Reef octo 110int classic to dc?

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, just kinda fishin here to see if anyone has changed out the pump for a dc pump on these guys. Been running the skimmer for 8mo and it's been doing its job but sometimes tuning it in can be a headache. just seeing if anyone has swapped it out with a dc and had any info on a good pump to do it with. Thanks!

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, just kinda fishin here to see if anyone has changed out the pump for a dc pump on these guys. Been running the skimmer for 8mo and it's been doing its job but sometimes tuning it in can be a headache. just seeing if anyone has swapped it out with a dc and had any info on a good pump to do it with. Thanks!
I did swap one with the various 2 skimmer pump but I didn't really see the value in doing so. IMO

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of tunability, a DC controlled pump with speed control will have its pros against a single speed AC pump. Less energy draw, quieter operation, less vibration, more features (feed timer, remote on off switch so you dont need to reach around to unplug, float switch so you dont run the risk of overflowing the collection, ability to connect to an external reef controller for extra fine adjustments etc etc.) Its not just about bubble production when switching over to a DC pump.

I did something similar, someone was selling a Vertex Alpha 170 skimmer body only for a very good price. I picked it up and put a Reef Octopus Varios 4 skimmer pump on it which matches the specs of the original pump it came with and absolutely love how it performs.

OP
OP
BairCorals

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of tunability, a DC controlled pump with speed control will have its pros against a single speed AC pump. Less energy draw, quieter operation, less vibration, more features (feed timer, remote on off switch so you dont need to reach around to unplug, float switch so you dont run the risk of overflowing the collection, ability to connect to an external reef controller for extra fine adjustments etc etc.) Its not just about bubble production when switching over to a DC pump.

I did something similar, someone was selling a Vertex Alpha 170 skimmer body only for a very good price. I picked it up and put a Reef Octopus Varios 4 skimmer pump on it which matches the specs of the original pump it came with and absolutely love how it performs.
I never thought of it like that, thats a good point for sure! I mean the pump is dead quiet now, only hear the air going thru the skimmer. But some float switches and feed mode would be pretty sweet to have. Thinking of going hydros in the near future so controller friendly helps as well. I'll mull it over for another 3 or 8 months and see what comes of it lol.
Thanks for info!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back