reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, I can get a single relay module rated at 30 amps also states 1 hp, I'll order it today and should reach by Monday, just when I thought my fiddling had finished!
Yeah, chillers are of a special case, but as an industrial control tech, I would rather see you do it safely and properly.

Maybe I should do a writeup about what the recommended adj bar and 8 channel relays can and cannot be used for

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, chillers are of a special case, but as an industrial control tech, I would rather see you do it safely and properly.

Maybe I should do a writeup about what the recommended adj bar and 8 channel relays can and cannot be used for
Yes please :) . Happy to put it in website , and any other recommendations if it’s consolidate

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have this relay from my old temperature controller. It's especially for ac's, thinking I could use this, it requires 12vdc to energise the coil, not sure if I could use the pi output as the trigger, I probably wouldn't want to as there's no protection, however I could just trigger it from the existing relay once I figure how to wire it up.
IMG_20190306_180458.jpg
Screenshot_2019-03-06-18-00-13-855_com.google.android.apps.docs.png
Screenshot_2019-03-06-18-00-05-421_com.google.android.apps.docs.png

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this relay from my old temperature controller. It's especially for ac's, thinking I could use this, it requires 12vdc to energise the coil, not sure if I could use the pi output as the trigger, I probably wouldn't want to as there's no protection, however I could just trigger it from the existing relay once I figure how to wire it up.
IMG_20190306_180458.jpg
Screenshot_2019-03-06-18-00-13-855_com.google.android.apps.docs.png
Screenshot_2019-03-06-18-00-05-421_com.google.android.apps.docs.png
Thats a much better relay for switching a chiller, it has motor rated contacts.
I would isolate the pi...use the pi to trgger your relay board...run the 12volts dc thru the relay board relay contacts...pi triggers the small relay...the small relay triggers your chiller relay.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a much better relay for switching a chiller, it has motor rated contacts.
I would isolate the pi...use the pi to trgger your relay board...run the 12volts dc thru the relay board relay contacts...pi triggers the small relay...the small relay triggers your chiller relay.
Uln2803a should also work ,

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok done, expected job time 25 minutes, actual 90 minutes, that was actually quite painful lying on the floor with crappy eyes, I could and should have just removed the relay box and worked on a table, that would have been so much easier. I really don't know how People manage with sumps under their tanks!

Anyway I switched everything back on and the chiller didn't come on, I toggled the switch under equipment a few times, then bingo it came on, I do have the temperature control to check at 50 second intervals, not sure if that's the reason for the delay or not. I'll be out on a job site in the morning, so won't be able to tell until the afternoon, it's night time now and ambient temperature is 23°c, may drop to 21°c as my tank is out doors I doubt the chiller would kick on tonight.

Fingers crossed...

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally replaced the splitter that my temperature probes were hanging off of, but the results are the same. Errors when I open the web interface, followed by the probes totally dropping out of the configuration. If I reboot, they come back for a minute or two before dropping out again. I'll try to just go with one and see what happens.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally replaced the splitter that my temperature probes were hanging off of, but the results are the same. Errors when I open the web interface, followed by the probes totally dropping out of the configuration. If I reboot, they come back for a minute or two before dropping out again. I'll try to just go with one and see what happens.

Same result with only one probe running. Something is wrong here. Has anyone run into this? Do I need to rebuild my reef-pi?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same result with only one probe running. Something is wrong here. Has anyone run into this? Do I need to rebuild my reef-pi?
we have seen this only with builds having bad probes or wirings/connector issues.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check you've wired it correctly and have good contacts, seems like the pull up resistor is either in the wrong place or value, I had this issue myself with an Arduino build and the resistor had a poor connection, resoldered it and working the same probe is on my pi now.

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I've been playing around with the reef-pi and downloaded the source from Github and just started looking through it. I've got a go module written up to talk to TP-Link Smart Powerstrips (well, any of the TP-Link/Kasa plugs) via TCP and was wondering where I should look in the code to wire it up as a power device so the reef-pi can access it? The TP-Link devices also provide power usage data so getting that hooked up as something to track in stats would be awesome as well.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I've been playing around with the reef-pi and downloaded the source from Github and just started looking through it. I've got a go module written up to talk to TP-Link Smart Powerstrips (well, any of the TP-Link/Kasa plugs) via TCP and was wondering where I should look in the code to wire it up as a power device so the reef-pi can access it? The TP-Link devices also provide power usage data so getting that hooked up as something to track in stats would be awesome as well.
:) Thats awesome.
you can implement a TP-Link Smart PowerStrip driver that implements hal.OutputDriver and hal.AnalogIn, the first one can be used to control the outlets, and the second one can be used to read the usage data.. join the slack channel (link on the very first post of this thread, or in the website) and we can touch base there. most of the development chatter happens there.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef :)

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check you've wired it correctly and have good contacts, seems like the pull up resistor is either in the wrong place or value, I had this issue myself with an Arduino build and the resistor had a poor connection, resoldered it and working the same probe is on my pi now.
I'm using the pico board from @theatrus so there isn't much I can do with that.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is it up before the probe drops out?
A couple of minutes. Not long at all. I'm seeing some interesting behavior across the entire system, actually. I think I should reload the reef-pi software and rebuild it. Something could have gotten messed up during one of the unscheduled power downs.

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I need to learn how to remove the application so i can do a clean install. The alternative is a complete OS wipe and rebuild.

Code:
sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db
sudo systemctl start reef-pi.service

That resets the database. Start with that before you uninstall/reinstall.

Code:
sudo dpkg --remove reef-pi-1.0-pi0.deb

(replace the '1.0' and 'pi0' with whatever you used) This will remove it completely.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back