means I don't have the budget to do those races anymore, so now I get all of my electrocutions accidentally.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know, knock on wood, but I’ve been keeping reef tanks for over 20 years, and I’ve never had any issues from putting my hands in the tank, at least not from toxins or bristle worms (and I’ve touched a fair few of them). I have been severely stung by this weird little anemone I had years ago (very knowledgeable lfs owner didn’t know what it was, nor did I, it was about an inch and half wide and it looked sort of like the under side of a lion’s mane jellyfish or a fluffier version of a sea apple’s tentacles, only it was pastel blue, pink, and yellow), it blistered up pretty bad and looked almost like a chemical burn. I also had a dime size chunk of flesh taken out of the back of my hand by an undulated trigger, like a half sphere with the diameter of a dime, still have a gnarly scar from it. Pretty sure it swallowed the piece of meat.

Maybe

Actinodendron plumosum?

Known as Hell's Fire Sea nem

1630903910251.png

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a large Sea Apple get caught in a powerhead. Killed most of my fish. Got a dose of toxin in the process of cleaning out the dead. Made me sick to my stomach for 3 days.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago I poisoned myself and my wife (girlfriend at the time) by aerosolizing palytoxin trying to scrub dying "Texas Trash" palythoa off a rock with running hot water and a wire brush. Wife (who was in the other room) was nauseous for a day, I was hospitalized with high fever and extremely rapid heart rate and high blood pressure for 24 hours. Received IV Fluids in hospital, and once temp, heart rate, and blood pressure decreased, was sent home. Felt nauseous and super weak for about 48 hours.

Never would have done something like it normally. I was way too tired to be working on tank stuff, but had come home from working 3rd shift and was excited to try and prep some rock for my new tank.

Also been electrocuted by faulty pumps/broken heaters multiple times, had to go to the hospital once it was so bad. Used to get stung all the time by my old longspjne urchin while cleaning the tank, and have been stung by lionfish, rabbitfish, and a freshwater stingray (Potamotrygon sp.) as well. The freshwater ray was definitely the worst of all the stings I've gotten. Throbbed for about 3 days. Had a niger trigger that would take small chunks out of the back of your arm if you didn't pay attention while cleaning the tank.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago I poisoned myself and my wife (girlfriend at the time) by aerosolizing palytoxin trying to scrub dying "Texas Trash" palythoa off a rock with running hot water and a wire brush. Wife (who was in the other room) was nauseous for a day, I was hospitalized with high fever and extremely rapid heart rate and high blood pressure for 24 hours. Received IV Fluids in hospital, and once temp, heart rate, and blood pressure decreased, was sent home. Felt nauseous and super weak for about 48 hours.

Never would have done something like it normally. I was way too tired to be working on tank stuff, but had come home from working 3rd shift and was excited to try and prep some rock for my new tank.

Also been electrocuted by faulty pumps/broken heaters multiple times, had to go to the hospital once it was so bad. Used to get stung all the time by my old longspjne urchin while cleaning the tank, and have been stung by lionfish, rabbitfish, and a freshwater stingray (Potamotrygon sp.) as well. The freshwater ray was definitely the worst of all the stings I've gotten. Throbbed for about 3 days. Had a niger trigger that would take small chunks out of the back of your arm if you didn't pay attention while cleaning the tank.
And yet with a number of stories similar to yours, so many in the hobby still take palytoxin with a grain of salt as if it's overrated.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yet with a number of stories similar to yours, so many in the hobby still take palytoxin with a grain of salt as if it's overrated.
Yup. I won't keep the bigger palys anymore (only zoas) and only handle them with goggles. If I want to frag them, I let them grow onto a frag plug or piece of rubble, then pull it apart under water. Not worth the risk. I liked the palys because even the butterflies wouldn't eat them, but there was an obvious reason why.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I won't keep the bigger palys anymore (only zoas) and only handle them with goggles. If I want to frag them, I let them grow onto a frag plug or piece of rubble, then pull it apart under water. Not worth the risk. I liked the palys because even the butterflies wouldn't eat them, but there was an obvious reason why.
Yeah, it's not like the limited amout of PPE needed to work around these animals safely is a big deal. I worked in a spray booth for several years wearing full body PPE all day every day but I got used to it. Loads of others work under similar conditions. How hard is it for people to put on gloves and goggles for a few minutes when working with potentially dangerous animals often difficult to positively I.D. I swear some people are just stubborn. They need to prove to themselves or others that they know better. It's unfortunate.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run a small public aquarium. I got bitten by a sea turtle who mistook my hand for one of the live blue crabs I fed him. Their mouth always reminded me of a birds beak, but 100x larger.

Last edited:

Colton.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't got any (because I haven't any salty tank yet) but cleaning a freshwater tank Razorblades underwater...
Slip ouch! turned water red.

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used to run a small public aquarium. I got bitten by a sea turtle who mistook my hand for one of the live blue crabs I fed him. Their mouth always reminded me of a birds beak, but 100x larger.

Did that finger grow back??? :)

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly cut my fingertip off when I tried pressing in a razor for a mag float. I was getting frustrated trying to get it set in right and had a lapse in judgement

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 electric zappy fun
+1 bristle/fire worm
+1 trigger fish bite (queen trigger..?)
+1 razor blade cuts
+1 clam shell cut
+1 dropped flats of frozen food on my bare foot
+1 heartbreak (fish death/acro necrosis etc..)
+1 threw out my back hanging lights
+1 vermited snail puncture
+1 wet floor slip and fall

I got 10 points!

So far........
most of those as a youth employed at lfs

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back