reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are we with reef-pi versions? Should I update to 2.1?
wait I'll cut 2.2 over the weekend, install that. It will have the ato auto-locking feature

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone recommend a page to start reading at or do I need to read all 466 pages of this thread.
welcome to reef2reef. Read the very first post of this thread, that has all the details you need to build a controller (if thats what you are looking for). The adafruit guides are in particular helpful. This thread is the discuss the ongoing development and any out of band help

MouseMouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to reef2reef. Read the very first post of this thread, that has all the details you need to build a controller (if thats what you are looking for). The adafruit guides are in particular helpful. This thread is the discuss the ongoing development and any out of band help
I started with the first 10 so I'm off to a good start.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone recommend a page to start reading at or do I need to read all 466 pages of this thread.

Welcome aboard!
There are also various builds by other members that may be very helpful to read. Plus, they're not 466 pages!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the first 10 so I'm off to a good start.
awesome. The thread is more like a history book, and likely to contain information that are old and invalid for current reef-pi versions/state of affairs.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard!
There are also various builds by other members that may be very helpful to read. Plus, they're not 466 pages!
+100 :) . thank you for calling that out. I think I'll post a set of build thread links at the very first page in this thread, along with the guides.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet. But this is a feature that @Zekth wanted as well, we are tracking this , so probably part of 3.0, but I’m not sure
This is going to be awesome. I can't wait to add notes in digital place I can position them in time with all of the other data!

I am going to hire a programmer to write some code to import Reef Kinetics Reefbot data into the same as well so I can see it all in the same place. It will be a hopefully helpful addition to the project. Unless someone knows where I can hire a developer to design and build a reefbot like device with off the shelf parts...

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be awesome. I can't wait to add notes in digital place I can position them in time with all of the other data!

I am going to hire a programmer to write some code to import Reef Kinetics Reefbot data into the same as well so I can see it all in the same place. It will be a hopefully helpful addition to the project. Unless someone knows where I can hire a developer to design and build a reefbot like device with off the shelf parts...
What’s reefbot ? Can you share the key features you would like to see ? Some of the manual data logging features can be easily done by simple google spreadsheet like apps

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed this ramp up and drop of cpu resources? It's an interesting rhythm that I can't quite tie into any one action. I'm using the full size pi3B.

cpu usage.JPG
This is normal, those bumps can be anything from system tasks (Linux or raspbian specific) , reef-pi doing things (since most things are done in some intervals ) or just you hitting the dashboard ( which makes reef-pi doing some more work, to stream data back and forth )

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is normal, those bumps can be anything from system tasks (Linux or raspbian specific) , reef-pi doing things (since most things are done in some intervals ) or just you hitting the dashboard ( which makes reef-pi doing some more work, to stream data back and forth )

Also, turning off the rasbian GUI and running headless reduces that significantly.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cool. Thanks!

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing with the 2.0 temperature controller for past few days. Here is my pico tank;'s temperature chart, where the temperature controller is set at with larger threshold than than the heater. As a result, heater's internal thermostat is switching hetar on/off while the equipment is always on from reef-pi side, temperature controller is acting as failsafe only, in case things go south then will switch off heater and send alert.
Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 12.23.13 PM.png

The nano tank is setup in opposite way. With heater itself configured at bit higher setting (80) and reef-pi configured at 79.5, with 30 seconds interval. I am playing with 79.4. 79.3 after few hours to see the effect. Notice heater/cooler graph is now showing heater usage (as it is being turned on/off by reef-pi itself)
Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 12.23.27 PM.png

my realizations was pretty exciting. reef-pi switching on/off heater almost half the time when run at 60s interval. I get much finer control but it comes at a cost of switching heater on/off more frequently.
I am thinking of adding support for hysteresis and setpoints. Though this whole scheme work for heater, its not useful for chillers (and do they come without thermostat ?? ). I wanted to share this, as it will be really interesting to see how these graphs look after i implement hysteresis /setpoint based logic

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back