Reef Octopus Skimmer Comparison

SundayinJuly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to keeping a salt tank so I am still learning the terms for most of the supplies needed to help my tank thrive. Currently I do not have a protein skimmer and am looking to purchase one from reef octopus as it seems to harbor the best reviews online.

I am stuck between the 110EXT 4" recirculating and the 110INT 4" Internal protein skimmer. There are no comparisons online that have given me enough information to truly know the difference between the two, so I would like to see what the fish community would recommend for my tank:

Current tank is 40 gallons with a snowflake eel, valentini puffer, and a niger trigger, and will soon be upgrading to an 80 gallon. Equipment in use includes: Magniflow 220 canister filter, and a UV sterilizer.

The ultimate goal of this thread is to gain more knowledge of the skimmers I've listed to ensure I purchase the best one for my tank, but I am also excited to learn as much as I can about the hobby, so please feel free to provide insight and products suggestions!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI but you don't need a skimmer for a reef system to thrive. But if you're set on getting one you should look at these comparisons, basicly there's not much difference between them.

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 1

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 2

A couple of my skimmerless systems

90 Gallon Mixed Reef

500 gallon

Mixed Reef started in 1997, 10-07-19

220 Rimless 450 view

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 62 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 47 21.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 25 11.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 74 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back