reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tricky on a small tank, I kept 60sec checks since I don't want the heater to stay on longer, for one minute it raises the temp .5deg and then shuts off for almost 20min. I think I can go with this till the summer, I would like a longer swing but since the check controls how long the heater is on I don't want the check to be too long.

I agree that the hysteris would be nice to give a little more leeway, I would be willing to let it cool a little more but restrict the heat. Pretty interesting stuff, the patterns actually looking ok really close to the thermostat in the heater coming on and going off.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tricky on a small tank, I kept 60sec checks since I don't want the heater to stay on longer, for one minute it raises the temp .5deg and then shuts off for almost 20min. I think I can go with this till the summer, I would like a longer swing but since the check controls how long the heater is on I don't want the check to be too long.

I agree that the hysteris would be nice to give a little more leeway, I would be willing to let it cool a little more but restrict the heat. Pretty interesting stuff, the patterns actually looking ok really close to the thermostat in the heater coming on and going off.
Once every 20 mins is not too much for the relays...and that small of a load means the relay will last awhile.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you can use a smaller heater :)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the thread are you using event handlers / listeners within your code
Thats bit vague question :). Here are few arbitrary places where such things are used:
The backend code (go) uses http handlers for api. Different parts of the backend uses different mechanism, but most sensor checks are based on timer as of now.
The front end code (react/redux) uses event handlers for DOM/ajax stuff...

daveCB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All - Been traveling on business and have had no time to play; As a result, my system has been running hands off for a month. Hate to re-hash this, but take a look at the memory over time. This is running on a Pi 3 B and is controlling temperature and device on/off functionality along with reporting.

Capture.PNG

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All - Been traveling on business and have had no time to play; As a result, my system has been running hands off for a month. Hate to re-hash this, but take a look at the memory over time. This is running on a Pi 3 B and is controlling temperature and device on/off functionality along with reporting.

Capture.PNG

Which version are you using, they released a newer version that helped with the memory consumption.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib had this in the instructions:

Thank you for all the help you provide in this project, all of us deeply respect your feedback. For those of you dealing with the memory issue, try configuring the current and historical stats limit to a minimum (say 3 hours of current data, and 7 days of historical, which corresponds to 180 and 168 respectively), if this contains the memory usage, then it means we dont have a memory leak, and the memory usage is legitimate utilization of memory by the stats model. I;ll work on a better scheme to persist stats on disk.. we'll talk about that after the initial finding from tuning stats limits.

I've upped the current data value kept the seven day value.​

This is what I could find deals with current and historical stats, see above. I also saw an old post about the io feed consuming memory. Once I made the changes listed above my memory has been really flat.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hallow ranjib. Can Reef Pi be installed on Orange Pi?

Thanks

I'm sure Ranjib will chime in soon but I did a quick look up, it appears that orange pi can run a version of raspbian so it might be possible. I have not seen anyone recently posting about using one and not sure about the pinouts compared to a raspberry pi. Might be one of those try it out and post back on your findings. :)

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry wasn’t trying to be vague as I don’t know the code or who has written it or what level of programming experience the developer has. I’ll go back to just reading the thread.

Have you checked out the github page - https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi that is where the code base is located and contains additional information concerning the code base.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Capture.PNG
It’s a slow memory increase over the course of a month, it’s still not a level that should cause alarm (less than 50%). I’ll wait for another month before concluding this is a leak (and reload reef-pi) . Since reef-pi stores a month worth of usage data in memory this is not unexpected (memory utilization to grow slowly over a period of month)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hallow ranjib. Can Reef Pi be installed on Orange Pi?

Thanks
I don’t know, reef-pi builds are for arm6/7 and it expects raspberry pi like gpio layout. If those two bits are same as pi in orange pi, then reef-pi should run just fine, else it may need some build or code changes

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry wasn’t trying to be vague as I don’t know the code or who has written it or what level of programming experience the developer has. I’ll go back to just reading the thread.
The very first post in this thread and reef-pi website has repository details. It’s a standard github based open source project. It involved pretty standard stack of go based backend and react based front end. It’s very similar to professional software projects (or any good open source projects ) with full unit tests, integration tests, ci/cd pipeline and developer environment docs. Because it has all the standard bits, if you are new to any of this, it will be some learning. But at the same time you are learning fairly standard software development practices, which should be useful outside the scope of this project as well

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know, reef-pi builds are for arm6/7 and it expects raspberry pi like gpio layout. If those two bits are same as pi in orange pi, then reef-pi should run just fine, else it may need some build or code changes

I expect a few things might differ or there are some hard baked assumptions about particular things (which I2C bus to use, etc). Worth trying and reporting back!

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib, I'm having a hard time to get the macros to work, I basically would like to have one to shut off the chiller and all pumps for 10 minutes for feeding and another for the same equipment for 30 minutes for maintenance.

Is there a bug? Or am I just doing it all wrong?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back