reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might ask if theres a new guide or a wiring pinout i need to change to. .3 is solid! It just running and running. No reboots or anything!
The guides have not been update yet.. I'll start the documentation update process after this weekend's release (0.9), once code freeze in place.
Electronics/wiring everything remained same, just the UI has changed a bit, you have to recreate your outlets etc. Also username/password is enforced. No hardware changes, its all UI changes, lots of more features, many critical bug fixes (some were introduced in 0.6/0.7)

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Ranjib , I'm going through setup now & I've run into a roadblock caused by my apparent lack of RBPi knowledge. I've downloaded the 0.8 release & am on the install step:
  • Open Terminal and type following commands to install reef-pi
sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-<version>.deb

I've tried multiple variations of this, but it's not working. What exactly should I be typing? I've tried too many things to type out, but my best guesses were:

sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-<0.8.2-pi3>.deb

sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-0.8.2-pi3.deb

sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-<0.8.2>.deb

& a ton of other slight changes, but nothing is sticking. It just keeps saying no such file or directory.

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Ranjib , I'm going through setup now & I've run into a roadblock caused by my apparent lack of RBPi knowledge. I've downloaded the 0.8 release & am on the install step:

I've tried multiple variations of this, but it's not working. What exactly should I be typing? I've tried too many things to type out, but my best guesses were:

& a ton of other slight changes, but nothing is sticking. It just keeps saying no such file or directory.

I'm no Linux expert, but the first thing you should do is make sure your in the same folder you downloaded reef-pi to.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It means that file is not present in the current folder from where you are invoking this command. How you have downloaded the package? If you can tell us that, we can help you better,
try following step:
Code:
wget -c https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/download/0.8.2/reef-pi-0.8.2-pi3.deb

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It means that file is not present in the current folder from where you are invoking this command. How you have downloaded the package? If you can tell us that, we can help you better,
try following step:
Code:
wget -c https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/download/0.8.2/reef-pi-0.8.2-pi3.deb

I downloaded it from https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases & put it in my documents folder.

I'm not sure what was going on with it, but I tried those 2 steps worked. Thanks for the help!

yagodajm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just everything loaded to my pi and get the login screen on my browser. I put pi for the user and raspberry for the password. All the happens is the site resets itself. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Justin

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just everything loaded to my pi and get the login screen on my browser. I put pi for the user and raspberry for the password. All the happens is the site resets itself. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Justin
Username: reef-pi
Password: reef-pi

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pins are set up by the user.
If I remember correctly the only ones that are static are
Pin7 - GPIO4 - Temp probe
Pin8 - GPIO14 - reserved for UART
Pin12- GPIO15 - reserved for UART
Pin11 - GPIO17 - ATO
upload_2017-11-18_15-34-14.png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOH, GPIO17 is supposed to be reserved / for ATO?
Not necessarily . This are recommended ones, which mean reef-pi 1.0 will ship with those setting as default. Most of them can be changed via settings tab. Temperature probe is almost always bound to gpio4 (can be changed only by kernel settings). I'll be adding this in reef-pi documentation as part of 1.0 release.
Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 3.58.31 PM.png

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pins are set up by the user.
If I remember correctly the only ones that are static are
Pin7 - GPIO4 - Temp probe
Pin8 - GPIO14 - reserved for UART
Pin12- GPIO15 - reserved for UART
Pin11 - GPIO17 - ATO
upload_2017-11-18_15-34-14.png

Question i setup a 5v to 3.3v converter between the pi for the probe sensory output is this a necessary step? I dont actually have it running yet as was finishing housing for everything before i actually turned it on lol.
d0e393683a6c61a0a3d092188268e9e7.jpg

Label printer and photoshop lol.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question i setup a 5v to 3.3v converter between the pi for the probe sensory output is this a necessary step? I dont actually have it running yet as was finishing housing for everything before i actually turned it on lol.
d0e393683a6c61a0a3d092188268e9e7.jpg

Label printer and photoshop lol.
Can you elaborate? Which sensors?
The GPIO pins are on 3.3v logic.
On my system the 5v is only powering the PCA9685 (my relays have their own supply)

Not necessarily . This are recommended ones, which mean reef-pi 1.0 will ship with those setting as default. Most of them can be changed via settings tab. Temperature probe is almost always bound to gpio4 (can be changed only by kernel settings). I'll be adding this in reef-pi documentation as part of 1.0 release.
Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 3.58.31 PM.png
Apparently I didnt scroll down far enough in my spreadsheet as I had that picture too, my bad.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back