reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Read though most of this thread.. I don’t know if I’m over thinking this or just don’t understand..
I’m great at tinkering, and building, but lost as all get out.

Who want to build me one
Just want one that will probe for Ak/Ca/Mg

If anyone has one, send me a list and setup step by step of what’s need and what goes we’re..
I’ll send you my Halloween candy in trade!

The Best reef aquarium LED lighting

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Read though most of this thread.. I don’t know if I’m over thinking this or just don’t understand..
I’m great at tinkering, and building, but lost as all get out.

Who want to build me one
Just want one that will probe for Ak/Ca/Mg

If anyone has one, send me a list and setup step by step of what’s need and what goes we’re..
I’ll send you my Halloween candy in trade!
Don’t try to read this thread to understand how to build one. Instead reads someone’s build thread. I had no clue when I started and I now have two controllers running. I don’t know anyone probing for ak/ca/mg though. I’m not sure there is a sensor for that.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Don’t try to read this thread to understand how to build one. Instead reads someone’s build thread. I had no clue when I started and I now have two controllers running. I don’t know anyone probing for ak/ca/mg though. I’m not sure there is a sensor for that.

Good call.. I'll have to search something up. I'm not sure if I want is possible, but it is worth a shot in trying to figure it out

92Miata

View Badges
Reaction score
Good call.. I'll have to search something up. I'm not sure if I want is possible, but it is worth a shot in trying to figure it out
The trident/khdirector are both basically doing hanna-checker style liquid tests. Suck in water, baseline reading, add a reagent, do an LED based colorimeter comparison.

Not aware of any probes for those things.

LongBeachReefer562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
While not related to ReefPi I have an electrical question and given all the sparkys on this forum I'm hoping someone is able to share there input on the below.

I dose 2 part using the BRS 1.2ml/min dosers. My Alk doser runs 1.2 but the calc is almost double at 2.1 so I'm trying to figure out a way to be able to adjust the motor speed. Pretty much every BRS doser varies from 1.2-2.2 ml/min, it's a crapshoot what you get.

The BRS doser uses the below AC motor, unfortunately I cant find the datasheet on the OEMs website so the below pic is the only info on the motor I have.
1603215502898.png

I am wondering if I could use this AC motor controller to slow down the doser motor a bit which is made to work with AC fans from 8-50 watts. Does anyone know if this may or may not work?

I'd cry if I burnt out the motor on my new doser so hoping I can get some feedback before attempting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00809BQZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1603215424111.png

LongBeachReefer562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The trident/khdirector are both basically doing hanna-checker style liquid tests. Suck in water, baseline reading, add a reagent, do an LED based colorimeter comparison.

Not aware of any probes for those things.

Not sure about the Trident but the KH director and the Alkatronic actually use titration of a standard acid and a PH probe to perform an alkalinity test.

Most of the legwork is already figured out in the below article, it'd be a good starting place.
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/a-diy-alkalinity-test.12/

92Miata

View Badges
Reaction score
Not sure about the Trident but the KH director and the Alkatronic actually use titration of a standard acid and a PH probe to perform an alkalinity test.

Most of the legwork is already figured out in the below article, it'd be a good starting place.
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/a-diy-alkalinity-test.12/
I stand corrected.

So, basically we'd need a pH probe, and a bunch of very precise dosing pumps to pull in sample, administer reagent until proper ph, and then dump. Not super complicated - but probably very finicky to get exact.

Top Shelf Aquatics

LongBeachReefer562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I stand corrected.

So, basically we'd need a pH probe, and a bunch of very precise dosing pumps to pull in sample, administer reagent until proper ph, and then dump. Not super complicated - but probably very finicky to get exact.
Exactly!

Not saying the colorimetric wont work, just saying forwhatever reason the titration method is what most are using for auto testing.

The other thing I've heard (not positive) is that they use algorithms as well for inconveniences in case there is some anomaly and the test gets screwed up. Like say you test your alk a dozen times and it's readying 8.1-8.3 and you drop it down to 5dkh suddenly, I hear it wont read 5 but instead will take averages based on current and past measurements.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm nearly done building my canopy for the new tank & am excited to try out 3.5!!! Thanks @Ranjib & @Michael Lane for all the incredible work!

One question I had before getting into it this weekend- Is there any sort of documentation for using the ADS1015 with Reef Pi? I'm super interested in the LUX meter aspect of it. I just finished building a hybrid T5/LED fixture & the bulbs for it should be arriving next week. I have no idea what to expect when I flip that switch & I'm trying not to bleach everything out.
The ads driver will allow you creating two analog input connectors with it. Treat it as ph probe and the reading will be raw . Calibrate and control as you wish from there on.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
While not related to ReefPi I have an electrical question and given all the sparkys on this forum I'm hoping someone is able to share there input on the below.

I dose 2 part using the BRS 1.2ml/min dosers. My Alk doser runs 1.2 but the calc is almost double at 2.1 so I'm trying to figure out a way to be able to adjust the motor speed. Pretty much every BRS doser varies from 1.2-2.2 ml/min, it's a crapshoot what you get.

The BRS doser uses the below AC motor, unfortunately I cant find the datasheet on the OEMs website so the below pic is the only info on the motor I have.
1603215502898.png

I am wondering if I could use this AC motor controller to slow down the doser motor a bit which is made to work with AC fans from 8-50 watts. Does anyone know if this may or may not work?

I'd cry if I burnt out the motor on my new doser so hoping I can get some feedback before attempting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00809BQZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1603215424111.png
I’m not sure about this. You have to try it out and let us know. I don’t think any of us is using this , to make a informed advice

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib I'm having a weird thing regarding macros, I made a feed macro to switch off my return pump and wavemaker, also disable one of the temperature sensors to prevent the chiller switching on during feeding.

However only the item that's listed first will disable, on earlier versions it would work on a single macro. My work around is to have 3 separate macros and press run one after the other.

Is this normal behaviour with recent versions?

Can anyone else test and verify whether the issue exists on other setups?

Lazys Coral House
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib I'm having a weird thing regarding macros, I made a feed macro to switch off my return pump and wavemaker, also disable one of the temperature sensors to prevent the chiller switching on during feeding.

However only the item that's listed first will disable, on earlier versions it would work on a single macro. My work around is to have 3 separate macros and press run one after the other.

Is this normal behaviour with recent versions?

Can anyone else test and verify whether the issue exists on other setups?
It is not normal . Is there any error in the log?

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Got past my password problem, but so far I have a temp sensor hooked up - no problem configuring that - and a ph probe. When I try to configure that but when I try to choose analog input nothing shows up. I am using the robo tank with a pi 3+

Got it all set up

Last edited:

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score

This looks like a synchronous motor to me. I'm not sure if the controller you are looking at would support this type of motor and what type they use in AC muffin fans.

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
So I went off into the weeds in life here for a while. I would like to eventually get a reef-pi setup for my new tank here at some point hopefully.. Is there a better place to look at building up a reef-pi in general? I see someone said to look at build threads. Could you list a few of the good ones that would be worth looking at maybe?

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Looks I got some inventing to do.. LOL

They do have this automated tester. I haven't checked recently how well it works and how long it takes to get one.

Corals.com

Do you have an Aquarium Equipment & Husbandry Maintenance Schedule?

• Yes equipment ad husbandry

Votes: 110 54.2%
  • Yes but equipment only

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Yes but husbandry only

Votes: 24 11.8%
  • No I currently do not

Votes: 56 27.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 1.0%

Online statistics

Members online