reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there is software that lies within the power bar itself. It's more than just a relayed bar. Through the head units it can be programmed to default a channel on or off if the head u it is removed. These firmwares were periodically updated. It is signaled along a 6 wire rj11 buss. I'm not quite ready to open one of mine up.
Well, if its not being used, then does it make sense to keep the electronics/software parts? If I had something like that, I'll just rip all of it out (fancy electronics/mcu etc), and salvage what I can, like the outlets, relays etc and note down what voltage the relay requires and reuse the connectors to control them directly.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if its not being used, then does it make sense to keep the electronics/software parts? If I had something like that, I'll just rip all of it out (fancy electronics/mcu etc), and salvage what I can, like the outlets, relays etc and note down what voltage the relay requires and reuse the connectors to control them directly.
These things will probably start popping up everywhere for sale in the near future. there are thousands of them out there and apparently the head unit is what dies first .

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a few cycles to start validating the "pico" original board I had made up almost 6+ months ago. Welp, how time flies with projects. It doesn't even use the new fancy logo :)

There are a few changes already required out of the box:

- The load switch fail-safe turned off the load switch. Instead of on. So its hard to power up the board without any power controller firmware. I simply bypassed it.
- Now I'm debugging the I2C bus which is held low by something. Going to hunt the various controllers on the board to see what is messed up, since a number of devices are attached to the bus (microcontroller, repeater, the isolator for the I2C circuit). This means the hardware RTC doesn't work right now.

Going to work on the other inputs and outputs next!
board-proto1.jpg
Whoa, glad to see you back in action with the pico board.
We are also now recommending using the american dj SR - P8 power strip, which uses 12V relays with DB9 connector. (Common 12V+ve, and 8 pins that connect to ULN2803, as sink current(

Nicolas Sabrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are up for it, do it. I am not an expert, but happy to advice as and when needed
I don't mind opening things up. I am not an expert either and I don't know anything about electronic or programming. I am just trying to salvage what I have.

I also want to be able to expand the system instead of being stucks with discontinued items.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa, glad to see you back in action with the pico board.
We are also now recommending using the american dj SR - P8 power strip, which uses 12V relays with DB9 connector. (Common 12V+ve, and 8 pins that connect to ULN2803, as sink current(

On my list of changes! I’ll validate the basic flows and more complex bits before swapping this out.

Nicolas Sabrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who are following the thread, I have updated read me with with bill of material of a reef-pi build, specifically targeted for pico reef tanks, the ones I put on display for the maker faire.

Now that I have the BoM, housing concrete, I'll write down an assembly guide tonight.
Meanwhile, on the software side, I am in process of merging the adafruit.io integration, i.e reef-pi will be able to send data (temperature, ph etc) to adafruit.io, where you can build graph. I have a rough draft of PID controller also, hopefully we'll be able to use it to build temperature controller (heater failure is one of the most common reason for tank failure), all of these will go in the next pre-release,

I just started reading thru your great thread and not sure if there is another link for the "bill of material". The one above does not work.

Would you have a link to your build guide?

Thank you

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind opening things up. I am not an expert either and I don't know anything about electronic or programming. I am just trying to salvage what I have.

I also want to be able to expand the system instead of being stucks with discontinued items.
I don't think opening it up will help much, but I'd be interested in pictures if you do. What we really need to know is the protocol. Once I fully move my heaters off the RKL, I plan to hook up a logic analyzer to mine.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started reading thru your great thread and not sure if there is another link for the "bill of material". The one above does not work.

Would you have a link to your build guide?

Thank you
The information is scattered in a number of places and I don't think I found one that had all the info in 1 place. Every build is unique to the builder with regards to the needs of the specific tank setup. Adafruit.com I think is where a good portion of the latest info is. Try https://learn.adafruit.com/reef-pi-installation-and-configuration and look through all the tabs to the left of the page.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,

I did some digging and talking to some folks in the know, and I was TOTALLY wrong about he WP versions at least of the Jeboa wavemakers. They are not pwm. They use 0-5V analog signal. so I am not sure that the PCA9685 will work for this exact application.
I did find this digging around. Think it may work instead?
https://shop.controleverything.com/products/ad5669-16-bit-8-channel-digital-to-analog-converter
This isn't a big deal. You can use a simple RC integrator circuit to turn the pwm into analog (aka low pass filter). Put a resistor on the output with a capacitor to ground. I used this technique to control Mars Aqua lights. I can help with specific values this evening.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I've got a couple comments/questions

1. I'm definitely interested to see what hardware you can salvage from the Digital Aquatics kits that are now obsolete and unsupported

2. Have you done any investigations/studies on the limitations of the various pi models? I'm interested to give this a shot with the Pi Zero W instead of buying a Pi 3 kit strictly because of cost. I just want to make sure I'm not losing any functionality or limiting myself somehow by doing so.

Cheers on an awesome build and project! And your write ups on adafruit are fantastic and easy to follow.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't a big deal. You can use a simple RC integrator circuit to turn the pwm into analog (aka low pass filter). Put a resistor on the output with a capacitor to ground. I used this technique to control Mars Aqua lights. I can help with specific values this evening.
Thanks Michael. I am looking in to see how finicky these pumps are. I heard that it may not matter at all. I need to get the board installed and see if I can make the light program operate a spare unit I have.

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,

I did some digging and talking to some folks in the know, and I was TOTALLY wrong about he WP versions at least of the Jeboa wavemakers. They are not pwm. They use 0-5V analog signal. so I am not sure that the PCA9685 will work for this exact application.
I did find this digging around. Think it may work instead?
https://shop.controleverything.com/products/ad5669-16-bit-8-channel-digital-to-analog-converter

From what I've read, the pump itself is analog and the controller is pwm, so it all depends on where you are adding the reef-pi connection.

I actually did a quick test of the PWM connection last night. I wired a 3.5 audio jack into the input for the Jabao controller (it comes with a dc jack in that spot so I just bypassed that to connect to the board), and changed the mode to "C" which is supposed to be controller mode. From there I just plugged in my Kessil input wire and played around with the lighting controls a bit. It did work, though I wasn't sure which channel was for what so I was essentially putting in numbers at random. I couldn't get a feeling for speed changes without taking the pump out of the tank, so I'm not sure if the controller was working to that degree either. What I did find was that a "0" setting on both channels turned it off, and 1-50 on both turned it on. A 0/50 made it kind of twitch a bit but not move, which I assume is some kind of conflict. I didn't want to go higher than 50 because I've read about the 5V signal max.

I also came to the same conclusion as @pickupman66 - writing the script to control it will be the challenge. @Ranjib you linked to the feed button example, which looks like a good place to start. I see it's a python script - would it get added into reef-pi as a macro? Is there a config for "if [this] --> run [script]"?

Nicolas Sabrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would you mind sharing info?(wiring, parts needed...) How did you do to control your Mars Aqua?

I got 3 165w mars aqua that i would like to control again ( lost all automation since my RKE gave up)

I looked on here but the lighting control are for Kessil. The Mars Aqua use a 0-10v analog signal I believe. How did you get the pwm from Pi to VDM?

I could use all the help i can get. I am a dummie when it comes to electronic.

Nicolas Sabrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Michael. I am looking in to see how finicky these pumps are. I heard that it may not matter at all. I need to get the board installed and see if I can make the light program operate a spare unit I have.
Following along. I have 2 Jebao PP 8 that i would love to control from Pi.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back