REEF MYSTERY? Skimmer malfunction.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 27, 2017
Messages
4,233
Reaction score
12,495
Location
ARIZONA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not very often! Maybe twice a year. My Skimmer of choice, the Bubble Magus Curve 7 decides to “back flush” if you will.
I’ve had this workhorse for going on 8 years. It needs emptied and cleaned every 3 or 5 days.
It will be 2 or 3 days and I’ll take a look underneath the tank and notice I need to do the maintenance within a few days. The following day or so, I’ll randomly glance underneath only to discover the 2 inches of Turkish coffee is no long there but back in my tank. Arrg!
No reason at all. A couple times a year?

Any experiencing the same phenomenon?
And what do you attribute it to?

IMG_6584.jpeg
 
Not very often! Maybe twice a year. My Skimmer of choice, the Bubble Magus Curve 7 decides to “back flush” if you will.
I’ve had this workhorse for going on 8 years. It needs emptied and cleaned every 3 or 5 days.
It will be 2 or 3 days and I’ll take a look underneath the tank and notice I need to do the maintenance within a few days. The following day or so, I’ll randomly glance underneath only to discover the 2 inches of Turkish coffee is no long there but back in my tank. Arrg!
No reason at all. A couple times a year?

Any experiencing the same phenomenon?
And what do you attribute it to?

IMG_6584.jpeg
Logically I would suggest to check the drain tube on the bottom of the collection cup. If at a certain pressure it’s starts to leak there is your problem.
 
Logically I would suggest to check the drain tube on the bottom of the collection cup. If at a certain pressure it’s starts to leak there is your problem.
I have always had it cut back to about 4” and capped? That’s probably why I empty it every 4 or so days.
 
I have always had it cut back to about 4” and capped? That’s probably why I empty it every 4 or so days.
Can you explain this, not sure exactly what you’re saying. Really there isn’t any other way for the skim to go back in the tank unless there is a leak in some part of the skimmer collection cup. The easiest way to find where or what is going on is the remove the cup and fill it with water in the sink and see what happens. If nothing happens than I’ve got to agree with @Formulator about the aliens
 
Can you explain this, not sure exactly what you’re saying. Really there isn’t any other way for the skim to go back in the tank unless there is a leak in some part of the skimmer collection cup. The easiest way to find where or what is going on is the remove the cup and fill it with water in the sink and see what happens. If nothing happens than I’ve got to agree with @Formulator about the aliens
So, yes, coming out of the skimmer cup is the hose that allows we the hobbyists to direct the skimmate to a larger container somewhere in our sump area. I’ve never wanted a septic tank lol so I cut the long hose down to 4 inches. Not a big deal when I clean the cut. It’s never in the way.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new