Reef Octopus 110 Leaking Bubbles

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that my display as developed micro bubbles that have become worse over time. The cause is my Reef Octopus 110 in the return chamber of the sump. For some reason, the Reef Octopus 110 seems to be leaking bubbles from the body into the return chamber of the sump and then into the display.

Any ideas as to when might be causing this problem?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've noticed that my display as developed micro bubbles that have become worse over time. The cause is my Reef Octopus 110 in the return chamber of the sump. For some reason, the Reef Octopus 110 seems to be leaking bubbles from the body into the return chamber of the sump and then into the display.

Any ideas as to when might be causing this problem?

I would start by looking for a leak or loose connection. Can you tell where the bubbles are coming from?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by looking for a leak or loose connection. Can you tell where the bubbles are coming from?

Not sure. It looks like it may be coming from the base.

I haven't cleaned it since Thanksgiving, so, I plan on pulling it and giving it a good cleaning. But if there are parts that are prone to wear, I'd like to replace them while it is out and in pieces.

I'll turn it on and see if I can get a better idea from where it is leaking.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My 110 is pretty bullet proof - not a lot of wear parts other than the pump and those are historically solid on that model.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... so this is what I can tell you about what is happening when I turn on the Octo 110...

Within the body, at the base, is the pump. Connected to that pump is a disk which is the diameter of the body and has 1/4 inch holes evenly spaced out on the disk.

What appears to be happening is that some of the micro bubbles are traveling below the disk and leaking out through the air intake which is below the sump water line.

I also want to mention that the I left the skimmer on over night at its dialed in setting. I inspected it this morning to find that the cup had flooded.

Thank you for paying attention to this post. Having the same skimmer, I am hoping that you can provide some insight.

Thanks,
Dom

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok... so this is what I can tell you about what is happening when I turn on the Octo 110...

Within the body, at the base, is the pump. Connected to that pump is a disk which is the diameter of the body and has 1/4 inch holes evenly spaced out on the disk.

What appears to be happening is that some of the micro bubbles are traveling below the disk and leaking out through the air intake which is below the sump water line.

I also want to mention that the I left the skimmer on over night at its dialed in setting. I inspected it this morning to find that the cup had flooded.

Thank you for paying attention to this post. Having the same skimmer, I am hoping that you can provide some insight.

Thanks,
Dom

Based on your description I realized that you appear to have the 110SSS (nice skimmer by the way!), whereas I have the 110INT and they are slightly different designs.

A couple of questions - how high is the water line on the skimmer? Have you cleaned out the air line and the air line connectors on each end? Based on what you have described, it seems like there is either a loose connection or impediment in the air line which could cause both the air leak and the random skimming.

@Jeff@CoralVue - thoughts?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your description I realized that you appear to have the 110SSS (nice skimmer by the way!), whereas I have the 110INT and they are slightly different designs.

A couple of questions - how high is the water line on the skimmer? Have you cleaned out the air line and the air line connectors on each end? Based on what you have described, it seems like there is either a loose connection or impediment in the air line which could cause both the air leak and the random skimming.

@Jeff@CoralVue - thoughts?

The water level in the sump is consistent as I use a gravity-fed ATO setup. At first, I thought the issue may be related to the water level. But then eliminated that as a cause as this would have been happening out of the gate. This problem has developed over time.

I like your theory about air line impediment. Typically, I pull the skimmer from the sump every 4 months for complete disassembly. I was due to pull it mid March but still haven't. I'm thinking this is an issue related to overdue maintenance.

Give me a few days to pull it and give it a good cleaning. I'll get back to you.

Again, thank you for your attention on this issue.

Dom

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like a plan! When you get a chance I encourage you to watch Jake Adam's MACNA talk:

If you want, you can jump to 16:23 for the part about cleaning protein skimmers. IMO, he offers some helpful tips.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I watched the first 25 minutes of the Jake Adams video (I'll finish it up later). Very informative stuff. His systems are immaculate; no sight of salt creep. The tank looks sterile, and am left to wonder what his DT's look like.

I will say this; the video has inspired me to get on top of things. LOL

I have good husbandry routines, but after seeing this, I can understand how I can improve upon them still.

Again, I'll post once I do the recommended cleaning of the skimmer.

Safe weekend to you and yours.

Dom

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 110sss and mine does that as well. It is a great skimmer but temperamental a bit. I run my on setting 2. When I dose aminos I should turn it off but I don’t and the water level in the skimmer drops very low and micro bubbles go below the plate you mentioned, then when it gets going again it’ll over flow, I drilled a hole in the collection cup to tie the overflow to an outside the sump container just in case. Does the same thing around feeding time. I bought an apex yesterday so I can have the skimmer shut off when the auto feeder turns on to avoid this. Other issue is having it in the return chamber, that will almost always leak some bubbles into the tank. Need to have some baffle system to break that up.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

A thorough cleaning solved the problem. It was overdue. Usually every 3-4 months, but I went 6+ this time around.

Thanks for the input.

Dom

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This micro bubbles coming out from base is also happening to my Nyos 120 skimmer. YouTube and forums suggested that this is normal for new skimmer

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This micro bubbles coming out from base is also happening to my Nyos 120 skimmer. YouTube and forums suggested that this is normal for new skimmer

I'm sorry of I gave the impression it was a new skimmer... its 3 years old.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other issue is having it in the return chamber,

And yet, I think the return chamber is the perfect spot. It comes after the refugium. I don't want the skimmer stripping out nutrients before the refugium. Let the refugium absorb what it can and have the skimmer take out what remains.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And yet, I think the return chamber is the perfect spot. It comes after the refugium. I don't want the skimmer stripping out nutrients before the refugium. Let the refugium absorb what it can and have the skimmer take out what remains.

One option would be to add a pre-filter to the return pump so that you reduce the risk of adding micro-bubbles from the skimmer back to the tank.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One option would be to add a pre-filter to the return pump so that you reduce the risk of adding micro-bubbles from the skimmer back to the tank.

As I mentioned previously, I gave it a good cleaning and it is fine.

Thanks for the Jake Adams video... very informative!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back