Reef Mat 1200

trhft22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see how everyone feels about the new reef mat. It is a big invesstment and have heard bad things about the sensors and motors. Please let me know before I buy one!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see how everyone feels about the new reef mat. It is a big invesstment and have heard bad things about the sensors and motors. Please let me know before I buy one!
Hardly a new thing anymore, it does a great job though.

Do you feel you need one? It's a good tool but not at all required to be successful. I run my large tank with no mechanical filtration at all- just a refugium and a skimmer.

OP
OP
T

trhft22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was a unspoken requirement to do mechanical filtration. I have a super weak mechanical filtration on my current tank and it caused me lots of problems. Just didn't want to make the same mistake.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was a unspoken requirement to do mechanical filtration. I have a super weak mechanical filtration on my current tank and it caused me lots of problems. Just didn't want to make the same mistake.
Not at all, there's a million ways of being successful :) I have dedicated 20% of my full system volume to a well lit refugium.. But that's just one way out of many!

The roller is useful and it may very well be the way to go for you! There's only one person who knows :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gill the 3rd Any tips on how you keep utilization so low on such a large system? Seems like many others getting a month or so per roll.
Unfortunately no I don't really have any tips or anything I do specifically. The usage is going to depend on a few things, including the flow rate through your filter and how dirty your tank gets. They tend to get used up quicker when you first set them up.

One thing I read on this forum is that if you raise the filter roller higher in the sump, then it will go through the roll slower since the level sensor is higher. I personally haven't tried this though.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back