Reef News Network and ReefWeeds present: The Super Mega Awesome Shrimp Bowl Build.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Are you going to enter the contest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheFishLady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm super bummed. Most of my shrimp died overnight. I have no idea what happened, they were fine when I fell asleep, and now I have 2 out of 10 left. My water parameters yesterday were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 15 nitrate. The only significant thing I did differently last night was I cracked the window to let in some cool night air. It was in the upper 50's last night, and petshrimp.com says that is within a safe temp range (though I doubt the tank actually cooled that much). Thoughts? I really want to figure out what happened before ordering more.

JP Wagner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm super bummed. Most of my shrimp died overnight. I have no idea what happened, they were fine when I fell asleep, and now I have 2 out of 10 left. My water parameters yesterday were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 15 nitrate. The only significant thing I did differently last night was I cracked the window to let in some cool night air. It was in the upper 50's last night, and petshrimp.com says that is within a safe temp range (though I doubt the tank actually cooled that much). Thoughts? I really want to figure out what happened before ordering more.

Mine tank is by a closed window and my in tank temp was 68. It can dip fast bc it’s such a small body of water.

TheFishLady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine tank is by a closed window and my in tank temp was 68. It can dip fast bc it’s such a small body of water.
Yeah, I was worried about that. My tank is about 5 feet from the window and the low for last night was 58 degrees. We normally keep the house at 68-70. It shouldn't have dropped out of their safe range, but the change might have been too drastic for them

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super Bummer. Sorry to hear that. My shrimp are slowing down. Not nearly as zippy as they first were, so I hope they are okay. We have had a big temp drop in the last 24 hours but its been fairly consistent inside so I don't think that is it. Its been incredibly cloudy though and they have not been getting a ton of light so that could be it too.

Good_vibes_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My week 4&5 update. I was wrong when I thought the cycle was close to done. Good thing I tested again before I ordered shrimp. Haven’t had much of a change unfortunately for these two weeks. Not sure if I should blame the driftwood or 3” sandbed [emoji848][emoji19] definitely thinking of pulling the driftwood

3bd8beb770db5f37554e051d1c33f440.jpg
ecc8fe7b68075a3812c97345b7644d4d.jpg

Good_vibes_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That sucks! Small volumes can cool down much quicker that we think so it’s possible but that’s been said. Was your nitrates always at 15 or 0 and rose to 15?

TheFishLady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks! Small volumes can cool down much quicker that we think so it’s possible but that’s been said. Was your nitrates always at 15 or 0 and rose to 15?
Yeah, it was a stupid mistake, and hopefully others can learn from it too. I'm not used to having tanks without heaters!
I didn't test for nitrates in the very early stages of my cycle, then the were present as my cycle completed, and have just hovered around 10-15 ppm using a Salifert kit.

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimps are doing great! I put my lamp on a timer during the day since this side of the house doesn't get a lot of natural sunlight. I love watching them zoom around :)

IMG_20180922_234056.jpg

IMG_20180922_233925.jpg
I just love how this build looks like a totally normal lamp from a distance until you get up close and see it has life, very cool!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back