Reef Loving Greetings

Popcorndog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all you reef lovers! I am Neil from Illinois. I have been keeping salt water aquariums for almost 4 years, and learn something new about the hobby every day. Popcorndog is after my first dog who would jump into bowls of popcorn. He even knew the sound of a microwave popcorn wrapper and would run and sit by the microwave as it popped. I have a wife of 22 years and a 10 year old who picks out my fish. He has very expensive taste! My favorite fish is the Flame Wrasse. Favorite coral family is the chalice. I currently have a 90 gallon mixed reef tank with custom built cabinet that I made. Looking forward to sharing our experiences and hopefully improving my reef keeping skills.
Cheers

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Neil and thank you for introducing yourself :) let's see some pictures :) we love pictures;)
ezgif-4-b343699a52.gif
#WelcometoR2R

OP
OP
Popcorndog

Popcorndog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank crashed due to a bad batch of salt. I completed a water change with a new canister of salt, completed my water tests about a week and a half afterwards and discovered the magnesium was beyond the upper limits of the test kit. Took the salt to the lfs, he mixed some and got the same result. He replaced the salt and I tried to salvage the tank with a large water change. By that time it was too late, lost all the corals within a week. Actually, and surprisingly, the mushrooms and zoas survived. Unfortunately that set off a bacterial bloom that killed off all the fish, shrimp, crabs, snails, and starfish. Then it turned into a green algae aquascape. Not a fun experience. Spent weeks scrubbing rock only to have hair algae return within a week. Decided after four weeks of scrubbing and winter on its way to take the tank down and start over. Decided to go the dry rock path, as I spent countless hours trying to capture and remove hitchhikers from live rock that often would attack the corals or fish.

So for the time being, just call me Charlie Brown. I am just keeping my rocks in a tank for display;Happy

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back