reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and this project. I haven't been able to go through all of the history yet. Is there anyone who has done a water changing system on the reef-pi? Is there any plans to implement other sensors? for example ORP, salinity, or dissolved Oxygen. etc.

I had been implementing a hydroponics solution using a pi and I could see how I might be able to borrow from that hardware to do something similar with this reef-pi setup.
I personally want support for humidity sensor. The ph board can also be configured to work with orp sensor. I dont know what and how I'll use EC/Salinity or ORP sensors in particular hence never bothered with these. Which mean I am unlikely to do the legwork :). but if someone else wants to do this, I am more than welcome to shepherd/incorporate those features.
The timer and macro features are pretty powerful already. I know another thread here was attempting to do some auto feeding with reef-pi (dosing pump). In 3.0 we'll make these two features even more powerful. I am still worried about the learning curve involved in effectively using these. I am thinking of similar to 1.0 guides , 2.0 guides should cover some workflow automation, like water changes, auto feeding, photoshoots, titrations etc. Its lot of work though :-/ .. documentations

Top Shelf Aquatics

Bigtrout

View Badges
Reaction score
I agree with expanding documentation, its hard sifting thru a big thread sometimes to find answers. Everyone has their talents, and I thank all those that are good at coding and those that have designed and built the various hats and boards, they are a definite help to get a working reef pi to someone who builds for the first time.

The whole reef pi community is very helpful when someone has a problem, and I try to help when I can. My specialty is on the hardware end and troubleshooting, which is what I try to help others with.

It may help in the documentation end of things to expand the guides for some of the common equipment that is used instead of going strictly by the guides. For example, those that dont or cant source the ADJ power bar, and use an 8 channel relay. I would be willing to help in that respect. Since alot of work was put into designing hats for reef pi, perhaps a guide comparing the various hats and what features each one allows would help people decide how to proceed best for their individual reef/turtle/frog/planted aquarium.

Last edited:

Zekth

View Badges
Reaction score
We've not spent so much time on documentation unfortunately. @Ranjib has done a good job on the adafruit one but most of the answer are lost in many threads.
One of my goal for the future is to have a proper Development / use documentation for Reef pi.

Top Shelf Aquatics

KevinDodge

View Badges
Reaction score
I am new to this board as well and have not been able to read through all 400 pages.

You talk of a V3 of reef-pi. Is this already in progress? Is it a major redesign or just minor revisions? Is there information somewhere on what the V3 design will be like? I would love to help. I have half written multiple versions of a reef-pi controller myself only to lose interest. I would much rather contribute to an active community :)

Zekth

View Badges
Reaction score
At the moment v3 is more than an enhancement of the current project. You can see here some features:
https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/projects
Multilingual will be a feature i'll implement, i've made the Proof Of Concept but have to finish the implementation.
Also with @Michael Lane we've talked about some programming features we wanted to put in it.

The question to have an mobile app too is still a concern, i have some ideas to not be tied to cloud implementation. Have to discuss with the team.

If you have some ideas about features and so on, feel free to create an issue on the project: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/issues

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib I am not sure if you are tracking this or not. But when creating a second dashboard for the same dosing pump different rule it shows the first date it runs then adds to the time each additional day. So if you set it to run for 2 seconds once a day on the first day it shows 2 seconds, the next day the dashboard updates the previous day with 2 more seconds, and it continues to count up not changing the actual date.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib I am not sure if you are tracking this or not. But when creating a second dashboard for the same dosing pump different rule it shows the first date it runs then adds to the time each additional day. So if you set it to run for 2 seconds once a day on the first day it shows 2 seconds, the next day the dashboard updates the previous day with 2 more seconds, and it continues to count up not changing the actual date.

I’m aware of this. It shows hourly rollup instead of daily. This was intended, and clearly a bad choice. I am fixing this, in future versions reef-pi will show only daily rollup

Corals.com

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I’m a actually referring to the second dosing pump rule that says feb 08 on the bottom. It ran at 7:05 on the 8th for the first time. Then ran again at 7:05 on the 9th, 10th, etc. like it’s supposed to. the date always stays the same but the time counts up. Tomorrow at 7:05 the pump will run, the date will stay the same (feb8th), but the roll up will change to 25.

I’m not sure why it does this because the dashboard on top is the same pump just a different timer and it reports the hourly

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I’m a actually referring to the second dosing pump rule that says feb 08 on the bottom. It ran at 7:05 on the 8th for the first time. Then ran again at 7:05 on the 9th, 10th, etc. like it’s supposed to. the date always stays the same but the time counts up. Tomorrow at 7:05 the pump will run, the date will stay the same (feb8th), but the roll up will change to 25.

I’m not sure why it does this because the dashboard on top is the same pump just a different timer and it reports the hourly
Ok. So, its the time label (17:05), that you expect to be different. The rollup logic is implemented in a way that the timestamp for very first entry in an hour will be used to denote the rollup stats for that entire hour.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@b4n patching reef-pi as we chat, to change doser chart to show daily dosing times. Also fixing temperature chart showing 4 decimal precision instead of two.

https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/pull/732

@pickupman66 changed reef-pi to store stats every hour/day during rollup. In case a hard reboot occurs, everything except current hours stats will be retained. I'll run some field testing soon.

KevinDodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Help me understand the current design of Dosing Pumps? Currently it is controlled via a single PWM pin, and following the guide you have to sort of "hack" in the forward/reverse pins to get the example in the guide working correctly. Under the current setup I can only do 2 dosing pumps using the pi pins. If I need more then I will have to duplicate what is shown in the lighting setup, which seems like a lot of work.

Is there some inherent advantages to using PWM for dosing pumps? Is there a reason why the forward / reverse equipment objects were not incorporated directly into dosing pump object? Would I be overstepping my bounds to suggest some redesign for dosing pumps?

I currently have plans to use 5-6 pumps for metered dosing (Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, Auto Water Changes, Autofeeder of liquid food) and wish there was an easier way. I could potentially use equipment and timer together to get this functionality, but in doing so I lose the functionality I want from dosing pumps (such as calibration and reporting). In addition I found a bug in "timer"/"equipment" where if the pi dies during a timed run of equipment then when the pi reboots that equipment is enabled at start up and runs for a significant period of time before being turned off.

Hopefully my comments are seen as constructive and not criticism. I really appreciate what has been done so far.

Tom Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
With all the re-install/repairs done on raspian that @Tom Bishop had you do, you probably have to go in to raspi-config and enable i2c again
Yeah I mentioned that last night but we had lots going on so I think it just got overlooked. I plan to write up a short backup and recovery doc that should help with this in the future.

Get Fish & Corals directly for the suppliers

Is your Build Thread Badge missing? Uh oh!

• Yes it's gone

Votes: 86 27.6%
  • Nope, I'm quick

Votes: 93 29.8%
  • Uh I don't understand. (you better click and read)

Votes: 61 19.6%
  • Never had one...until now!

Votes: 72 23.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Reef-A-Palooza Chicago 2019
Budman's Corals LLC