reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of questions,

Which pi do I need to run the following;
1) chiller and heater (2 no. Ds18b20)
2) 8 power outlets including the chiller and heater
3) 4 no. Dosing pumps

Running headless via a smartphone.
A pi zero W would easily run those items and more as many here will attest. Don't really need the power or USB ports of the 3b or 3b+ for any functionality but those give you a wired ethernet port. Main thing is the gpio (input/output) pins, all the latest pi's have 40 pins, while the earlier ones had 26, more pins, more things can be hooked up. There are a number of boards being designed specifically for the reef-pi, search around R2R for reef-pi if a pre-made board fits your needs or you wish to build your own with a proto board.

Last edited:

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, I figured I would share my CPU usage and current status. My reef-pi is still running next to my tank in simulation mode. I configured all the lights, dosers, and timers exactly how I would configure them if it was running my tank. The lights are connected to small LED's so I can watch them come on and off and the dosers are connected to 12 volt computer fans. As of now I get no interference with the lights when the fans kick on to simulate dosing. I have the following on my pi

2 dosers, one runs 4 times a day the other runs 5 times a day
Dual ATO with float switches (The timer is set to 30 second check intervals but I dont really have a way to simulate it)
dual temp probes set to 30 second check intervals
8 110 volt relays that have 3 timers. One timer flip flops pumps on the hour and the other is my sump light.
2 relays to switch 12 volts to turn lights on and off. These relays have 2 on timers and 2 off timers.
3 PWM light channels Blue, White, and Sunrise/Sunset

I am running this off a pi 3B+

44551806690_bc619b5ac7_h.jpg

Ignore the beginning of the light cycle yesterday. I was adjusting values. The moon/sunrise light is going to be 10 20mA 450nm standard hobby LED's. I did the math and they are .6 watts with all 10 lit at 100% I will most likely be running them much lower.
46317684462_e6bfb8d6cc_z.jpg

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im getting a pi zero w to start my build, but the new pi 3 A+ is looking sweet as a reef pi candidate with the 5ghz wifi and the same processor as the B+, but still having a slim form factor.

If someone sees one in stock let me know :)

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have people been using to coat the “stainless” “steel” DS18B20 probes? Silicone? PlastiDip?

I was going to give some acrylic conformal coating a shot to see how it holds up (plus super easy to deal with a quick dip) but unsure it’s going to hold up.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have people been using to coat the “stainless” “steel” DS18B20 probes? Silicone? PlastiDip?

I was going to give some acrylic conformal coating a shot to see how it holds up (plus super easy to deal with a quick dip) but unsure it’s going to hold up.

I just built my sump baffles a few weeks ago and have silicone left, so a very light coating of silicone is how I am going to coat mine. As long as whatever you use can completely seal off the stainless, is reasonably durable and is aquarium safe, I think it will be fine.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had used silicone on a previous one. I thought it had worked OK, until a tiny spot rusted through and it shorted out my GFCI. I am now using the epoxy/plastic coated one.
Though I was still strongly considering epoxy coating one of the stainless ones.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had used silicone on a previous one. I thought it had worked OK, until a tiny spot rusted through and it shorted out my GFCI. I am now using the epoxy/plastic coated one.
Though I was still strongly considering epoxy coating one of the stainless ones.
What epoxy are you using?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

money88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the same one that @Ranjib has been using successfully for a few years now and recommends. I realize one can pick up the other sensors on eBay for like $2 each. However, why create more work and worry about something when it's not necessary?
exactly, I tried the others first rusted out in no time. At that point I decided for $11 it was worth it

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most just dip in silicone, I coated mine in fast setting epoxy glue, silicone is probably better only the curing time sucks.

The sparkfun one looks sweet, but if running multiple sensors it can get a little pricey.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my tank is getting up top 15ml a day of 2 part. So time to add some dosing pumps.. This weekends project!

Dropping in for the reads and to say hello
What pumps are you using? I think the Kamoer pumps for dairy that theatrus linked earlier are pretty dang nice.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back