Reef Kinetics Lab Discussion

DatsoonDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I got mine about a month ago and I can see myself getting to this point. 1 in 3 Alk tests actually is readable, and when it does I don't know if I can trust the number. Really cool idea, and I think the team is working hard at it, but it needs another round of polishing.
I got a 15.7 dkh result today, with salifert solutions . Manually tested after, and it was 8.
Api tests don't even read apparently
Pretty new to it, but yeah, what's the point if you have to manually
test after every test

Boogieman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe @Reef Kinetics needs to come to this thread and try to provide some answers ..
I see them on another thread where it's all good news, and they are quite active.

I am looking to purchase a couple of auto testers, but if these problems are happening to the point, people are taking them off line cause they are not accurate or repeatable.
And are not getting answers or some resolution from @Reef Kinetics to their issues. It does not seem like it's worth the headache.

DatsoonDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe @Reef Kinetics needs to come to this thread and try to provide some answers ..
I see them on another thread where it's all good news, and they are quite active.

I am looking to purchase a couple of auto testers, but if these problems are happening to the point, people are taking them off line cause they are not accurate or repeatable.
And are not getting answers or some resolution from @Reef Kinetics to their issues. It does not seem like it's worth the headache.
I ordered some ABC reagents to try. I still haven't read enough about adjustments, etc.

MyFirstCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I mean, there's a lot of valid criticism against the reefbot, and if you look at the BeanAnimal thread their support really lacks, but from what I see the Mastertronic is just as bad if not worse. Maybe we're just not really ready for autotesters.

DatsoonDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, there's a lot of valid criticism against the reefbot, and if you look at the BeanAnimal thread their support really lacks, but from what I see the Mastertronic is just as bad if not worse. Maybe we're just not really ready for autotesters.
That's what I'm thinking.
I have my kits dialed in manually, so I think. Now I'm buying more reagents and questioning results

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I just set up my Bot, and I can't even get the WiFi to work, let alone run a test to see if mine is accurate. I submitted a ticket. Says it's connected but I have flashing blue lights still.
Hello! I apologize for not noticing this thread earlier. If you encounter this problem, please make sure to connect the device within the first 10 minutes after initiation. Also, please ensure that your wifi's password only contains letters and numbers, without any special characters.
If the device's light continues to blink blue, you can try to fix it by going to the app, pressing the top left button, and clicking on Device "RK...". From there, you can go to settings and click on the edit wifi button to connect the device. If this doesn't work, please let me know so I can escalate the issue to the team.

Regards,

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I got mine about a month ago and I can see myself getting to this point. 1 in 3 Alk tests actually is readable, and when it does I don't know if I can trust the number. Really cool idea, and I think the team is working hard at it, but it needs another round of polishing.
Hello, I'm sorry to hear that. I have forwarded your ticket to the support team. They should have contacted you by now to assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 15.7 dkh result today, with salifert solutions . Manually tested after, and it was 8.
Api tests don't even read apparently
Pretty new to it, but yeah, what's the point if you have to manually
test after every test
Hi Dave! The maximum value that Salifert alkalinity reads is 15.7 dkh. When you get this result(and is wrong), this usually happens when the titrant/indicator is insufficient, as the endpoint color will never be reached. Our team would like to send you some pointers via email to help you with some recommendations regarding the tests you are using. Can you please provide us with your email address?

Have a great day!

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some ABC reagents to try. I still haven't read enough about adjustments, etc.
Please be advised that the ABC reagents are currently in the Beta phase, as indicated on the app. Due to this, we do not recommend using them at this time as they may not provide accurate results. If you would like, I can send you some test kits that we recommend for use with the device in your location. Let me know if you would like me to do so.

DatsoonDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dave! The maximum value that Salifert alkalinity reads is 15.7 dkh. When you get this result(and is wrong), this usually happens when the titrant/indicator is insufficient, as the endpoint color will never be reached. Our team would like to send you some pointers via email to help you with some recommendations regarding the tests you are using. Can you please provide us with your email address?

Have a great day!
Ok cool

Absolutely.

niccumec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed my ReefBot Lab this week. Received unit in January, but just now cycling tank (plumbing took way longer then I anticipated!).

Only testing API Ammonia and Red Sea Nitrite Pro so far.

A couple of things I have noticed so far…
1. Bubble in the large syringe looks to under shoot sample volume of SW for most tests.
- Not sure why they don’t simply over pull the sample by 1-2 mL, dispense accurate volume in test chamber purely base on displacement - any air would be at top, then discard remaining in RO as waste SW. Seems like that would be more accurate…. and relatively easy to implement.
IMG_4578.jpeg

2. I need a “SW Prime” routine to ensure all SW in line have fully been purged and no air worked its way in there. (I had to add 3’ of TBG to reach my sump). If I had a “SW Prime”, then I could schedule that just prior to a set of scheduled tests. Perhaps this is already in the app somewhere as it would be very simple to program???

3. Why does the Test chamber need 10 mL calibration. In my unit there is still plenty of space in the chamber. All test volumes should be dispensed/measured with the syringe. So as long as it does not overflow, we should be good, correct? Could I just trick the calibration to allow more SW in test chamber? - this would allow each test to clear a bit more SW prior to test.

4. I see on the website several improvements. How am I supposed to know what has been improved since my very recent purchase? Ordered in October 2023, received delivery February 2024. Hard to stomach that there are enhancements not included in my very recent purchase.

What’s new in Batch #6?

• Enhanced Stirring Mechanism: This will guarantee proper vials’ stirring, especially viscous Nitrate & Phosphate tests.
  • Improved Color Sensor: Enhanced accuracy and precision with the upgraded color sensor technology.
  • LED Switch: Turn lights on/off with a click of a button
5. Seems like they should include some maintenance routines.

- SW Prime - as discussed above
- Reagent stir - could go around the horn and simple stir all the reagents every night or even every X hours.

I sure hope I do not get to the same point as @BeanAnimal !!! I love supporting new technology and this one seems like it should be able to be performed to the same quality as manual testing. I really hope ReefKinetics will work with us to make this Bot work well!!!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience was just not good. Nice idea, nice enough people but more "feel good" than "good".

Cheery responses and positive responses don't fix technical issues, design flaws or software shortcomings.

1. The system is 100% fully cloud dependent. This device can't function without constant communication to their cloud.

2. No transparency in firmware updates or software updates. No transparency regarding "tweaks" to individual system results (I still think they do this for each person who complains).

3. No end user calibration in context to scaling results to match a standard. So if you know for a fact that the reefbot reads x.x low on a test, you just have to live with it.

4. Too many variable to overcome with reagent QC even if the ReefBot itself was flawless

5. My results were believable sometimes and then something would change and they would be all over the map, same reagent, same tank, just something changed. Again I suspect that tweak things daily, as all test sequences and interpretation are done via the cloud service. The "reefbot" is just that, the robot being controlled from afar.

There is a lot more - but I just gave up. I am not spending more money on an upgrade to get the hardware to the latest revision either.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back