reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Tom Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm using the ML reef-pi hat, with these temp probes:
I'll delete the db and start fresh and see what that does.
I am also running a ML hat, and so far things have been really stable for my last build. I will look though your build thread and see if you have called out what kind of connections you are using for things. Hopefully starting over will start things working!

:)

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
I deleted the .db and reconfigured, and everything is working correctly now, as far as I can tell. I'll monitor the temps and ATO and hope for the best!
I used to get the problems you were having with your temp probes a lot. Things that caused it were my lights and heaters turning on and even turning on a treadmill caused it!
This was in an old house. I have since moved to a brand new house and it is no longer happening so I put it down to old/bad house wiring.

Tom Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Ok so this may be a dumb question, but here goes lol on the health block on the dashboard (CPU/Memory current), what do these numbers represent exactly? My current CPU usage says 0.86, what is that number? Memory says 9.95, is that 9.95MB? Thanks!!
Can you post a screenshot of your CPU/Memory readout? CPU readout is in percentage, what Pi hardware version are you using?

LongBeachReefer562

View Badges
Reaction score
If I could see the current light level on the reefpi dashboard, io wouldn't be needed.
Hi Gary - not sure if you figured this out but in case not, I ran into the same thing and the solution was removing all spaces. I also removed all numbers and characters other than letters...one of these fixed it.

Tom Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I’m using the Raspberry Pi 4, 4GB. Here’s a screen shot:
FCD3654F-2561-4DE5-9509-7FCB541EAE44.jpeg
Your CPU appears to be running high, looks like you have some errors, are you running anything else on your pi? Now this is a PI 4 so you have a lot more CPU processing but I am running on a pi 3 a+ and peak at .21 or 21% which is what I believe it represents.

Maybe take a screenshot of your error page and lets see what the errors look like. You can also from and console prompt (via SSH) perform a top and see what is using the most cpu resources.

Bob Tiffany

View Badges
Reaction score
Your CPU appears to be running high, looks like you have some errors, are you running anything else on your pi? Now this is a PI 4 so you have a lot more CPU processing but I am running on a pi 3 a+ and peak at .21 or 21% which is what I believe it represents.

Maybe take a screenshot of your error page and lets see what the errors look like. You can also from and console prompt (via SSH) perform a top and see what is using the most cpu resources.
Just the latest version of Raspian. For errors I’m getting the occasional temp probe error that everyone else is getting, then I keep getting a bunch from Adafruit IO:

038A3FA1-4EDA-4785-9EA9-744814DF5B4F.png

Bob Tiffany

View Badges
Reaction score

Also I don’t see how this could be a percentage on the CPU because it regularly goes over 1.0, it’s at 1.6 at one point.

trustychords

View Badges
Reaction score
Just the latest version of Raspian. For errors I’m getting the occasional temp probe error that everyone else is getting, then I keep getting a bunch from Adafruit IO:

Are you using a remote connection like Teamviewer? I was having a similar issue where my memory and CPU would skyrocket and it was because of Teamviewer.

I would also shut down the raspberry pi and restart it. Sometimes things get hung up for no apparent reason and a power on/of will clear the issue.

Mike25

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi All.
I'm working on getting fail2ban up on my system. Does anyone know if reef-pi logs failed login attempts? If so, what log file would that be stored in?

Bob Tiffany

View Badges
Reaction score
Are you using a remote connection like Teamviewer? I was having a similar issue where my memory and CPU would skyrocket and it was because of Teamviewer.

I would also shut down the raspberry pi and restart it. Sometimes things get hung up for no apparent reason and a power on/of will clear the issue.
No, no TeamViewer or anything. I have shut down and reset a couple times lately, it’s always been the same and I’ve gotten those Adafruit IO errors since the day I setup the Adafruit IO feeds.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey guys. So my router assigned a new IP address to reef-pi last night thinks to a power outage. I lnow, I know. DHCP etc etc.

I've been searching for a tutorial to follow on how to set up a Static IP so I don't go through this again. Does anyone know a reliable one for me to follow?

Edit - my reef-pi is on wifi if that makes a difference.

BenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey guys. So my router assigned a new IP address to reef-pi last night thinks to a power outage. I lnow, I know. DHCP etc etc.

I've been searching for a tutorial to follow on how to set up a Static IP so I don't go through this again. Does anyone know a reliable one for me to follow?

On your router you can, most likely, set a DHCP reservation for the current ip adress that is assigned to your pi. See manual of your router how to get it aranged.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

This is related to either incompatible name of equipment/some other elements name in reef-pi (with space ) or too many data point being submitted to reef-pi. Adafruit is free account only allow 6 feeds

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi All.
I'm working on getting fail2ban up on my system. Does anyone know if reef-pi logs failed login attempts? If so, what log file would that be stored in?
reef-pi legs failed login attempt. It’s logged in stdout and available via standard journalctl -u reef-pi.service . Check how fail2ban integrates with journalctl. Keep me posted :)

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
No, no TeamViewer or anything. I have shut down and reset a couple times lately, it’s always been the same and I’ve gotten those Adafruit IO errors since the day I setup the Adafruit IO feeds.
Can you run ‘ps aux’ and share the output. There must be something that’s eating your cpu, reef-pi alone should not be that intensive

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Your router is the one where you have to make dhcp reservation. I use google WiFi which allows this via their app.

Have you ever owned an AIO Reef Tank?

• Yes I am running one now

Votes: 234 48.9%
  • YES in the past

Votes: 84 17.5%
  • NO

Votes: 102 21.3%
  • No but want to in the future

Votes: 55 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 0.8%

Online statistics