reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few things done on the 3.0 side.. ezo ph driver was ported to new HAL . And now I am running 3.0 development build on one of my ph monitor. Everything looks good, I am yet to test the ezo calibration bits on 3.0. But I wanted the ezo support to be there in 3.0 so that I can start comparing the ph board with ezo circuit side by side.
Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 9.43.12 PM.png

Unfortunately, due to 2.1 -> 3.o upgrade, I lost the usage data. But Adafruit.io was configured :)
Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 9.43.03 PM.png

During the process I also found a telemetry update API bug :-O , dont know how it went and who all have been impacted, I hope this was not part of 2.x series and it was only present in 3.0 development branch.. anyway.. its fixed now.

Telemetry bugfix: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/pull/762
EZO hal porting: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/pull/761

I'll start putting regular development update from now on. I feel like we have a decent community now, and there are enough folks who understand some parts of reef-pi, so if anyone curious how the code works, these changes with the context of whats being done might be useful. Software engineers could always use an extra pair of eyes for review :)

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just noticed a strange aberation......

We are experiencing "rolling blackouts" here, and power goes out for 2 hours at a time once or twice a day - depending on your schedule.

I have a timer set up in Reef-Pi that adds Kalkwasser every hour (and my ATO does the rest). The timer is set to run on every "01" minute. Our rolling blackouts seem to start and stop pretty near exactly on the hour. I've noticed a couple of times that when the Reef-Pi starts up, the timer seems to be running, but does not turn off as it is supposed to. I can go in manually and turn the equipment off.

As a work-around, I have now set the timer to run on the "30" minute.

But it would seem that if the Reef-Pi loses power during a timed operation, it does not remember to reset the equipment status to orignal when power is restored.

I am also going to install a small UPS for my Reef-Pi to keep the Pi alive for a few hours in the event of a power outage. Not the equipment, just the Pi. Should also help with this issue.

An update to this issue. I was not focusing last night and was running my "Feed" macro when the power went off. I now have that macro constantly showing the "running" state and I'm not sure how to solve that short of deleting the macro. I guess this is sort of like trying to cancel a macro while running. I have managed to turn the equipment / systems back on that the macro turns off to feed by manually changing the state of the equipment and enabling the sensors.

Is it possible to create a "cancel" or "reset" button for each macro?

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update to this issue. I was not focusing last night and was running my "Feed" macro when the power went off. I now have that macro constantly showing the "running" state and I'm not sure how to solve that short of deleting the macro. I guess this is sort of like trying to cancel a macro while running. I have managed to turn the equipment / systems back on that the macro turns off to feed by manually changing the state of the equipment and enabling the sensors.

Hit the edit button, then don’t make any changes and hit the save button.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is not supported yet, but on our roadmap

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on this side project. My first layout for n scale railroad. Total newbie in this. It’s based on a 2x4 plywood, it will have a reef tank , a terrarium and a railroad. The tank will have a tunnel beneath , railroad go through it. The whole thing should be controlled by multiple reef-pi. And the layout it’s also modular , broken into 4 equal parts for easy transportation.
Here is the rough idea
A6E9AC66-F158-41AD-9020-93233C31660D.jpeg

It’s a 5.5g pico tank.
09AC7B06-AC69-42E3-912E-E53EF2F6A5BA.jpeg

Started working on the tank part of the layout , just finished plastering the rocks
1E1C7618-17D0-4681-B9B2-7693E51B2886.jpeg

2BB977CB-FAFF-47A9-AF2A-E589483D95B7.jpeg

62200A69-C643-4E0D-B3C8-3A8478429618.jpeg

Excited about this. It will keep my son busy while give me another way to test the manager functionality . And I always wanted to do some more railroad layout ;-)
Will keep you all posted. With the terrarium in, I have more reasons to add support for the humidity sensor (and Hal work has made it relatively easy )

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on this side project. My first layout for n scale railroad. Total newbie in this. It’s based on a 2x4 plywood, it will have a reef tank , a terrarium and a railroad. The tank will have a tunnel beneath , railroad go through it. The whole thing should be controlled by multiple reef-pi. And the layout it’s also modular , broken into 4 equal parts for easy transportation.
Here is the rough idea

It’s a 5.5g pico tank.

