reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib, I'm having a hard time to get the macros to work, I basically would like to have one to shut off the chiller and all pumps for 10 minutes for feeding and another for the same equipment for 30 minutes for maintenance.

Is there a bug? Or am I just doing it all wrong?

Here is my screenshot for my 5min feeding break, turns of my filter-

Screenshot at 2019-03-13 19-21-45.png

Yours probably looks similar but thought I would post.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my screenshot for my 5min feeding break, turns of my filter-

Screenshot at 2019-03-13 19-21-45.png

Yours probably looks similar but thought I would post.

Thanks got mine working, I had to add the temperature probe that controls the chiller, which is set to check every 90 seconds, works great I'll add another for maintenance maybe 20 minutes.

IMG_20190314_174630.jpg

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a reef pi dosing pump and I'm wondering if I can run a pi3 b+ without altering any steps, mainly concerning the power and using the lm2596 converter.

Fernando Juarez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, greetings from Guatemala. After looking for ideas to build a controller for aquariums, since I spend all week outside my house and only return on weekends, I needed a way to keep my reef controlled and monitored. Reef-pi is excellent. Congratulations to all those involved in the development, especially the creator Ranjib.

I have two questions:

1. Monitoring by IO does not work for me Adafruit gives me this error:

Mar 15 11:39:21
{"error":"request failed - failed to save data to feed acuarioato-ato-reading. undefined method `\u003e' for nil:NilClass"}
Mar 15 11:39:19
{"error":"request failed - failed to save data to feed acuarioato-ato-usage. undefined method `\u003e' for nil:NilClass"}
Mar 15 11:39:20
{"error":"not found - that is an invalid URL, please check the API documentation at https://io.adafruit.com/api/docs to make sure your URL is correct"}
Mar 15 11:39:23
{"error":"not found - that is an invalid URL, please check the API documentation at https://io.adafruit.com/api/docs to make sure your URL is correct"}
{"error":"not found - API documentation can be found at https://io.adafruit.com/api/docs"}
{"error":"not found - API documentation can be found at https://io.adafruit.com/api/docs"}
upload_2019-3-15_11-42-22.png

2. How could we modify the croon to create simulation of tides with the web maker, since the minimum that can be set is one minute, we would need for example:

WAVE MAKER # 1 ON 5 sec
WAVE MAKER # 2 OFF 5 sec
next step
WAVE MAKER # 1 OFF 5 sec
WAVE MAKER # 2 ON 5 sec
and start the cycle again
This would be for a type of tide, could function as the controller of hydor

Thank you for taking the time to read my message, success to all!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, greetings from Guatemala. After looking for ideas to build a controller for aquariums, since I spend all week outside my house and only return on weekends, I needed a way to keep my reef controlled and monitored. Reef-pi is excellent. Congratulations to all those involved in the development, especially the creator Ranjib.

I have two questions:

1. Monitoring by IO does not work for me Adafruit gives me this error:

{"error":"request failed - failed to save data to feed acuarioato-ato-reading. undefined method `\u003e' for nil:NilClass"}
Mar 15 11:39:19
{"error":"request failed - failed to save data to feed acuarioato-ato-usage. undefined method `\u003e' for nil:NilClass"}
Mar 15 11:39:20
upload_2019-3-15_11-42-22.png

2. How could we modify the croon to create simulation of tides with the web maker, since the minimum that can be set is one minute, we would need for example:

WAVE MAKER # 1 ON 5 sec
WAVE MAKER # 2 OFF 5 sec
next step
WAVE MAKER # 1 OFF 5 sec
WAVE MAKER # 2 ON 5 sec
and start the cycle again
This would be for a type of tide, could function as the controller of hydor

Thank you for taking the time to read my message, success to all!

Welcome to reef2reef.
Can you tell us little bit about your setup? Share a screenshot of your adafruit feed. I think you have space or some special character in your equipment name or sensor names thats causing the adafruit issue.
The timer thing for wave maker should be fairly straight forward. Setup one timer for each of the wavemekaer, set the seconds fields 5 seconds apart for each of them, here is an example
Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 4.04.35 PM.png

rhospider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm running through the tutorial and am not able to get the testjack lighting control to work. I have updated the config file with the 2 channel line and believe I have set up the overall config correctly. However, when I try to add a test jack I get the following message:
{"error":"Failed to create. Error: write /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0/pwm0/period: invalid argument"} | HTTP 500
This seems to be a server side error.

Could anyone assist?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm running through the tutorial and am not able to get the testjack lighting control to work. I have updated the config file with the 2 channel line and believe I have set up the overall config correctly. However, when I try to add a test jack I get the following message:
{"error":"Failed to create. Error: write /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0/pwm0/period: invalid argument"} | HTTP 500

Could anyone assist?
Have you enabled the pwm module in /boot/config.txt ? You have to reboot pi after that

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could anyone assist?
Welcome to reef2reef :)

rhospider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjib. Thanks for the reply and for developing this software. I appreciate it.

My config.txt file finishes with this:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
dtoverlay=w1-gpio
dtoverlay=pwm-2chan

I am using Pi zero with reef v2.3. Linux kernel is 4.14.

Last edited:

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjib. Thanks for the reply and for developing this software. I appreciate it.

My config.txt file finishes with this:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
dtoverlay=w1-gpio
dtoverlay=pwm-2chan

I am using Pi zero with reef v2.3. Linux kernel is 4.14.
In reef-pi settings, what do you have the pi pwm frequency set to?

rhospider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rpi_pwm_freq is set to 100.

Also checked PWM with gpiozero. Seems to be working, I can make the LED pulse with this method.

So seems to be an issue with reef-io and not my set up?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could anyone assist?
I think I understand what’s happening , it should work as expected after you reboot pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
manager , work in progress.. just the instance CRUD (create, retrive, update, destroy) API+ UI was done last week. No test yet.. still a long way to go, but I'll keep landing small changes , followed by an end to end refactor at the end (to increase code coverage/change any obvious design pitfalls)
Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 10.26.44 PM.png

brandon clow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to set up different lighting profiles for the same fixtures. I haven't been able to find a way to do this yet but wanted to see if my approach is incorrect. I use the diurnal for all of my 9 channels across 3 fixtures. The thought was to create a photograph mode for the lights in which I may define a preset fixed value. I created the channel assignment for this new mode under jacks. Then head to the lighting subsystem and assign my mode. I don't think this will work though properly after looking through journalctl -u reef-pi I see that this new addition is still outputting a value when assigned to 0 which I understand that once its created in lighting it's a constant output. Has anyone devised a way to do this? I looked at a macro to turn of pieces of the lighting subsystem but the sandbox is too shallow there. If there is a 0 value that's outputting while my daily diurnal is running I'm sure there will be a conflict.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back