Reef Octo not producing bubbles

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been running this for almost 3 years (bought used as well) I took the skimmer out the other day and soaked the pump, Venturi, and gate valve in vinegar. Now it’s just kinda sputtering bubbles. This is the original pump, didn’t see how to actually take pump apart to more efficiently clean. Any others experience this.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been running this for almost 3 years (bought used as well) I took the skimmer out the other day and soaked the pump, Venturi, and gate valve in vinegar. Now it’s just kinda sputtering bubbles. This is the original pump, didn’t see how to actually take pump apart to more efficiently clean. Any others experience this.
What model?

Also, have you tried to blow into the hose that runs to the muffler? (if it has a muffler and feed hose)

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep…blew in the hose….works for a few , then starts sputtering again.
It’s the 150 Int Classic

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep…blew in the hose….works for a few , then starts sputtering again.
It’s the 150 Int Classic
On the 150 INT, you should be able to remove the cover for the pump, the ring that hold the air tube and the impeller.

Here are some pics of my 110 apart, as the 150 and 200 are currently in tanks and running. Same thing though, sort of.

For the 150, it has a ring around the pump inlet that has to be removed. You just twist that counter clockwise and it comes off. Where the 110, it is made to the inlet cover.

First step is to remove the inlet hose ring. It just pulls off. may take some light twisting back and forth to get it loose.

Second step is to turn the retaining ring counter clockwise and remove that.

Third is to gently wiggle the inlet cover back and forth while pulling out on it. Be careful with this, as there are 3 small tabs (you can see these once the ring is off) that are used for alignment.

Once that is off, you will see the impeller and needle wheel. Or it may come out with it.

From there, check to make sure no gunk is in the needles and that all passages are clear. This includes the inlet tube ring that you first removed.

Most of the time when the skimmers stop making micro bubble, there is something in the needles, something is clogging the inlet hole where the tube goes, or the Venturi area in the inlet ring has stuff in it.

You should be able to clean all of this and it work again. If it does not, this is also a good time to check to see how the pump works. Put it back together, leave the outer ring off, and then put in some water to make sure int is moving water well. If it is, then put the ring back on, the hose back on and put back in the water. You should now see bubbles. If you do not, then either the pump is not clean enough or the motor is weak and not spinning fast enough.

You can see below for the ring with the nipple I am referring to. I can never remember what this is actually called lol. You can also see the 2 tabs. Your 150 will have 3 that look like tabs, but that is actually a ring that has to be twisted and can be removed.

IMG_8376.JPG

IMG_8377.JPG

Once apart, it will look like this, but you will have a ring, as opposed to my cover on this one with the 2 tabs.

IMG_8378.JPG

The impeller looks like this once out. Make sure you do not lose the little end caps. Those line it up and are also bushings. Check to make sure that there is nothing in the needles. If there is, a small zip tie or bread tie works great to dig whatever out and not hurt or break the needles.

IMG_8379.JPG

And here is the inside of the Venturi or whatever the ring is called lol. Make sure this area is nice and clear of anything. The 150 has more of a lip than the 110 below, but it gives you an idea of what you will be looking at. Again, a small zip tie or bread tie works great to dig stuff out of there, if anything is there.

IMG_8380.JPG

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the detailed answer. Mine is a PITA to get out of my sump. Wife will be thrilled….lol.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the detailed answer. Mine is a PITA to get out of my sump. Wife will be thrilled….lol.
You may not need to remove the whole skimmer. If you can get in there and undo the union holding the pump to the skimmer, that works for servicing just the pump.

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked like charm Steve, and boy was it nasty. TY so much for taking the time to respond and explain.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back