Started working on the tank part of the layout , just finished plastering the rocks

Excited about this. It will keep my son busy while give me another way to test the manager functionality . And I always wanted to do some more railroad layout ;-)
Will keep you all posted. With the terrarium in, I have more reasons to add support for the humidity sensor (and Hal work has made it relatively easy )

wooo woooo!!!! :)

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the rough idea

It’s a 5.5g pico tank.

That brings back memories of my Dad building his Xmas platform...made it different every year...it was a large O guage Lionel. He framed mountains from thin wood strips, covered them with "mountain paper" which was like paper mache. The streetlights turned on...the roads made from chicken grit had working traffic signals.
At the heart of this was this giant controller with the train transformer and 40 toggle switches to turn everything on and off....lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That brings back memories of my Dad building his Xmas platform...made it different every year...it was a large O guage Lionel. He framed mountains from thin wood strips, covered them with "mountain paper" which was like paper mache. The streetlights turned on...the roads made from chicken grit had working traffic signals.
At the heart of this was this giant controller with the train transformer and 40 toggle switches to turn everything on and off....lol
Wow :) , oldschool.
My plan is similar I am looking forward to control numerous outlets and cross pi macro .. should be a good testing platform for the clustering work.
I really like the arts part of it

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I am kinda stumped on this one. I am trying to get PH working. I have wired up an EZO with Isolation carrier board per wiring diagram. When I power up the system, I notice the LED keeps flashing on the EZO board. When I go to calibrate I get these errors:

Failed to update. Error: write /dev/i2c-1: remote I/O error

Has anyone run into this?

@Ranjib

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I am kinda stumped on this one. I am trying to get PH working. I have wired up an EZO with Isolation carrier board per wiring diagram. When I power up the system, I notice the LED keeps flashing on the EZO board. When I go to calibrate I get these errors:

Failed to update. Error: write /dev/i2c-1: remote I/O error

Has anyone run into this?

@Ranjib
Maybe a wiring error, also do you have i2c enabled on the raspberry pi?

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a wiring error, also do you have i2c enabled on the raspberry pi?

I2c is enabled , have doubled checked the wiring which is pretty basic and it appears correct . Reading the docs on the EZO maybe it needs a reset. I was hoping someone ran into this and has the answer.

jhoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When powered on the LED on EZ board should be solid blue then flash green every 60 seconds or so. If it is flashing green all the time it is in wrong mode. There is a " U art mode " and IC2 mode. U art is default. Must be in IC2 mode. Factory sheet uploaded.

Attachments

• PH Atlas Scientific.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 293
  • PH Atlas Scientific.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 267

smittysreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to try this! I'd have to learn Python, but I've had 3.5 out of 4 years in Network Management which included some Linux, programming, and a host of other useful courses. Shouldn't be too difficult. Besides, an Apex right now is way out of my reach. I've already downloaded Rasbian on a VM and the source code and stuff from Github to see what's up. I'll have to get an actual Pi and have a go at it. This thread rules!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I2c is enabled , have doubled checked the wiring which is pretty basic and it appears correct . Reading the docs on the EZO maybe it needs a reset. I was hoping someone ran into this and has the answer.
Ezo circuit ships in uart mode, you have to follow their docs to at least configure it to work in i2c mode, after that reef-pi can take over.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to try this! I'd have to learn Python, but I've had 3.5 out of 4 years in Network Management which included some Linux, programming, and a host of other useful courses. Shouldn't be too difficult. Besides, an Apex right now is way out of my reach. I've already downloaded Rasbian on a VM and the source code and stuff from Github to see what's up. I'll have to get an actual Pi and have a go at it. This thread rules!
Welcome to reef2reef, most development specific chatting happens on the slack channel (link on the first post). reef-pi is written in go and react . Let us know if you need any help getting started. You don’t need raspbian or even , Linux to develop it, I develop it on MacBook, I know folks who uses windows , and I am pretty confident it works on Linux (since raspbian is Linux ).

jhoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, @jhoop and @Ranjib that did the trick. I remember reading thru the datasheet at one time and was wondering if I needed to do that manual step (short the prbgnd to tx) but since it wasn't mentioned in the build guide I figured maybe it wasn't needed. It's up and running now.
I guess we are neighbors ! I live in Hinckley Ohio !

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back