Reef Parameters Question

bluereef250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the reef hobby for 5 years now and have always stuck to LPS and soft corals. I have a few SPS in my tank now and have not seen any growth in them over the past few months. I have also noticed some algae growing on the Pavona. I have a green slimer, red digitata, green Pavona and red monti cap (newly added). I am dosing Tropic Marin all for reef. The tank is a Red Sea Reefer 250. Lights are 2 AI Prime HDs and 1 Hydra 32. I've always tested my parameters with the Salifert test kits, but recently sent my water to Saltwateraquarium.com and these are the results.
I'm also dosing 5ml NOPOX per day.

These are my parameters:
ALK 122
PH 7.8
PHOS 0.3
CA 456
MG 1453
AMMO 0.2
NITRATE 0.0
NITRATE 16

I will attach some pictures. Thanks for any help!

Tank 1.jpeg Tank 2.jpeg Tank 3.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop the NoPox and be sure to do water changes. It's a form of carbon dosing and is adding labile DOC to promote microbial growth. It's anybody's guess if the microbial growth being promoted is beneficial or detrimental to corals. If you want to read up on DOC here's a data bomb:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Microbial view of Coral Decline

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Indirect effects of algae on coral: algae‐mediated, microbe‐induced coral mortality

Influence of coral and algal exudates on microbially mediated reef metabolism.
Coral DOC improves oxygen (autotrophy), algae DOC reduces oxygen (heterotrophy).

Role of elevated organic carbon levels and microbial activity in coral mortality

Effects of Coral Reef Benthic Primary Producers on Dissolved Organic Carbon and Microbial Activity
Algae releases significantly more DOC into the water than coral.

Pathologies and mortality rates caused by organic carbon and nutrient stressors in three Caribbean coral species.
DOC caused coral death but not high nitrates, phosphates or ammonium.

Visualization of oxygen distribution patterns caused by coral and algae

Biological oxygen demand optode analysis of coral reef-associated microbial communities exposed to algal exudates
Exposure to exudates derived from turf algae stimulated higher oxygen drawdown by the coral-associated bacteria.

Microbial ecology: Algae feed a shift on coral reefs

Coral and macroalgal exudates vary in neutral sugar composition and differentially enrich reef bacterioplankton lineages.

Sugar enrichment provides evidence for a role of nitrogen fixation in coral bleaching

Elevated ammonium delays the impairment of the coral-dinoflagellate symbiosis during labile carbon pollution

Excess labile carbon promotes the expression of virulence factors in coral reef bacterioplankton

Unseen players shape benthic competition on coral reefs.

Allelochemicals Produced by Brown Macroalgae of the Lobophora Genus Are Active against Coral Larvae and Associated Bacteria, Supporting Pathogenic Shifts to Vibrio Dominance.

Macroalgae decrease growth and alter microbial community structure of the reef-building coral, Porites astreoides.

Macroalgal extracts induce bacterial assemblage shifts and sublethal tissue stress in Caribbean corals.

Biophysical and physiological processes causing oxygen loss from coral reefs.

Global microbialization of coral reefs

OP
OP
bluereef250

bluereef250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will stop the NOPOX and increase my water changes. I’ve been doing 20 gallon water changes once a month.

Should I increase All for Reef to raise alkalinity? The SPS at the top are thriving but have not grown and do not have white tips showing growth.

Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've been in the reef hobby for 5 years now and have always stuck to LPS and soft corals. I have a few SPS in my tank now and have not seen any growth in them over the past few months. I have also noticed some algae growing on the Pavona. I have a green slimer, red digitata, green Pavona and red monti cap (newly added). I am dosing Tropic Marin all for reef. The tank is a Red Sea Reefer 250. Lights are 2 AI Prime HDs and 1 Hydra 32. I've always tested my parameters with the Salifert test kits, but recently sent my water to Saltwateraquarium.com and these are the results.
I'm also dosing 5ml NOPOX per day.

These are my parameters:
ALK 122
PH 7.8
PHOS 0.3
CA 456
MG 1453
AMMO 0.2
NITRATE 0.0
NITRATE 16

I will attach some pictures. Thanks for any help!

Tank 1.jpeg Tank 2.jpeg Tank 3.jpeg
Dont worry about nitrite level with your tank Unless sky high and I would pull off Nopox which is often an alternative and not a solution. Numbers look decent and Po4 needs to come down to .08-.1)

Some effective methods are (teaspoon of GFO), skimmer, salgae scrubber and daily 2 galln water changes.
Are you using tap water by chance?
Akso overfeeding can be a cause as well as use of reef roids coral foods

Last edited:

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numbers look decent and Po4 can actually go up a little (to .08-.1)

He posted .3. Not .o3. That is a little high for sps but ive heard people keep it at .5 and sps are fine.

Just give the sps time. If they are not bleaching then they are just biding time until they take off. Those are pretty good growers. Dont move em around. Every time you move em you set em back.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He posted .3. Not .o3. That is a little high for sps but ive heard people keep it at .5 and sps are fine.

Just give the sps time. If they are not bleaching then they are just biding time until they take off. Those are pretty good growers. Dont move em around. Every time you move em you set em back.
Y see this now on computer screen versus phone.

OP
OP
bluereef250

bluereef250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont worry about nitrite level with your tank Unless sky high and I would pull off Nopox which is often an alternative and not a solution. Numbers look decent and Po4 needs to come down to .08-.1)

Some effective methods are (teaspoon of GFO), skimmer, salgae scrubber and daily 2 galln water changes.
Are you using tap water by chance?
Akso overfeeding can be a cause as well as use of reef roids coral foods
I am running a skimmer and have tried GFO in a media bag in the past with no change. That's one reason why I was trying NOPOX, but I will start doing 20 gallon water changes every 2 weeks and see if that makes a difference. I also have a RODI unit with a TDS meter that I make my water with. I feed pellets or frozen food once a day. My fish are:
1 yellow tang
2 clownfish
1 damsel
1 coral beauty
1 purple dottyback
1 diamond goby

Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back