Reef Octopus oversized pump for skimmer

ajtomase

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 25, 2020
Messages
368
Reaction score
162
Location
Chandler
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that even after cleaning my Reef Octopus 250-INT skimmer (has a VarioS-6 pump) that it's not pushing the waste into the collection cup as strong as it use to even when the speed is all the way to max. I'll get it mostly collecting in the neck, but even when I try to skim wet it doesn't really push it into the cup and has liquid collection in the cup. I'm trying to maintain my nutrients and it's starting to sound like the skimmer is oversized (had it for 5 years and use to do fine for my 200 gallon)


I thought about downsizing my skimmer to the 200-INT (that normally has the VarioS-4 pump), but still keeping the same VarioS-6 pump to it so it's strong enough to push the bubbles into the collection cup...or do I downsize the entire skimmer and use the pump that comes with the downsized one?
 
If its already stuck to the inside of skimmer body may take several days to dissolve and work its way into the cup.
Close the valve so the bubbles are breaking at the bottom of the neck
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new