reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everybody's help here. I have decided to go with building the whole Reef-Pi and all modules on one Ras Pi 3 b+ from scratch. I think I will enjoy this project and I see a lot of great help here if I need it! I should have all of the parts I need here on Wednesday #AmazonPrime1DayShipping. I waited on buying the pH module stuff I will end up going with the ph module from @Michael Lane as it cuts the price to $40 as to $80 having to buy the Electrically Isolated EZO™ Carrier Board and the Ezo™ pH Circuit. I will definitely go with this Milwaukee Instruments MA911B/2 Double Junction Ph Electrode with 2 m Cable and Gel Filled Electrolyte Solution as it is highly reviewed and is more actuate with the double junction. Just wish this pH module was supported already ;) but I will definitely wait as it seems like it could be in the next month. For pH calibration @Ranjib would 4.00pH, 6.86pH, and 9.18pH work?
Go slow and start small, build the power, ato , temperature features first and then extend it to the other things. EZO IC only supports 4,7 and 10 pH value. The ph board and pico board which we are building will support only two point calibration, so two values will do, as long as they are with 7 to 10. I think 6.86 and 9.18 will work, but lets cross check.

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go slow and start small, build the power, ato , temperature features first and then extend it to the other things. EZO IC only supports 4,7 and 10 pH value. The ph board and pico board which we are building will support only two point calibration, so two values will do, as long as they are with 7 to 10. I think 6.86 and 9.18 will work, but lets cross check.
Ok it would be great if we could make these work as they are super cheap and easy to buy. 2 point should be fine as we won't be going that low lol.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates on the ph driver .
After sorting out the i/o error issue , last night I noticed the readings are not changing over time, it’s always a fixed value,. I went through @Roberto_b ’s program and noticed we have a missing driver logic where the board is set for continuous reading. I updated the driver code and after past 6 hours of running I am noticing the values being updated .
CB252AB5-59C5-434E-B93C-0A702AFA6D83.png

Next I’ll continue working on the calibration integration . I have also ordered another Milawukee probe to cross check the reading .

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib is that the same pH driver which will be used for Michael's pH board? Or will that be different than the pico?
Yes this is the reef-pi open source/ openhardware ph board that’s designed by @Roberto_b from Italy , and reproduced by @Michael Lane . It is a simpler, no firmware board that can be configured for both ph or orp .
The pico base board has a full blown micro controller (among several other components) that can emulate this , which is why we hope the driver will work as it is for pico boards as well, but we’ll see . This is also opensource and openhardware board from @theatrus from California :) .

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is the reef-pi open source/ openhardware ph board that’s designed by @Roberto_b from Italy , and reproduced by @Michael Lane . It is a simpler, no firmware board that can be configured for both ph or orp .
The pico base board has a full blown micro controller (among several other components) that can emulate this , which is why we hope the driver will work as it is for pico boards as well, but we’ll see . This is also opensource and openhardware board from @theatrus from California :) .
Sweet thanks I'll definitely buy Michael's

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. and thats exactly how I arrived at 12v

Modifying the Adafruit tutorial to work with the Elegoo power relay and using a 12v supply, I would keep the LM2596 but dump the ULN2803 (for this) and instead tie the relay board directly to the 8 appropriate pins on the hat?

Perhaps still going through a DB9 (or some other cable) and having the relay board and outlets located in their own enclosure.

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modifying the Adafruit tutorial to work with the Elegoo power relay and using a 12v supply, I would keep the LM2596 but dump the ULN2803 (for this) and instead tie the relay board directly to the 8 appropriate pins on the hat?

Perhaps still going through a DB9 (or some other cable) and having the relay board and outlets located in their own enclosure.
That's what I gathered from it. Using a db9 cable just adds to the cost why not build the power plugs in the same box with the relay and pi and just hard wire them using jumpers which u could remove if needed.

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer not to run 120 AC into the housing I am working with, I can black box the outlets and have them mounted up out of the way. I was considering 2x 4 channel rather than one eight. Just a personal preference.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If the whole thing is 5V powered why you need the lm2596 IC? SainSmart documentation refers to use transistor in-between microcontroller I/O pin and relay board, and uln2803 serves exactly the same purpose, to have independent power draw and safeguard nothing draws too much power from pi gpio (should be les than 20 ma for each gpio and less than 500-700ma overall). I see more reasons to have the uln2803 in this case, am I missing something?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer not to run 120 AC into the housing I am working with, I can black box the outlets and have them mounted up out of the way. I was considering 2x 4 channel rather than one eight. Just a personal preference.
For smaller number of outlets there are few quality equipment from the digital loggers : https://www.adafruit.com/product/2935

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still looking for float switches and was wondering if they are all the same and all need resistors
i mostly use the dfrobot's photoelectric sensors. I have tested floatswitch , but i dont run them in tanks (just preference). The float switches were no name brands from amazon, whatever was available in prime and had good reviews

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 44 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back