reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Android, do you get Blynk on iOS? as it has potential to be the perfect companions for phone use.
Screenshot_20180611-231017.jpeg
I think this was mentioned before. Blank requires you to install a dedicated agent on the pi. I think if we want an app, it’s better to write one. If we need a cloud server, it’s better to create a reef-pi specific cloud backend. But reef-pi the controller must be able to run on its own, and accessible from anything with a browser (which is the case currently ). Thing like blynk looks appealing in the beginner but as you strart implementing the entire reef-pi ui there, sooner or later you’ll realize it’s much easier to have your own app instead of writing an intermediate script for every feature and then hook it up with a third part app (blynk in this case).
If we didn’t have reed-pi and just use blynk agent to implement all the reef-pi features instead, then it will make sense.
My 2 cents

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef-pi UI is a website, and can be accessed via mobile. I dont have any plan to write mobile app till 2.0 release at least. I dont know after that I'll write or not, I also dont know if I do wrtite it will be iOS or Android. I personnaly use iPhone, so if I do write an app its likely to be an iOS app first.

In terms of accessing reef-pi from outside your home network, you can setup port forwarding (you can google for your ISP specific steps, i do it using Xfinity portal, AT&T has similar things as well). As @Erica-Renee mentioned, use a strong password & https. And use it temporarily when you need it
I have been using Remot3.it to access my system while away. Nice built in security that is designed specifically for interfacing to Raspberry Pis. This allows you to SSH of access Web interface as needed.
So far I have been happy with it. Nice to not have to open any ports on my network.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all you tech ppl out there.

does anyone know what ever happen to a company called Reef pom formally reef AI. I bought one of there RASBERRY PI units they where trying to bring to the market but not being very techie I did not set it up as I was moving tank around.
so now I was thinking about doing something with this bad boy but cant find any info on it.

was thinking of sealing it as it may just be to much of a controller for me...

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all you tech ppl out there.

does anyone know what ever happen to a company called Reef pom formally reef AI. I bought one of there RASBERRY PI units they where trying to bring to the market but not being very techie I did not set it up as I was moving tank around.
so now I was thinking about doing something with this bad boy but cant find any info on it.

was thinking of sealing it as it may just be to much of a controller for me...
This is the first time I am hearing about this. I went ahead and searched about them, and it looked really promising. But their current website is down, the github code has not been updated for over 3 years, and youtube/facebook page is also looking pretty stale :-( . I feel sad. Its an opensource project, and I wish I could help them anyway. I'll look into the code, and probably drop them an email. It will be a shame to loose such project.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for clarification please, is that "pin" number or "gpio" number?
Yes always . Unless explicitly said , I (and all docs and code) refers to gpio pin number not serial number (position in the board) for raspberry pi.
This has caused major confusion and pain in past.

I’ll update the official pinout guide as well

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first time I am hearing about this. I went ahead and searched about them, and it looked really promising. But their current website is down, the github code has not been updated for over 3 years, and youtube/facebook page is also looking pretty stale :-( . I feel sad. Its an opensource project, and I wish I could help them anyway. I'll look into the code, and probably drop them an email. It will be a shame to loose such project.

yeah I was so excited to get a beta version but being a total noob to controllers I did not set it up. they had lots of youtube vids and the whole project looked really amazing there water level sensor that read from 0-100 looked really cool and they made 2 or 3 versions I was really excited about that for my ATO res.

really sad to see such a great company and project vanish. I am sure there controller is still usable tho I'll post some pics so you can see how well made it was.

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes always . Unless explicitly said , I (and all docs and code) refers to gpio pin number not serial number (position in the board) for raspberry pi.
This has caused major confusion and pain in past.

I’ll update the official pinout guide as well

Thank you.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I was so excited to get a beta version but being a total noob to controllers I did not set it up. they had lots of youtube vids and the whole project looked really amazing there water level sensor that read from 0-100 looked really cool and they made 2 or 3 versions I was really excited about that for my ATO res.

really sad to see such a great company and project vanish. I am sure there controller is still usable tho I'll post some pics so you can see how well made it was.
Theres another thread in DIY section on using ultrasonic range finder to use for water level sensor. I am stoked to see that well.
I would also love to see the ato's finally say the level which is quantitative value, instead of just yes or no (which is boolean). Other simpl improvement like this, I think there is huge opportunity to use machine learning (particularly time series data analysis) and to make the controller aware (with historical knowledge) of you tank. That way it understand whats normal fluctuation and then detect anomalies. Another thing will be to combine this learning from outside environment data (like ato usage vs room humidity, temperature fluctuations vs room temperature , etc).. these are few things i feel will keep me very excited for next few years at least :)

I wish though our hardwar/electronics chops get as good as these other projects. We are getting better though... learning slowly :)

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are always looking for people to contribute. You don’t have to read the 200 pages unless you want to know the history :) . Official docs should be ok, and just start building a controller and ask us if you need any help

And, welcome to reef2reef , you’ll love it here . People are very friendly

Where are the official docs?

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super long thread but have we found a way to control the power bar through USB? I would think controlling everything through standard USB would be awesome and allow for true module builds. Not daisy chained or using a different voltage like Apex does. Just standard USB protocol.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super long thread but have we found a way to control the power bar through USB? I would think controlling everything through standard USB would be awesome and allow for true module builds. Not daisy chained or using a different voltage like Apex does. Just standard USB protocol.
There is no standard USB instruction protocol. USB the protocol only covers data transmissing and limite around it (how many voltage it should be able withstand etc). Interpreting that data (instruction) is up to the device manufacturer.
For powebars, if you are in US, i recommend using ADJ SRP 2 power strip (8 channel, 15A, db9 connector). For outside US, roll your own using relays and receptacles (in fact thats what I did before I was made aware of ADJ powerstrips). If we do end up having our own 3d designs of power bar (like plans that one can use to CNC parts), we'll get to decide /standardize the connector, and may be that time we can discuss whats best, USB or db9 or even hdmi...

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no standard USB instruction protocol. USB the protocol only covers data transmissing and limite around it (how many voltage it should be able withstand etc). Interpreting that data (instruction) is up to the device manufacturer.
For powebars, if you are in US, i recommend using ADJ SRP 2 power strip (8 channel, 15A, db9 connector). For outside US, roll your own using relays and receptacles (in fact thats what I did before I was made aware of ADJ powerstrips). If we do end up having our own 3d designs of power bar (like plans that one can use to CNC parts), we'll get to decide /standardize the connector, and may be that time we can discuss whats best, USB or db9 or even hdmi...

Not finding ADJ SRP 2 power strip on amazon you got a good link?

aquaalgae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can change the update frequency (like per second) , but i doubt how meaningful this is. Given there is only 4096 level, for a 8 hour photo period, you are applying intensity values 8x3600 times. So, most of the time there is nothing really to change, may be a middle ground is better. There is also the risk of thrashing cpu . I think I can make it configurable, and ship with 1 minute interval, and users can change that to suit their needs.
When i say programming, i dont mean you have to change reef-pi code. reef-pi is API driven, and you can use a simpler language like python or javascript/node js to tell reef-pi anything custom you want, including most of the things you have mentioned here: https://reef-pi.github.io/additional-documentation/api/
Do you have an example python script that I could use as a starting point that would update the PWM value to each channel every second? Thanks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back